Making a Murderer (Netflix) - New info

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Small town cops can be some shady motherfuckers. Big city cops are less so, there's more oversight. But this kind of shit happens, bros.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
This just reinforces something that we should all know...

"I want my attorney. Seriously, get me my fucking attorney....Am I under arrest? I don't give a shit if you just want my help...I want my attorney and I'm leaving unless I am under arrest."

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Small town cops can be some shady motherfuckers. Big city cops are less so, there's more oversight. But this kind of shit happens, bros.
Yeah, I mean there can be benefits. If it is a small town, you basically know everyone and your families have grown up together for generations, you may get a lot of leeway drinking one too many on your ride home down County Road 2. Or a bar fight with that one guy who cheated at darts.

But if you cheated on some sheriff's wife or crossed one of those family lines... Well there's either a swamp with some gators nearby or someone is guaranteed to be a pig farmer.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

"I want my attorney. Seriously, get me my fucking attorney....Am I under arrest? I don't give a shit if you just want my help...I want my attorney and I'm leaving unless I am under arrest."
I think I post this every year

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah I am only through episode 4 but I can't believe that what they did to that kid was legal. I mean, I can, but it fills me with dread and despair that we live in a world where some seasoned interrogators feed a story to a 16 year old retarded kid with no representation, and everyone is just cool with this. They probably high-fived after they got the confession, like this is how things are done.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I am only through episode 4 but I can't believe that what they did to that kid was legal. I mean, I can, but it fills me with dread and despair that we live in a world where some seasoned interrogators feed a story to a 16 year old retarded kid with no representation, and everyone is just cool with this. They probably high-fived after they got the confession, like this is how things are done.
You should see the retarded ways cops get people to talk. It really only works on retards or uneducated people. Then when they have to talk to someone who isn't going to fold like a house of cards with misleading questions, they get SUPER aggressive and act like they're going to kill you. I accused a detective on the stand of planting evidence on the stand against a burglary client (he did), and holy shit I honestly feared for my safety with the way he reacted. I mean, not "really" but he was Dallas police and I basically live in Dallas.

On the other hand if they went after every lawyer that made them look dumb they'd be mass murdering lawyers. Cops are not mental geniuses.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I always figured that they took advantage of uneducated people. But this kid is LITERALLY retarded. And 16. I just assumed we had laws that protected retarded people and kids from this happening.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I always figured that they took advantage of uneducated people. But this kid is LITERALLY retarded. And 16. I just assumed we had laws that protected retarded people and kids from this happening.
No laws protect the mentally retarded, but the jury should be able to take into account who they are looking at when they view someone's testimony. The juries in these cases were just unbelievably biased against the Avery family.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just finished the 4th episode (it's weird how lots of people decided to post after the 3rd or 4th) and this is seriously the most infuriating thing I've ever watched.

The level of incompetence by pretty much everyone makes me absolutely disgusted. I honestly don't even want to watch anymore, but I feel compelled to.

I almost posted that "Don't talk to cops" video before I saw Bisi did, too.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The must insane part of the doc was the retard 16 year old left alone for hours in an interrogation room with two cops, imo. Not sure if this was the mom's fault or not

I've said it before, that entire family needs to be sterilized

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
http://www.avclub.com/article/making...ut-key--230191

This is popping up all over the place. I still haven't finished the show so I have no real idea of where it ends up.
In one of my earlier spoilers I linked to the page that actually outlines that evidence in a little more detail than the AVClub article. Most of it still sounds pretty circumstantial, but still looks bad. Anyways, it is behind the spoiler if you want a look after you've finished. The Producers claim they gave ample opportunity to the prosecution and the Halbach family to be involved, so maybe it was them just working with what they had and not an intentional smear job?

Oh well, enjoy episode 4, it only gets worse!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Oh, well if that inept, creepy and accused (convicted?) criminal prosecutor says there was like tons more evidence then I tend to believe him. The same prosecutor who completely changed the timeline/story he gave in a press conference in his closing arguments. The same prosecutor that figured the best explanation was 'even if the cops DID plant evidence it doesn't mean Avery shouldn't be convicted!' If that prosecutor wasn't a creepy laughing-stock maybe I'd believe his internet bullshit claiming there was more proof left out of the documentary and even coming close to implying it was just a smear job against him. Would that be delusion are narcissism?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The article writer does a good job of falling into the same exact traps in thinking as he's accusing the jury of. Some of the evidence he claims wasn't in the doc (like the female cousin being held at gunpoint) was in fact in the doc and in decent detail as well. It wasn't just a glossed over fact. Not to mention that happened prior to the rape conviction and was used against him, wrongfully, as proof that he must be a rapist. For a rape he didn't commit. That had nothing to do with the murder trial 20+ years later.

Avery sounds like a perverted piece of shit but that doesn't make him a murderer and connecting those dots as such is insane when a backwoods, dumbass redneck supposedly killed and mutilated a woman but didn't leave a shred of DNA evidence anywhere except her car.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
In some interview or online post somewhere the DA talks disparaging of Avery saying he's the type of low-life scumbag that will kill and mutilate a woman and then try to blame his own family!

Ummm, first, Avery was acquitted of mutilating her, so at the very least that DA is continuing to stick to his original (yet sometimes changing) story that now means he's continuing to make accusations that contradict the verdicts in his own trial. If nothing else it shows how absurd the deliberations and verdict seem to be, and continuing to bring attention to something he should be underplaying means he's truly as blind a zealot as he claims the documentary falsely makes him out to be or he's just as much a dumb fuck as he claims he was falsely portrayed as.

And secondly, Avery chose not to pin it on his nephew despite that side of the family seeming suspiciously unsupportive and angry at Avery at times. I've seen white trash families like that were the close relatives are very jealous and undermining of the side of their family that has anything going for it, and having your name on the business keeping the family afloat at having to work for that name and live on the street named after that side of the family? Sheeeit, if you've lived around poor white trash that's a dangerous position to be in! Especially when the non-Avery relatives still seemed like dirt bags, but most seemed to at least not be retarded like the Avery's. The whole time my gut kept telling me they should have been looking hard into other non-Avery relatives at least a bit more than fishing for statements to incriminate Avery.

Those two bozos going hunting at 4pm, in separate directions, each alone, each only able to corroborate each other's stories, with plenty of access to the property, access and ability using guns, and then not even being able to stick to a consistent story? Their involvement could explain why the killer would put her in the back of her own vehicle, because they weren't just bringing her from the bedroom and/or garage where she was killed (depending on the prosecution's story that day) but having to store her at least that night until the time was right to get the body burned and put into Avery's burn pit. I dunno, seems they should have been looked at more than just trying to get them to corroborate the Avery theory, instead of just 'oh, you hastily went hunting alone and were seen by close kin on the way to them also going hunting alone, you're free to go!'

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Avery actually seems like he has a lot of moral character; he steadfastly refused to admit to the rape that he didn't do even though it would have gotten him out on parole. He did not throw Dassey under the bus even though he could have. He never admitted anything and stood up for his family.

Sure, he's a backwoods inbred redneck and has values to match; but I'm just talking about his character here.