Man of Steel

Arakkis

N00b
I know this won't be a popular opinion and it doesn't fit into the normal mythos and theme of Superman, but I think I would love me some poetic tragedy and a more realistic portrayal of how difficult it would be to be Superman and have that much power. Yet show enough restraint to keep his acts of intervention on such a small incidental level and maintaining that level of separation and aloofness with our society while still being its caretaker. It is an interesting thought anyhow.
Same. The scene with the mother telling him to listen to her voice while he has his hands over his ears seems like it is portraying his ability to hear pretty much everything that goes on around him in a few hundred mile radius. It reminds me a lot of the scenes in Red Son like the one below that are used to explain why he just starts taking over the world. People regard Superman as a dopey boyscout hero, when in reality his story is that of a god humble enough to live like a man despite constantly being aware of all of the disgusting shit that people do.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It looks ok, any complaints about it being and Origin store (Iron man 1, Begins) or Being dark ( read the comics). With that said I havnt seen anything very interesting in the trailers

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
trailer looks ok. but somebody tell me where this TK superpower angle is coming from? are yall saying superman is now just a regular man with uber TK powers? like in chronicle?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It was a retcon some years ago. Personally I hate it, and refuse to accept it, but it was more or less created to explain why his suit and cape don't get destroyed every time he does something, or how he can catch someone that's falling without shattering every bone in their body. Essentially they said that he projects a TK force field around himself (only a few mms or cms at most) and anything within it is just as super as he is. I'm sure someone else can explain it more accurately, but that's the gist, and that's why I don't like it at all.

Personally I have no problem with that stone-quivering flight scene simply being like when a plane/car starts its engines and revs up, but keeps the clutch in. It rumbles like a motherfucker, but until you pop the clutch it isn't going anywhere. No reason his "flight powers" can't operate the same way without the TK explanation.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
It was an attempt to explain how Superman can do things that are physically impossible, i.e. holding up massive objects without just going through them because of surface area and force etc or being able to hold an airplane by the tail without it just snapping. So they explained that Superman can project "TK fields" that surround himself and objects so while it looks like he is holding a meteor at two tiny points where his hands are, the force is actually spread across the entire object with his TK field. I'm pretty sure he still maintains the increased molecular density and all the other jazz from previous explanations of his abilities, the TK stuff is just in addition to it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as long as its an addition to all supes other abilities then thats fine. if its just there for explanation of why he can grab a jet and not have it break up, then i guess its no problem. i didnt realize there needed to be an explanation. i mean hes a flying alien from space who looks and acts human and wears a red cape. catching jet tail sections without it breaking off are the least of things i would wonder about if i were to nitpick superman.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
as long as its an addition to all supes other abilities then thats fine. if its just there for explanation of why he can grab a jet and not have it break up, then i guess its no problem. i didnt realize there needed to be an explanation. i mean hes a flying alien from space who looks and acts human and wears a red cape. catching jet tail sections without it breaking off are the least of things i would wonder about if i were to nitpick superman.
The biggest nerds cry the loudest is the thing. Simply saying "because he is Superman!" doesn't cut it for some folks. The physics HAVE to be explained or they have a panic attack. I seem to recall some folks here crying about him lifting the island at the end of Returns. The fact that he can fly, shoot fire from his eyes, freeze things with his breath, and is practically indestructible is all okay... but fuck the writers if the plane doesn't break apart properly!
tongue.png

tongue.png

Caliane

See what happens when you try to explain it. ^

Slight visual cues.

But anyway, yeah back in the 80's the TK idea came up. Think it was Byrne.
It can explain flight, strength, how he can pick up things without them breaking. it can even explain heat vision. Its become a fairly consistent thing, although not outwarded stated more often then not.

Superboy, has telekinesis as his only power. which he uses to create the others.

Really though, its superman, dude has a bizzillian powers. Super ventriloquism.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't so sure about this movie until that trailer, but goddamn it looks pretty awesome. Superman is either a character you love or you just don't give a shit. No one hates him. He either inspires interest, or complete apathy. Personally it took having a genuine fan explain the appeal before he finally clicked. Well, that and watching a shit ton of Justice League.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The tactile telekinesis concept is not unique to Superman either, the first time I saw it was in Aberrant to explain why normal physics didn't apply when a character was using megastrength.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Just hoping they don't spend that much time on his childhood we all know what is, basically only doing it to show the teachings of Ma and Pa Kent, just need 20 mins max for that, 20 mins playing fisherman looking for himself, 1 min in handcuffs lol, and an hour+ fighting with Zod.

tumblr_mevnstg0MB1qdcoimo6_500.gif

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
So, I took it from the trailer that they lived on the coast, some kid saw Clark save the bus from the ocean, and they moved to Kansas. Retcon?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
So, I took it from the trailer that they lived on the coast, some kid saw Clark save the bus from the ocean, and they moved to Kansas. Retcon?
Looked like the bus was falling into a river, they still lived on the corn farm, the seaside images were of him as an adult and the bus on the street and underwater scene looked like it was just bringing up the past.

Caliane

its a river, the bus goes into.

There IS alot of ocean/water imagery in these trailers now that you mention it though.. wonder what that is about.