[manga] Everything Else

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tried to read it with my limited Chinese which is pretty much impossible. The author writes in a very old style Chinese with a lot of hard to understand characters. After that I basically wait patiently every week for the new scanlated chapters.
I just looked at the pretty pictures and got some of the story that way, which was enough to still spoil it. Lesson learned.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I just recently watched Shingeki no Kyojin and then caught up to date with the manga. I have to say it's a pretty cool story but whats with all of the manga's starting off with a pretty solid story and then jumping off into batshit insane about 2-3 seasons in?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just recently watched Shingeki no Kyojin and then caught up to date with the manga. I have to say it's a pretty cool story but whats with all of the manga's starting off with a pretty solid story and then jumping off into batshit insane about 2-3 seasons in?
Generally speaking, mangakas don't have a really elaborate and long story. When a manga gets really popular, they just start adding shit on the fly.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
New shingeki and new fairytale are both up.

Shingeki is getting interesting, there's some actual depth and thought in the plot, so it's a little weird.

Fairytale is still "powerup!" so whatever. I don't want to spoil it (yes I do):

Pretty sure dude is gray's dad.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Read Bakuman by the authors of Death Note, it teaches you how Manga works.

TLDR: The Japanese send in surveys ranking each Manga. The unpopular ones are cancelled so if your Manga starts to slip down the ranks then you introduce a plot twist to gain some popularity. The popular ones usually get an Anime and there is no guarentee that your second Manga will be popular and pay the bills, so authors are encouraged to stretch the story out. The Anime cannot stop - if it does then it doesn't come back - so they pad it with filler. This explains the issues with Bleach for example.

Attack on Titan seems to be an exception to some of these rules somehow (it's monthly which isn't covered in as much detail by Bakuman), they seem to be doing Attack on Titan Anime seasons as the material is ready?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Read Bakuman by the authors of Death Note, it teaches you how Manga works.

TLDR: The Japanese send in surveys ranking each Manga. The unpopular ones are cancelled so if your Manga starts to slip down the ranks then you introduce a plot twist to gain some popularity. The popular ones usually get an Anime and there is no guarentee that your second Manga will be popular and pay the bills, so authors are encouraged to stretch the story out. The Anime cannot stop - if it does then it doesn't come back - so they pad it with filler. This explains the issues with Bleach for example.

Attack on Titan seems to be an exception to some of these rules somehow (it's monthly which isn't covered in as much detail by Bakuman), they seem to be doing Attack on Titan Anime seasons as the material is ready?
Attack of the Titan is not the only exception to the rules. There are plenty of animes stopping for some seasons and then coming back after when there is enough material.

Some on top of my head: Hajime no Ippo (came back 2 times after stopping and coming back for the 3rd time now), Fairy Tail (they are skipping some of the chapters though), Saint Seiya (took them more than a decade to animate the hades arc).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ah saint seiya, hades, the ONLY arc worth a damn in saint seiya (speaking as a fan that grew up watching saint seiya as a kid). i remember when i found out the hades arc was out, i was sitting in my gf's house, we were visiting since we moved (in and out of state) when i saw this dvd cover of what looked like a gold saint... (like dauntless one said, it's been practically 10 years since i last saw saint seiya and pretty much it was gone in the anime loop), i was like omg, they made this. i find out later that my (soon to be) sister in law had to import it (again this was 2002ish, all you kids who watch anime on tv and online, don't know the pains to get anime... heck dvd was pretty much new at this time, i still had a closet full of anime vhs). then we talked all saint seiya, and i had to relearn the names from chinese (i watched it chinese dubbed in the 80s) to japanese.
what was worse for us, was that now in order to get the next chapters (inferno) we had to get italian/spanish versions since it's only really popular with the portugese, spanish, italians for some strange reason... and worse yet, those chapters then proceeded to be sucky like 90% of saint seiya.

anyway...
kinda disappoint in
TOG and
The breaker
this week, i expected greatness... guess i have to wait for this week to see it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If anything, shit is going down HARD in Feng Shen Ji.

Easily my favorite comic right now. Breaker is getting meh and ToG season 2 is a bit slow.
r
Read it all in 1 night - i like it and will follow it but its not quite as good as The Breaker as has the intrigue as ToG but it is very good indeed. I am very curious where the story is going to head next.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Er so Berserk is now on permanent hiatus because the author wants to kill himself from stress everytime he works on it?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh god, not sure what else to say. I didnt expect a heart warming reunion but i was hoping old dude would really rip into 9AD.