Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
They've been on a couple cruises and stuff, but otherwise correct. She still lives with her parents. One of the cruises they had to share a room with her parents :O
Any idea if they've had some chats and lined up on the important marriage issues, like religion, kids, money, etc? If not, pre-maritial counseling would probably be very helpful. A lot of churches offer it, as well as most marriage counselors.

It can save you finding out some big time deal breaker after the fact ("Oh, you wanted kids? Kids disgust me, no chance.", etc). And nobody wants that.

That'll be an interesting change, going from full parental control to married. I'd be more worried she pulls an Onoes situation on him: after a few years, she decides she needs to jump on all the dicks and peaces out because FREEEEEDOM. But I worry a lot.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They've been together for 7 years, I'm sure all the normal issues you're talking about came out just in casual conversation and observation. After 7 years someone will eventually say something that clues in their partner like "I really fucking hate kids"

Gravy

Bronze Squire
They've been together for 7 years, I'm sure all the normal issues you're talking about came out just in casual conversation and observation. After 7 years someone will eventually say something that clues in their partner like "I really fucking hate kids"
All that is true. But what about soap, or which way the toilet paper hangs, or drinking milk from the jug... all dumb examples, but just the little shit that can add up.

Edit: Also, a multiple day car trip with just the two of you is pretty important to get out of the way also.

Khane

I'm not saying it's a good idea to marry someone who's never lived anywhere but under her parents roof. Fuck that. I was just saying that his examples were probably already covered because they are major things that can't be hidden over the course of 7 years unless you're dealing with a sociopath.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They've been on a couple cruises and stuff, but otherwise correct. She still lives with her parents. One of the cruises they had to share a room with her parents :O
rrr_img_68866.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well they aren't engaged yet (this week they will be though). I don't know what they've discussed or not.. but I can't wait for someone else in the family to suffer through m arriage like me.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seven years. They have not spent one night together without her parents there to cockblock. There is not even a ring on her finger and she is already blimping out like she has been married for ten with no end in sight. She has a chunk of money she cannot touch because daddy said so. She is from a foreign culture.

At this point, I have to ask, is it sheer stubbornness that he wants into that fat smelly gash after seven years of hard work or is he incapable of going out and banging someone slightly less fat and slightly better adjusted?

Khane

She was raised traditional Portuguese. She's gonna be a bangin' cook and do all the housework. And she's gonna wanna fuck err'where in the house because her parents finally aren't there. But then there's that slow decline to the dark side everyone is talking about. But I'm pretty sure as long as her father is alive she won't try anything stupid. Noodle, make sure your brother knows to make sure his father in law stays alive forever.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Spanish/Portuguese women have to be one of the hottest ethnicities when young. When I was in Spain pretty much any chick not pushing a stroller was smokin'. The problem is they have that defective Mediterranean gene where as soon as they pop out a kid they grow a beard and metamorphose into something more suitable to pulling a field plow.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not saying it's a good idea to marry someone who's never lived anywhere but under her parents roof. Fuck that.
I met my wife when I was 26. At the time, I was still living with my mom (I'm a bum, I know). I had been single for 7 years, and never saw a pressing issue to "leave the nest" so to speak. Plus, me being there gave my mom someone to talk to when she was home. After my wife and I started dating, she moved into my mom's house. She and I decided to buy a house together (under my name, she was a legal alien and had no credit), but we stayed living at my mom's house for 4 months. In this time we purchased our house & did countless renovations. It was really easy because all of our stuff was still at my mom's place. We spent a full 3 months remodeling the new house. Tearing down walls, building up others. Redesigning a lot of things. Really making it "ours". After all was said and done, we had a really great house.

We ended up getting married about 5 months after that.
For my wife, it became a very worthwhile investment in moving in and marrying someone that had never lived alone. I was fortunate in being mechanically inclined enough to do almost all of the work to the new house on my own. Plus, I have a HUGE library of tools. It really worked out well.

My situation aside, I would still warn against marrying someone that hasn't been alone previously. I guess the best bet would be to start dating and if you decide you like the person, invest in an apartment for a few months. That's typically enough time to realize the intricacies of the person you're interested in. Are they a slob? Do they know how to cook? Do they like to piss away tons of money on stupid shit that will result in the two of you going broke?

Just gotta play the game to find out.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah in simplest terms, until you have shared a bathroom you know nothing.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yes, walking for 6 hours in one day is a big deal for many healthy people.
I really question your inclusion of the word "healthy" in that sentence. Did you mean "average" or "typical"? Someone who is reasonably healthy should easily be able to do that, even if they're a bit tired or sore at the end. If you can't, then you're not healthy by any definition.

Cad_sl said:
I'm sure I'd be tired afterward but a 12 mile hike with good scenery sounds like fun.
Totally depends on the terrain and scenery, of course. Walking 12 miles on the shoulder of a busy highway would be gay as fuck.

Frenzied Wombat_sl said:
If walking 12 miles is considered a casual activity for her, say good-bye to any hope of getting significant Xbox/PC playtime if things get serious. Sporty nature lovin' chicks like that can't stand the fact that you want to play video games when it's sunny outside. A 12 mile hike is pretty serious imho-- unless you walk a few miles every day your legs can't handle that.
I dunno, male or female, people should be able to understand their significant other has different hobbies and interests. I'm probably more of an outdoorsey type of person than my girlfriend, however she enjoys that shit too. She doesn't feel the need to go for hikes or runs or walks ALL THE TIME, and seems to not mind when I just want to sit and play some video games or watch some hockey (which has been a nightly thing for about 3 months now). And in any case, wondering about that kind of shit now is being way too presumptuous. At this point they're just fucking around. If he doesn't like the idea of the hike, don't go. If he does, go and have fun on it. But don't read in to it that his life of video games or TV or whatever is now or soon will be over.

TheBeagle_sl said:
This. Unless there's like 2000ft+ elevation gain going along with it, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone in reasonable shape not wearing flip flops or walking in 100 F heat.
Heh, I did a 20km hike one time in sandals. Not flip flops, but athletic type sandals. Some idiot told me the hike was "10km round trip", which meant it was actually 10km each way. My feet were bleeding in numerous locations by the end of that shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Look all I'm saying is that 12mi hike isn't a casual stroll and probably won't be fun for people who don't do it often. I've been on hikes longer than that and while going on one isn't going to kill me it's still way too long to be enjoyable for me personally. If we have to hike 12 miles to go see
havasufallsfromtrail.jpg

Fine, let's do it. But some people just like hiking around in circles in the woods where it all looks the same. Let's go on a 2 mile hike, then go swimming, grill and then I'll take a nap.

iannis

Musty Nester
A 12 mile hike is a big deal to people? Seriously? Depending on the terrain, that's like 4-6 hours, max. And he'll probably get to fuck her on a rock somewhere, while deer watch.
It's an all day hike.

We're not saying it's like climbing Everest. But it's an actual thing, an activity, unlike "lets go take a walk".

I doubt they're hiking on sidewalks, and at some point he will fuck her on a deer... so I'd plan for 6-7 hours.

Edit: You can do 20 miles a day on the appalachian trial if you want to and that's shit terrain (beautiful scenery, shit terrain). It's just a thing unto itself. Pack extra socks (its better to not need them and have them), and take a few bottles of water.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
12 miles isn't THAT big of deal, you do that much walking during a day in Vegas and you are usually wasted on top of that. But around here, a 12 mile hike usually also entails several thousand feet of elevation gain. Those can kick my ass early in the spring/summer when I haven't been doing shit.