Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
platinum contains no nickle.

White gold does however. If you keep up on the rhodium plating on it however you may see no or at least less of a reaction, that will require dips at least every 3 to 4 months though.

platinum though is the most hypoallergenic metal you can get in terms of a woman's ring...outside of tungsten which presents its own set of problems in that it can not be resized.

I used to manage a jewelry store, is the only reason I know.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yea. White gold is somewhat of a pain in the ass, yet we still went with it after finding about the nickel plating needed. We just stopped doing it on our wedding bands (not the engagement ring). They'll be yellow soon enough.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, it was the platinum coating (rhodium, whatever farm animal of war lana) that rubbed off and then her hand would go crazy.

A pure platinum ring would be ideal but, let's get real here. It's a symbol, one that we are both fine without right now, I'm not dropping "fuck you" money on a meaningless symbol of corporate enslavement. We looked around and the alternatives aren't that great really, they all have their own drawbacks.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
So, my wife got a letter today offering her a membership in AARP. Chuckles were had. She's a year and a half older than me, but looks 10 years younger.

By the way, any greats ideas for a 50th birthday present?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The nickle allergy runs in my family too. The wife and have platinum rings and have had no issues. Platinum is heavy though, well at least my ring is, I have ridiculously large hands and my ring weighs a ton.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
hrm I just assumed that buying a platinum ring was rapper shit, but apparently they aren't that bad really as far as cost. Maybe that is something to consider.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never considered palladium, it looks promising, i will have to look into that.
Careful it poisoned Ironman.

hrm I just assumed that buying a platinum ring was rapper shit, but apparently they aren't that bad really as far as cost. Maybe that is something to consider.
Don't be a fucking bitch, get a meteorite ring. If I ever wanted to marry a woman I'd get that. Thankfully I don't.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_93654.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
So, my wife got a letter today offering her a membership in AARP. Chuckles were had. She's a year and a half older than me, but looks 10 years younger.

By the way, any greats ideas for a 50th birthday present?
I joined the AARP to get a ridiculous credit card deal when I was 27. You don't need to actually be old or retired to be a member.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You know nothing about me except that I'm overweight now, so you're largely talking out of your ass. True, my options would be limited now -- I wouldn't want to be with someone as overweight as me. I don't feel entitled to someone who has taken way better care of my body than I have in the past couple years. You're developing this whole narrative and I'm not really sure why. I'm not demanding makeup to be abolished. You seem very upset that someone wouldn't find the same people attractive as you do.
Preference is one thing, we all have that. You can prefer a "natural" beauty all you want, but virtually all of the most beautiful women on the planet are deemed so because of makeup/appearance modifications. In a sense, you're never going to find a "natural" 10. You may find a natural 8, but what pushes her to a 10 is the effort she puts into her appearance.

It just really rustles me when people who obviously give 0 fucks about their appeance criticize others for putting effort into theirs. Doubly so when they attempt to act like they'd be completely disinterested in having sexual relations with said people. It's easy to pretend like you wouldn't/don't care when the offers are nonexistent.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As an FYI, Stuller is a supplier of a line of rings to multiple jewelers. I'm able to get it for cost for what they sell to jewelers before those jewelers make them up to sell to us.

If anyone is this trusting, I'd be happy to help you out.

Fine Jewelry Manufacturer | Jewelry Supplies | Stuller
Every jeweler salesman says this. If you listen long enough they will tell you they dug the gem from the ground themselves and they have a guy in the back who makes all the jewelery in the world.

Also i never understood why people like platinum.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Every jeweler salesman says this. If you listen long enough they will tell you they dug the gem from the ground themselves and they have a guy in the back who makes all the jewelery in the world.

Also i never understood why people like platinum.
I'm not a jewelry salesman, but my friend who is a bench jeweler (he does repair work) orders replacement stones through them. Since he has a business Tax ID registered with them he can get both stones and jewelry for much cheaper than the public has access to and no, no jeweler selling you their pieces will get you their stuff as cheap as he/I can get it. I'm not looking to make anything off it, was just looking to help people out if they were interested.

No jeweler sells for cost, any telling you that is lying strait to your face. For those looking to buy something for their future wives, only go to places who are currently members of The American Gem Society. These places has much stricter standards on their prices. Chains like Helzberg and Ben Bridge are members but it's mostly limited to small mom and pop places. It's hard for large chains to maintain the standards that AGS requires so you don't see many of them in it.

To cut though BS of price haggling at a place such as, say Helzberg... they do limited discounting but they don't mark their stuff up like companies who are apart of Sterling's stores do (Kay, Zales, Jared, Goodman, ect) simply to make them back down and their discounting works as such. 5% off $500-$999, 10% off $1000 - $2999 and 15% off for $3,000 and up. At the point of like 6-7k they can call a special department they have to give you an additional couple percent off if the sale hinges on it. This is how their discounting works, they aren't giving it to you for cost, they aren't doing anything crazy no matter how much they may say they are they are just giving you a small percentage.

As far as Platinum, many get it because of allergies. As I said before, it's the most hypoallergenic metal there is and for some people, it's their only option. For everyone else, more often than not, we would try to convince people they didn't want Platinum because in the long run people get unhappy with it. Repairs cost 3x as much as gold (one tip runs you $90 as opposed to $30 and so on and so forth) and over time it looks like crap. You have to polish it often so it doesn't look dull and that wears away at the metal over time where as White Gold is a simple Rhodium dip and it looks brand new again for however long it takes your bodys oils/chemistry to break it down again. They only thing it is going for it is it's not a memory metal meaning when it takes an impact and bends, that stress at the point of it bending in typical metal doesn't exist with platinum. It'll fine and never get weak points due to bends like Gold and other metals will.

Once in awhile you'll get Mr. Money Bags who demands Platinum and whatever, but you see it less and less these days.

If anyone has questions about this sort of thing, I would be happy to help.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you can help explain why white metals are so popular now vs gold. All the bitches I talk to can't speak intelligently why they like things. The idea of putting rhodium over gold is mind blowing to me.