Man of Steel

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I thought this movie was good and for the first time, I didnt see Mr. Shannon as "that guy from Boardwalk Empire". I really loved how they did the speed in this movie, especially when that Ursa was fucking shit up. Non was not used enough and there was just too much wrecking of buildings. They kept throwing each other away and then doing a flying punch. I wanted to see more than just that.

Now dont get me wrong, I can have complaints about movies and still feel as though it was one of the best movies I have seen, even though this one isnt. I still like Superman 2 better than this one.
You mean Superman 2 with the finger beam levitation/telekinesis? Superman throwing his "S" net? The Kryptonian depowering room, which I thought was irreversible, unless the story needed him getting his powers back?

I do love that movie but, just like the first where they grant powers (like the turning back time) that when I was a kid I loved, but now I realized, none of the fits. I just makes it stand out as not really Superman to me.

It would be like Batman all of a sudden pulling out a gun and shooting a criminal. Which, by the way, was a problem in the first Batman when the Batwing and Batmobile both had killing weapons on them.

Caliane

You mean Superman 2 with the finger beam levitation/telekinesis? Superman throwing his "S" net? The Kryptonian depowering room, which I thought was irreversible, unless the story needed him getting his powers back?

I do love that movie but, just like the first where they grant powers (like the turning back time) that when I was a kid I loved, but now I realized, none of the fits. I just makes it stand out as not really Superman to me.

It would be like Batman all of a sudden pulling out a gun and shooting a criminal. Which, by the way, was a problem in the first Batman when the Batwing and Batmobile both had killing weapons on them.
you need to understand something about the first 2 superman movies.

They came out in 1978 and 1980.
Crisis on infinite Earths came out in 1985.

This was Silverage superman. Prior to Crisis, Lex Luther was a mad scientist. NOT a business man/scientist/tycoon. He WAS closer to the car salesman/real estate/scientist of those movies.
Same with bullshit powers made up on the spot. Silverage superman did that shit all the time. Super ventriloquism, super sneezing, super rearrage his face to look like someone else, etc.

Crisis normalized that. although, even then Superman technically does have the potential for powers beyond the ones normally seen.
The powers can change. Its not the powers that make him Superman.

rrr_img_30808.jpg

I think its kindof part of DC's problem. the general public doesn't really even know Crisis happened. their perception of these characters is somewhere between Superfriends, and maybe the animate series.

Kingdom come or Crisis on Infinite Earths would blow peoples minds.

Brad2770

I guess why I like Superman 2 more than the this one and any of the others was because in S2, Zod and the others used his weakness against him a lot. They were constantly attacking the humans to get at Superman. In this one, I didnt feel as though that was happening. Granted, he was saving the humans on a much grander scale, but that scene where Ursa was tossing soldiers like rag dolls, that wouldnt have happened in Superman2. I liked that superman was always there to save them. It's what made him Super.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Glad to see our general line of thinking that it would be awesome and reviewers can suck a dick for criticizing things that they shouldn't have held true.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I thought Michael Shannon was AMAZING as General Zod.

HUGE SPOILER, CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK
I can't believe they killed him off, though.

phen_sl

shitlord
I thought Michael Shannon was AMAZING as General Zod.

I can't believe they killed him off, though.
Pretty awesome scene though! I was really excited when they started to fight but then lol'd a bit at how much it reminded me of a Dragon Ball Z fight. Also, couldn't superman try and take the fight outside of Metropolis? As if that city wasn't completely fucked up enough

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Aaaaand I'm done with super hero movies. Dark Knight Returns, Spider-Man, Iron Man 3, and Man of Steel. You've burned me too many times Hollywood. Not even the Dark Knight and Avengers can keep this genre going anymore.

If you think Man of Steel was decent go watch All-Star Superman. That shit will blow your mind.
i'm with you. you can tell which posters are older (smarter) and which ones are younger. all the younger generation cares about is the shiny. they're like walking moths.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
For those that saw it in 3D, how was the quality? To date, with the exception of the Hobbit, I've found 3D to actually detract from the quality of the movie because it adds a certain blurry, "shimmering" effect that is annoying. The Hobbit has been the only 3D movie to date where everything still felt crisp.. Just trying to figure out whether I want to see it in 3D or not.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, it's completely impossible to enjoy a mindless popcorn flick while retaining the ability to appreciate intelligent cinema.

It must be terrible to be walking around with a dead inner child.

For those that saw it in 3D, how was the quality? To date, with the exception of the Hobbit, I've found 3D to actually detract from the quality of the movie because it adds a certain blurry, "shimmering" effect that is annoying. The Hobbit has been the only 3D movie to date where everything still felt crisp.. Just trying to figure out whether I want to see it in 3D or not.
I honestly didn't even notice anything 3D. I can't remember any scenes where it was obviously 3D, so either they used it extremely sparingly or it was so well done that it wasn' noticeable.

phen_sl

shitlord
Yeah, it's completely impossible to enjoy a mindless popcorn flick while retaining the ability to appreciate intelligent cinema.

It must be terrible to be walking around with a dead inner child.

I honestly didn't even notice anything 3D. I can't remember any scenes where it was obviously 3D, so either they used it extremely sparingly or it was so well done that it wasn' noticeable.
Besides the obligatory Superman flying around 3D effects, there wasn't much to note.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't bother with 3D. It rarely seems to actually add to the experience. I find it distracting most of the time.

i'm with you. you can tell which posters are older (smarter) and which ones are younger. all the younger generation cares about is the shiny. they're like walking moths.
^ What a arrogant cunt.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Movie was amazing really, even tho it did have a bit of some odd pacing in the middle during the arrest etc(that was in commercials too so no need to spoiler). The opening segment was awesome with how they showed it and everything that happened. The character development was mostly told in flashbacks which i didnt mind, they could have done more but then that would have made the movie 3 hours long.
The action was nothing short of superb, but i did however have a few issues with the final encounter. Not going into detail but the use of CG near the climax was confusion like the first Transformer movie.

All in all i give it a 9/10. If you arent some relic of the past awaiting Reeves to be resurrected so you can relive his glory days then id recommend this to you. It has humor albeit not alot like Iron Man, and it has its touching moments here and there. Honestly by a certain point in the flick you want a totally different outcome than what you know will happen.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Movie was amazing really, even tho it did have a bit of some odd pacing in the middle during the arrest etc(that was in commercials too so no need to spoiler). The opening segment was awesome with how they showed it and everything that happened. The character development was mostly told in flashbacks which i didnt mind, they could have done more but then that would have made the movie 3 hours long.
The action was nothing short of superb, but i did however have a few issues with the final encounter. Not going into detail but the use of CG near the climax was confusion like the first Transformer movie.

All in all i give it a 9/10. If you arent some relic of the past awaiting Reeves to be resurrected so you can relive his glory days then id recommend this to you. It has humor albeit not alot like Iron Man, and it has its touching moments here and there. Honestly by a certain point in the flick you want a totally different outcome than what you know will happen.
The guy who posted about Stanley Kubrick needs to get a fucking grip, this is a Superman movie, we always wanted to see a superman movie that wasn't just him lifting shit and holy fuck this was it.

The action scenes with Faora were awesome.