Mammoth Blood Found in Siberia

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They are wanting to put an embryo into a live elephant.

Will that fit? I mean the embryo will but will that carry to term?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I believe they are similar enough genetically for it to carry to term.

I'm curious if this does happen if the embryo will have adequate enough gut micro flora to survive.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They are wanting to put an embryo into a live elephant.

Will that fit? I mean the embryo will but will that carry to term?
My understanding is that the gestation time for the mammoth would be longer than a regular elephant (2-3 months longer was the guesstimate), so a normal birth may not be possible. You'd have to pop it out early, or risk killing the elephant. Implanting it would be easy enough though.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They should leave it in there full term and let it chew its way out. Would be a badass way to de-extinct itself.

Szlia

Didn't they found frozen mammoth meat that was still edible a few years back? Or maybe it wasn't a mammoth? Google-fu time:http://www.cracked.com/article_19724...l-work_p2.html

So in the 1920s, people started finding mammoth bodies with meat so well preserved as to be edible ... if you call half-rotted and definitely freezer burned "edible." Having better food available, and also common sense, the meat was reportedly fed to sled dogs.
But in the early 2000s, Russian scientists weren't as choosy or concerned with self-preservation. Feeling the urge for some sweet, sweet mammoth steak, one reckless soul carved a bit off of the plentiful mammoth carcasses they had in their cold storage and Epic Meal Timed the shit out of it.

The resulting banquet was perfectly edible all right, but tasted "awful" and, shockingly, not unlike "meat left too long in a freezer."
That's not to say all ancient meat tastes like ass, though. When a 36,000-year-old baby bison was found frozen in Alaska in 1979, one scientist knew exactly what to do with it. He performed a bunch of experiments ... and then calmly carved some meat out of it and made a stew, because heavy sciencing makes for a heavy appetite.
The stew was not only edible, but deemed "acceptable." So, yeah, that meatloaf you've had in the freezer since 1994? Some day, after civilization has collapsed, risen again and collapsed once more, some cyborg will heat that shit up and declare it "OK."

Szlia

DNA is in every cell though. What's so special about blood that would make you able to clone the mammoth now and not before?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Actually, funny enough, in most animals, hemoglobin (red blood cells) don't have a nucleus, and therefore don't have any DNA. Leukocytes do though, your white blood cells.

Red blood cells don't need to replicate, because hemoglobin is produced by bone marrow.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Actually, funny enough, in most animals, hemoglobin (red blood cells) don't have a nucleus, and therefore don't have any DNA. Leukocytes do though, your white blood cells.

Red blood cells don't need to replicate, because hemoglobin is produced by bone marrow.
Not pissing in your cheerios but your prolly talking about erythrocytes (red blodcells), since your hemoglobin is basically an iron complex in your erythrocytes mainly known for its capabitlity to transport oxygen and giving it its red color.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Maybe Kim Jong Ill shelled Mammoth Island a few years back, a Mammoth Safari Park.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Not pissing in your cheerios but your prolly talking about erythrocytes (red blodcells), since your hemoglobin is basically an iron complex in your erythrocytes mainly known for its capabitlity to transport oxygen and giving it its red color.
Yeah you're correct, the entire cell is called an erythrocyte, and hemoglobin is within the cell proper.

iannis

Musty Nester
TERMINOLOGY SMACKDOWN.

NOW SPELL IT IN LATIN YOU FUCKS.

EOSINIOPHI -- OH FUCK ME IN THE GOAT ASS.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If God had wanted us to spell and speak in Latin, he wouldn't have sent Jesus with his alien powered space dinosaurs to nuke Rome like Hiroshima and Gomorrah.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
This thread is all kinds of awesome!

Long live EQ!

rrr_img_27989.jpg

rrr_img_27989.jpg

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
My understanding is that the gestation time for the mammoth would be longer than a regular elephant (2-3 months longer was the guesstimate), so a normal birth may not be possible. You'd have to pop it out early, or risk killing the elephant. Implanting it would be easy enough though.
I wonder if they could leave the mammoth calf with the elephant, or if she'd kill it for being a freak.