Marriage and the Power of Divorce

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've got a problem bros. My girlfriend is kind of "earthy". She doesn't wear deodorant, she doesn't use scented or fragranced soaps or shampoos, she doesn't even use flavored, scented toothpaste. Everything has to be "natural". Now, she's not a hippie, she isn't trying to save the earth... no that's not why she is this way about fragrances and scents and deodorant. I found out this weekend she doesn't use it because "chemicals are bad for you. Deodorant causes cancer." Ugh...

I've known she doesn't use scented soaps and such since we started dating because she never smells like anything. She doesn't smell bad, she doesn't smell at all... usually. She just came to visit and we spent more than 2 days together for the first time since we started dating. She was here for 5 days. It was bad... real bad. The second day she was here she didn't even take a shower and she smelled fucking terrible. So I very politely and sincerely talked to her about it. I told her very gently she didn't smell great and that I don't think the fragrances in shampoos and soaps are harmful at all and I like how a woman smells.

She got sad bros. She didn't get mad, she got sad and then I got sad. Them feels. But fucking christ almighty who the fuck doesn't shower for an entire day? Especially after having a ton of sex the night before? Fuck...
That is disgusting. Tell the bitch showering regularly with any soap is better than being a cesspool of bacterial overgrowth.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a shitload of lavender fragranced chick soaps. Lavender is a god damnned flower ffs. Should be fine for the nature hippy.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah, it is disgusting. I put it out there how disgusting I think it is to her, just not in a "bitch you're disgusting" tone. It was a little more tactful and loving than that, which was hard. Because bitch that's fucking disgusting.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The whole "antiperspirants are scary cancer chemicals" shit (and this is kinda hippie shit even if she's not really hippie) is pretty stupid and annoying but not necessarily a deal breaker. But FFS at least shower daily? I mean, use ivory soap, fragrance free, plain old soap.

On one hand you maybe could have handled it differently. Power through and get her out of there somehow and next time be like "hey I know you are anti 'chemical' and though I think its not true, I got some natural soaps and stuff for you to have here when you stay over" and try to make her comfortable using your bathroom and stuff.

On the other hand maybe it was best to be blunt about it and not have to deal with it later if she just doesn't want to fucking bathe and would rather be a lazy stinkbomb every weekend or something.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Not using soap is actually fine (it may actually be better for your skin), but you need to shower every day and after vigorous activity of any kind if you don't want to smell. Remind her that it isn't her, it is the bacteria eating her sweat and creating waste products. You love the way SHE smells, but not the way her bacteria's waste products smell so you want her to wash it off so you can smell her.

On the prior topic, why would having an advanced student be harder? Being able to go at their pace instead of the pace the school would set for them is much better all around. The number one comment I hear from from people who were "gifted" in high school is complaining how slow classes were and how easy the work was. If you get to a point where they've covered all the AP material... just let them start college early.

@The Ancient: Not backed up by the only actual point of data available. That was the point.

Khane

Well I didn't say it in the terms I used to describe it. That was an ultra shorthand version of our conversation, and it was an entire conversation not just a quick line because... I don't even know why. Seriously, how is that even a conversation with a 31 year old woman?

By the way, not using soap might be fine, but not using deodorant is just ridiculous.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
She sounds like the kind of girl who would homeschool her kids. You should ask her what she thinks about that to help get the thread back on target.

Khane

She sounds like the kind of girl who would homeschool her kids. You should ask her what she thinks about that to help get the thread back on target.
That's the strange thing about it. She's not like that about anything else. Just the goddamn fragrances and deodorant. I wonder if she's anti vaccine... brb gonna ask her.

EDIT: Whew, she's not an anti-vaccer.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Well I didn't say it in the terms I used to describe it. That was an ultra shorthand version of our conversation, and it was an entire conversation not just a quick line because... I don't even know why. Seriously, how is that even a conversation with a 31 year old woman?

By the way, not using soap might be fine, but not using deodorant is just ridiculous.
You need to split that up. Deodorant is a scent to cover up smells. If you don't smell, doesn't really do anything except make you smell like the deodorant. Not helpful. Antiperspirants actually prevent sweating, which prevents the cycle I alluded to earlier of stuff eating your sweat and creating waste byproducts. Also not an issue if you shower every day and after any vigorous physical activity. You can buy things that are purely antiperspirants, but again it isn't needed if you shower. The problem here is her not showering after for a full day after sweaty intense sex.

