Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nah my grievance with WoW was the fact that BRF completely deprecated HM. I'm sure the next raid will deprecate BRF with just slightly gooderer gear. Just wasn't what I want from an MMO.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Except he isn't actually giving her child support. He is just giving her free monies and writing "child support" on the check memo.
So then its a gift, and still not taxable until he hits 14k for the year.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Except he isn't actually giving her child support. He is just giving her free monies and writing "child support" on the check memo.
There are generally two (sometimes three) exceptions where his Check/Memo child support thing would work.
1. It is during a separation period or the waiting period before the divorce is final (many times these are ignored anyway sincebackchild support isn't usually paid during these periods)
2. You have in your Child Support decree/order and agreement that child support can be paid directly this way (generally a good idea to have something like this in your child support order/decree in case ex-wife needs immediate cash for something child related. You can give it knowing it won't be declared a gift later on) (Also useful to avoid paying state fees)
3. You have a signed/witness agreement made after the Child Support order was made. (Note that disagreements here will have to be resolved in small claims court)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
?Well we all have indiscretions
I think you're my biggest yet
Had to roll you in some flour
Just to find where you were wet
?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I think you misunderstand what the gift tax is. It's an extraordinary tax you pay when making large gift donations intended to keep people from circumventing the estate tax. You don't get to take a deduction for giving people money.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I think Cad meant that the income to his ex wife is not taxable(to her), not that it's a deduction(for him).

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I thought the gift tax applies to the giver, not the receiver and the exclusion only counts for family or, if not given to family, when paid directly to service providers (tuition, medical bills, etc.)?

Either way, Onoes is financially exposed as fuck to a woman who has already proven she'll put her happiness ahead of his. I don't doubt shecurrentlydoesn't have any intentions of fucking Onoes over but what will happen if/when her situation changes or she falls in with the "wrong crowd" who gets into her head (another behavior she has a past history of)?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the gift tax applies to the giver, not the receiver and the exclusion only counts for family or, if not given to family, when paid directly to service providers (tuition, medical bills, etc.)?
You can give a gift to anyone. Exclusion isn't just for family. I'm not sure where you got that service provider thing but its not in any of the IRS documentation for the gift tax that I see.

Donor is responsible for the gift tax not the donee. Gift would be tax-free income for the donee.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, that wasn't supposed to be groundbreaking commentary more so it was alluding to the fact that Onoes thinks he has a unicorn divorce and has left himself in a very vulnerable situation because of that feeling. Especially considering her past history.