Marriage and the Power of Divorce

khalid

Unelected Mod
I know this is a sarcastic comment, but I think it's more true than you intend. I've quit Hearthstone 5 times now because RNG fucks you so hard sometimes that no amount of planning or player skill can mitigate a bad draw and mulligan. Being more competitive amps the consequences from RNG. It's the reason that the only card game I'll play(irl) is ten to one.

Rules of Card Games: Oh Hell!
Great great game, I wish I could get more people interested in playing it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had an incident once where I was playing poker with a dude that fancied himself a good player. I was just there to have fun, bullshit, and have a few beers, it was a $20 buy in so who cares right? On one hand (texas holdem) I played like a pair or something and didn't notice that I also had a flush. I turned my cards over and the dude lost his shit and yelled "I CAN'T PLAY MY GAME IF YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!" and almost walked out. I think he had seen Rounders one too many times and had already decided he was going to take my money with his magical poker skills. I didn't know that this was a serious business game and I was never invited back which was just fine with me.

In other words, yes, overly competitive dicks do ruin game night.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife is actually like this. On the work front, the only thing worse than dealing with a territorial woman is dealing with a territorial tranny (there is a mtf one in my department), because they take that catty woman shit and turn the dials up to 11 on it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Good poker players should see people not paying attention as a walking pay day. The only card game where it really matters at the table if someone has no clue what is going on (at least to my knowledge) is blackjack.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Great great game, I wish I could get more people interested in playing it.
Converted most of my family from Euchre and Pinochle. Probably two of the worst card games where what you do is determined almost entirely by what you're dealt. There's bidding involved, but you're familiar with the games, you know that you can only take that so far, the cards you're given have to back it up. Nothing worse than being dealt a shitty hand and "yep, I'm not doing anything important this round".

Once I got my family to try out 10-to-1, it didn't take long for them to favor it. They're likely not as analytical as me, but it's hard to deny the fun feeling of actually participating in the game that you're playing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Good poker players should see people not paying attention as a walking pay day. The only card game where it really matters at the table if someone has no clue what is going on (at least to my knowledge) is blackjack.
Yeah, that's why I said he "fancied" himself a good player. He also used to talk all the time about starting up a blackjack card counting team. He had a PHD in some sort of science based discipline so I assume that he was fairly smart but he just seemed like a raging douche to me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Converted most of my family from Euchre and Pinochle. Probably two of the worst card games where what you do is determined almost entirely by what you're dealt. There's bidding involved, but you're familiar with the games, you know that you can only take that so far, the cards you're given have to back it up. Nothing worse than being dealt a shitty hand and "yep, I'm not doing anything important this round".

Once I got my family to try out 10-to-1, it didn't take long for them to favor it. They're likely not as analytical as me, but it's hard to deny the fun feeling of actually participating in the game that you're playing.
Euchre is awesome. Probably my favorite card game. And those hands aren't useless. They can be stoppers. Sometimes that 10 of clubs is the only thing keeping the other team from taking all five hands.

I've never heard of almost any of these games you guys are talking about. What about Cards Against Humanity? That is a great social game.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Euchre is awesome. Probably my favorite card game. And those hands aren't useless. They can be stoppers. Sometimes that 10 of clubs is the only thing keeping the other team from taking all five hands.

I've never heard of almost any of these games you guys are talking about. What about Cards Against Humanity? That is a great social game.
They are most of the time. You've played enough to know there are times where your partner is taking all the tricks or you can't bid anything because you got shit. How is that fun?

Never played Cards Against Humanity. The internet has kinda spoiled it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Never played Cards Against Humanity. The internet has kinda spoiled it.
It's pretty damn fun, but you have to have a crowd with a dark sense of humor to get the most out of it, I think. How has the internet spoiled it for you, though?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
CAH is only fun with the same group once every 6-12 months.

It degenerates into people trying to make the most obscene combos and all other cards are considered worthless.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's pretty damn fun, but you have to have a crowd with a dark sense of humor to get the most out of it, I think. How has the internet spoiled it for you, though?
Kinda like jokes that are funniest the first time. Still funny later, just not as much. And obviously some of the better combinations have been posted to the internet already.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
If there is any game that makes you want to rage quit, it's Descent. I won't play that with my husband anymore. There have been a number of rule changes and expansions since I last played that he tells me make it better, but I'll never play it with him again.
Descent?

