Mammoth Blood Found in Siberia

Lipitaur_sl

shitlord
Did someone say trampley?

Image.ashx

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Have they been able to bring back an animal thats been recently extinct?
Short answer, yes. Though it had only been officially extinct for a few years before they gave birth to a clone. It also doesn't seem to have lasted all that long before dying.Then again this was 10 years ago so the tech has likely come a long way since then.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rdo-clone.html

Though since it was a clone it was lacking a soul and therefore likely a demon goat.

edit: upon further reading the 2003 attempt never produced a live birth. The only live birth was in 2009 and lasted for a whopping 7 minutes.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so basically if they are unable to bring back a recently extinct animal (7 minutes probably doesnt count) its unlikely they will be bringing back an animal thats been extinct for 10,000 years?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
With how powerful modern tanks have become I seriously doubt an armored mammoth would be much of a threat to anyone. First of all, since they're living creatures they would be incredibly easy to kill even when heavily armored. Secondly, they would suffer from fatigue like any other animal and thus be ill-suited to prolonged combat or moving over vast distances. Their speed would leave something to be desired, as well.

I suppose they would offer a few advantages, though, such as not requiring fuel beyond simple food and an increased mobility in difficult-to-traverse terrain. I think they could be suited as more of a police force in occupied areas, kind of like you see horse-mounted officers in some big US cities today. An armored mammoth's biggest advantage would be the fear and intimidatio factor it would probably inflict on ground forces, which again would make it well suited to police and peacekeeping actions.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If the armored Mammoth had 2 flak cannons or rail guns mounted it would be a force. Think of it, you could hide it in brush or dense foilage and pick off armored targets!

I imagine you would have to use them sparingly and with a larger support force though. This is probably one of the most ridiculous/awesome discussions I have engaged in in quite some time.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The kind of weapons you could mount on a mammoth would be pretty limited. How much recoil could a mammoth stand? Either the force of the recoil would knock the mounted weapon off the mammoth or it would shatter/break the mammoths spine or other bones (depending on where it was mounted). I think the best way to arm them would be to make them kind of like a mobile weapons platform, with a high number of smaller weapons able to fire in several directions.

*edit* arming/armoring a mammoth like in the picture above would be a horrible idea. It's entire stomach and legs are exposed which would make it a horribly vulnerable target. The armor would have to cover the stomach and most of the legs, at the very least (and obviously the head). In terms of weapons, I'm picturing something more akin to the Oliphants in the Lord of the Rings movies; the mammoth in the picture above could have a small station on it's back for the "driver" and a gunner to sit, and a machine gun nest or other armored gunner position could be attached to either side.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Mammoths put out a lot of heat.

Wouldn't take much to find one in the bush and nuke it with a drone from 10k feet in the air.

Sucks. Bear mounted infantry might work though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Lazer cannons. No recoil. The armor isn't armor, it's an elaborate nano-mesh system for heat capture and dissipation.

Because hodj is right, you COULD just paint targets with spy satellites... but we already thought about that. That right there is a stealth mammoth.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Mammoth are ridiculously tall. Russian tank designs all have a some things common : very low profile (for a smaller target), thick armor (since the plates are smaller, they can get them to be thicker, the glacis on a t72 is 8" thick) and large main gun (cuze fuck yeah). All those would be either impossible or difficult to implement on a mammoth centered design.

In mountainous terrain they could have potential I guess. Although I have the feeling mammoths arent the best of climbers.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Mammoth are ridiculously tall. Russian tank designs all have a some things common : very low profile (for a smaller target), thick armor (since the plates are smaller, they can get them to be thicker, the glacis on a t72 is 8" thick) and large main gun (cuze fuck yeah). All those would be either impossible or difficult to implement on a mammoth centered design.

In mountainous terrain they could have potential I guess. Although I have the feeling mammoths arent the best of climbers.
Finally, someone who knows something about Russian tanks.

Szlia

What about KKND (or was the first picture from KKND?):

rrr_img_30077.gif

WAR MASTODON (E)

The reappearance of this creature is due to an Ice Age/Nuclear Winter similarity. It's an elephant with a severe bikini line problem and an automatic gun on its back for anyone who makes that joke.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
mythbusters proved that even the most armored of war mammoths can and will be defeated by one strategically placed mouse.

i dunno which thread this belongs in, but y'all remember the word "choad"

fat dicks? i dunno, sometimes you gotta call fat dicks choads