Slightly related: You should put antiperspirant on at night before you go to sleep. It doesn't work instantaneously to prevent sweating and can be rubbed away with to much movement before it settles. Since most people don't know this, most people actually wear antiperspirant and receive no benefit from it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These folks are freaked out by the aluminum zirconium in antiperspirant more than any fragrance in regular deodorant.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Antiperspirants actually prevent sweating, which prevents the cycle I alluded to earlier of stuff eating your sweat and creating waste byproducts. Also not an issue if you shower every day and after any vigorous physical activity. You can buy things that are purely antiperspirants, but again it isn't needed if you shower. The problem here is her not showering after for a full day after sweaty intense sex.
That is not true for everyone. I sometimes sweat when I'm just sitting at my desk working, not to mention at dinner and at various other times. I shower daily and always after the gym/cycling/hiking/etc., but if I didn't wear antipersperant I'd have to take like 20 showers a day sometimes.

Seriously, how is that even a conversation with a 31 year old woman?
I think that'd be a deal breaker for me. Smell is such a HUGE part of attraction, not to mention the ickiness of not showering daily. And if she does that, what other nasty shit does she do? Does she wash her hands after using the bathroom?

It could be worse, though. At least she doesn't have a mustache. I had a friend once ask me how to talk to his girlfriend about her mustache.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've got a problem bros. My girlfriend is kind of "earthy". She doesn't wear deodorant, she doesn't use scented or fragranced soaps or shampoos, she doesn't even use flavored, scented toothpaste. Everything has to be "natural". Now, she's not a hippie, she isn't trying to save the earth... no that's not why she is this way about fragrances and scents and deodorant. I found out this weekend she doesn't use it because "chemicals are bad for you. Deodorant causes cancer." Ugh...

I've known she doesn't use scented soaps and such since we started dating because she never smells like anything. She doesn't smell bad, she doesn't smell at all... usually. She just came to visit and we spent more than 2 days together for the first time since we started dating. She was here for 5 days. It was bad... real bad. The second day she was here she didn't even take a shower and she smelled fucking terrible. So I very politely and sincerely talked to her about it. I told her very gently she didn't smell great and that I don't think the fragrances in shampoos and soaps are harmful at all and I like how a woman smells.

She got sad bros. She didn't get mad, she got sad and then I got sad. Them feels. But fucking christ almighty who the fuck doesn't shower for an entire day? Especially after having a ton of sex the night before? Fuck...
That's fucking disgusting. That's one of the best parts about the "fairer" sex to me - they usually smell heavenly. A chick who smells like a horse trough would be a total deal breaker.

Crazily

N00b

Hippies, that's who. You're in denial man!

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
These folks are freaked out by the aluminum zirconium in antiperspirant more than any fragrance in regular deodorant.
This, the issue is the perception that the metals inantiperspirantscan lead to Alzheimers. There is no truther shit out there about deodorant, no reason not to use it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It was bad... real bad. The second day she was here she didn't even take a shower and she smelled fucking terrible.
gag.gif

As someone who likes to jam my tongue into every possible orifice, this kind of shit is a deal-breaker.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Meh, I'll admit that the idea of clogging up my sweat pores bothers me on some level. Doesn't stop me from using the stuff though.

At the risk of outing myself, if I didn't do or plan to do anything vigorous that day, I'll skip the shower. How gross do you guys get after 24 hours of sitting at a computer/couch/bed?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Chemicals are bad for you!
Front image_drinking-water.jpg

Anyone who makes a statement like that doesn't have the knowledge needed to determine whethe aluminum chlorohydrate is harmful to them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not showering and smelling like complete ass may be a deal breaker for me. Sometimes my wife smells terrible, but she has a physical job and whatever - but at least she has the self-knowledge to know that she smells bad ("Can't have sex, I smell terrible").

I don't care if you want to use deodorant made out of recycled ferns and rabbit turds, just don't smell like 'bad'.