4e1e65c5f0fbca569322874b2e5e8703232e79c6.jpg

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Even the cave-spelunking movie came out, I still thought of that game. I have no idea why that game is so attached to that word for me. I didn't really play it more than anything else on the computer at the time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think Descent was the first game I ever pirated

Well besides Doom, but it was easy to copy someone elses pirated diskettes

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Converted most of my family from Euchre and Pinochle.
We play Pitch, which is similar to Euchre, and in some instances I've seen the same game called both. I also like Pinochle.

My wife is very competitive though, sometimes she gets worked up during the game, but never bitches about losing.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's so hard to relate to some of these venting girlfriend stories. I've never had a girlfriend (especially one I wanted to keep) that I've felt the need to frequently tune out because they were constantly talking about stuff I didn't care about. I feel like that would be a big item in the con list. Maybe my experience is uncommon but maybe there's something about the kind of women you guys are going after or the kind of women you attract with your outward persona.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
It's so hard to relate to some of these venting girlfriend stories. I've never had a girlfriend (especially one I wanted to keep) that I've felt the need to frequently tune out because they were constantly talking about stuff I didn't care about. I feel like that would be a big item in the con list. Maybe my experience is uncommon but maybe there's something about the kind of women you guys are going after or the kind of women you attract with your outward persona.
I dont think anyone is talking about their girlfriend...we are talking about our wives. Our Girlfriends are much easier to deal with.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dude I don't even think age makes a difference. A few months back CEO brings in friend to help with a strategic capture effort. Friend is like late 60's, and was effectively run out of her last job and has a rep in the industry of being a pain in the ass and a moron. I didn't know this, she asks me a question and I shit you not my email was "Hey, I don't have access to that information I think this person might be the person you want to reach out to you, I'm sorry for not being more helpful please continue to reach out to me if you have questions".

She told the CEO I sent her a snotty email.

And then after seeing the email I sent her, all the directors, VP, and President of the company, who already weren't super huge fans of hers wrote her off. She's a complete joke now. And I mean I had only been at the company for 4 months at the time it wasn't them circling the wagons or anything.

But come the fuck on. You are like 60 years old and you act like this? The fuck is wrong with you?
Lol, I don't doubt it. Generally, once women reach 35+ in the workplace the looks/dress competition dies out of them, so that particular aspect of drama goes away. Insecurity and defensiveness, which is another root cause for a lot of drama can certainly persist.

I'll put myself at risk of being a chauvinistic asshole here, but as a manager I will probably never willingly hire a woman, at least not in IT. Now I'll add here that I work in IT infrastructure, so the opportunity to even hire one has almost never presented itself (maybe 1/50 resumes are female, no exaggeration), but after witnessing what males managers have to deal with in regards to their female employees in other departments, I see zero potential benefits with plenty of drawbacks. Drama with other girls, insecurity over work product criticism, endless hour long closed door 1 on 1 meetings because she's pissed about something. When employee reviews come up, the male managers dread having to give a "below expectations" review, because half the time she's going to burst into tears and take it super personally. Again, this diminishes as the woman gets older, but in the 23-35 age group, it's pretty much an accurate generalization. Those women who don't act like this, and can essentially "play with the boys" instead of acting like some special snowflake with "protected status" in the workplace are the one's that get respect and promoted.

At my previous job I had access to the HR system, and it revealed some interesting stats. Over the course of five years, in a firm with 800 employees, there were 140 complaints filed with HR against another person. This is about 7 years ago, but I still remember my surprise..

-80% of the complaints were filed by women
-Of those female initiated complaints, 60% were against other women
-Of those female on female complaints, 40% were for "dress code violations". Yes I'm serious. These were women complaining about another women looking slutty. I clearly remember one specifically noting "can see black bra through white blouse".
-The rest of the female on female complaints were mainly for "spreading false/demeaning information", "verbal abuse", and "suspicion of inappropriate intra-office relationships"
- The majority of female on male complaints were for: sexual harassment, verbal abuse, and inappropriate comments