Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also we used to have sex like 3 times a day, and one of those was always at night. We got in the habit of slamming and then passing out naked afterwards, so part of it probably stems from the routine we got into doing that. Used to... used to...

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I worked through all the stages, from going to bed with her, to staying until she sleeps, to just tucking her in at night so there is still hope for your friend.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
To me "lets go to bed" is code for "time for bone zone" but I'm just a single dude.
I don't know how it works for most guys but there's no doubt whether we're having sex long before we go to bed. Also females obviously like to be pursued so if you show some interest that gets them worked up too. If you wait around for an invite, you'll be waiting a while.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My wife expects me to come to bed when she does, which is sometimes annoying if I am working on something. But our bedroom is a nerd paradise, so I can literally play games and watch TV in there, too. We call it the Wall of Shame and refer to the bedroom as the Reality Deprivation Chamber. Three TVs (one each for game play, one to watch TV), a bed with dual reclining controls, and a multi changer for our consoles and computers to route to the two game TVs. Not having kids is pretty awesome.

But the come to bed when the wife does thing is not unique and as was stated, they have that bullshit pounded into them at an early age. Trying to reverse the field on it is only going to cause an argument, because its a totally emotional thing. My wife does not give a fuck if I stay up all night playing shit on the PS4, as long as I am in bed next to her snoring ass when I do it. And to a degree I understand this, because having been with her as long as I have I have issues getting good sleep when we are not together.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My first wife hated video games and hated my playing them. It didn't matter if I was playing them even while she was at work, she hated anything and everything to do with World of Warcraft. She also hated D&D. About a year ago when my kids were visiting I took my son with me to a game and got him into D&D as well and she got super pissed off about it. I told her I didn't care, he loved it and as long as he did I would encourage him to play if he wanted.

Anyways, back to the first marriage...I didn't even play WoW much, I raided only after she was in bed but it didn't matter. I never understood it.

When I play games now I can go all day with her doing her own thing and me doing my own thing but as soon as I load a game up she senses it and wants me to do something, so I usually just play after she's in bed as well, which she's fine with. I still play D&D twice a month, which she sometimes doesn't like (most the time) but it's mainly because shes so introverted that she wants me to be too and she gets upset at times that I'm not. (which sounds weird to me, but whatever.)

So I still game quite a bit, just the hours altered to fit the life I have now.

Here's a question though, which I found weird when a friend was telling me about it. Does your wife expect you to go to bed at the same time she does? Mine thankfully doesn't but I have a friend who can be in the middle of something and his wife will be like "well, I'm going to bed" and she will expect him to do the same. Doesn't matter when it is, what he was doing and it doesn't even have anything to do with sex...he just has to go to bed too. That shit blew my mind.
My wife was jealous of EQ2. She called it my mistress. I know she was saying it jokingly, but I think the feeling was real. We eventually got a chair she could sit in and watch me play. We called it her creepin chair, because she sat in it and creeped on me. She couldn't see the screen, but she said she at least wanted to be with me. She'd sit there and knit or read or whatever (I don't know because I didn't watch her). Anyway, I think that's that your experiencing. I think your wives were jealous and if they never said it, it's only because they knew how ridiculous it sounded. My wife doesn't have any problems sounding ridiculous.

She also wants me to go to bed the same time she does, but she goes to bed at insane times. Like 8:00. There's no way in hell I'm going to bed at 8 when I often don't get home till 7. She doesn't really expect me to do it most of the time. She's started asking me every night when I'm coming to bed, as if me going to bed at midnight every night since she's known me isn't enough of a clue. She's also started going to bed later, which is actually cramping my style. I can't be looking at the PGT while she's up and running around! Also, I have shows like Vikings and Arrow to watch that she has no interest in. So lately, I've been telling her I'll be going to bed about 2 hours after she does.

We've only been married a couple years, so the sleep schedule is still working itself out. I know her ideal is me coming to bed the same time she does, but it's not going to work. Not only does she need to get up earlier than me, but I need about 2 hours less sleep than she does. I'm fine with 7, she needs 9 or feels like a zombie.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My wife was jealous of EQ2. She called it my mistress.
Every. Single. Woman. I have ever dated has called my video games my "other girlfriend". It's like sitting down to play a video game triggers their guilt trip gene.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Every. Single. Woman. I have ever dated has called my video games my "other girlfriend". It's like sitting down to play a video game triggers their guilt trip gene.
Yeah pretty much. It's basically "attention jealousy". They just can't stand the fact that you prefer to give attention to some virtual world over them. Worse, they absolutely go bonkers at the concept that you can't just drop a MMO at any moment to give them attention. It doesn't even matter that they don't have a good reason to try and interrupt you most of the time-- "conceptually" they simply can't abide by it. That's the reason why whenever you sit down to play, suddenly they come up with all sorts of shit they want you to do "now", despite "now" not being necessary. The number of fights I've had over this phenomena in my lifetime is legion, and is one of the primary reasons why I don't play MMORPG's anymore. Drove me fucking nuts.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
My wife fell asleep on the couch last night while we were watching a movie with the kids. I had spent all day with family for Easter-related bs, so I figured I was in the clear to play some bloodborne. As soon as the credits rolled and I got up, she sat up and said "I guess you're going to go play your game tonight?"

Yep, I did.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Them terrible wives, wanting to spend time with us. Ugh.
Dude, trust me when I say you could spend the whole fucking day with them talking about their work problems and watching the Bachelor, and you'll still get a dirty stare as soon as you creep away to play some WoW.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Consider a gaming laptop so you can play on the couch while watching TV with her. It won't solve everything, but being in the same place with her can calm the irrational disdain for you being in the office to play games.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The only time I've really gotten crap about playing video games is when I was going overboard in playing them. You do have to give attention but people should be able to have their own interests and hobbies. I really can't fathom being with someone like some of you are describing. Probably a red flag for other things if she gets that worked up about you playing video games (assuming you're not devoting an unreasonable amount of time to them).

iannis

Musty Nester
I couldn't deal with any of that.

I play vidja games a lot less than I used to. A lot less. Hell I've just got too much to do. But even so, if I had to deal with crap when I did sit down for a few hours to play one... that would cause a fight.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Woah, woah, RP stuff there. Snicker.
wink.png