Marriage and the Power of Divorce

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I read that article some years ago and it really put fear into me. Leaving my son in the car was a fear always in the back of my mind. I tend to daydream a lot and my mind wanders around while I'm doing easy or repetitive tasks. It happens regularly when I'm driving somewhere - my mind is elsewhere and ill end up autopiloting to the wrong destination before I snap to it and course correct. I often feared that I would do something like that and forget to drop my son somewhere.. but it never happened and now he's old enough to undo his own seatbelt and get out of the car if something like that happened. Not that it could since he won't stop talking for even 5 seconds so it's impossible to forget that he's there.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, when my kids were born was a weird time in my life. I was doing school full time and work full time and my wife stayed at home and had some issues with that which I talked about here way back in the day, so I'd come home and try to be "on", it was a mess. I'd read those stories and think, that could be me. There were times when I fell asleep driving, or just times when I ended up home or at work and had no recollection of how I got there. In reality, I think my paranoia brought on my my condition and reading those stories wouldn't have let it happen, still unnerving.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Never thought I'd end up in here.
My wife of the past 4 years decided to file divorce papers while I'm visiting my kid back in Canada.
She just told me an hour ago.
I'm quite aware of my failings in the marriage.

It's a two fold reasoning.
Financials are fucked.
And apparently her whole family wants nothing to do with me due to my Trump leaning, same with her.

I have my green card, no restrictions.

I dont even know where to start.

I'd like to propose a legal separation instead. But really have no idea.

I realize posting about how much of a shit the past 4 years has been in our lives is perfect flame fodder, but I need some guidance and help.
Pretty shocked and heartbroken.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can we start with what happened with the financials?

Obviously you don't have to tell us, but that has me intrigued.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’m always among first in line to try and help people here so I’d be happy to...but what specifically are you wanting advice with?

And yeah more details would be great.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sorry to hear that man, fucking sucks. How bad are the financials? Maybe that part at least is something that can be fixed.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Can we start with what happened with the financials?

Obviously you don't have to tell us, but that has me intrigued.
Yes. I'll be on and off the boards, still have my daughter with me for another 5 hours.

The ruining of her finances is mostly my own doing and I know it, will give the details that make me know I've been in a bad rut and been a shitface for 4 years. Even if it was both of us adding to the problem the last 2 years.

Hard to think atm, sry.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also, FWIW just randomly dropping divorce papers on someone is skeevy shit. At least talk to the person before. That, to me, is someone that has checked out awhile ago.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Also, FWIW just randomly dropping divorce papers on someone is skeevy shit. At least talk to the person before. That, to me, is someone that has checked out awhile ago.
Yeah, it's been brewing for a while but she never said a word. She swore she would never abandon or give up on our relationship. Fuckin shit hurts.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Putting the failing marriage etc to the side for a moment.

I think the #1 question that I'm searching for is do I keep my permanent resident card or if its null and void and I have to make plans to move back to canada.
Card says its valid for 10 years.
The only things I can find atm are all related to conditional green cards, not unrestricted green cards.

Anyone know the system well enough?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

No personal experience, but my cousin married a Russian and then got divorced a few years later. He's still got his green card and living in NYC (he being the ex-cousin-in-law). I think you're fine if you've got the 10-year card, and should have no trouble renewing it afterwards.

Sorry to hear about the personal situation.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
No personal experience, but my cousin married a Russian and then got divorced a few years later. He's still got his green card and living in NYC. I think you're fine if you've got the 10-year card, and should have no trouble renewing it afterwards.

Sorry to hear about the personal situation.
Thanks Capt!

iannis

Musty Nester
Gonna depend on your state. In NC i'm fairly confident the law is that you have to be separated for 6 months before filing for divorce. Which only means no co-habitation. If you're living with each other you're still married. But that's NC. California honestly who knows. It's probably something crazy.

I can't imagine that it will invalidate your greencard. Getting it is conditional on being married, but once granted it's granted for a span of time and becoming divorced or widowed is unlikely a reason to revoke it. No personal experience either... but after having seen more than a few Flip mail-orders... I kinda think it's the case.

If you want to retire here you might want to start naturalization before it's time to renew.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Putting the failing marriage etc to the side for a moment.

I think the #1 question that I'm searching for is do I keep my permanent resident card or if its null and void and I have to make plans to move back to canada.
Card says its valid for 10 years.
The only things I can find atm are all related to conditional green cards, not unrestricted green cards.

Your 10 year green card is valid whether you divorce or not. You can file for divorce the day after the 10 year is issued. Presumably you had the 2 year green card, then the re-interview and got issued the 10? So you’re good for 10. Apply for dual citizenship in 7 years or whenever you can and then you can be an American.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would start by not posting pictures of your dick in a_skeleton_03's thread. Between shit like that, your political views, and green card status, your soon to be ex wife has a fuck ton of ammunition if she decides to go nuclear. Start shoring things up, yesterday. Consider also that you are the enemy to her whole family thanks to the cult of the left's thought process and that they likely will go full nuke on you in the name of social justice at some point. Be prepared for that shit, in advance. Also, find out who your wife has been fucking while you were away because if she pulled this shit while you were out of town its most likely that she stepped out, unless she has an extra cunty friend who riled her up into this kind of timing for the whole thing.

Short version, protect yourself because you are going to get fucked hard when (not if) she decides to snap and lash out. ESPECIALLY if her whole family hates you.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Just wanted to say thanks bros. Celebrated 10 years with the girlfriend last week. We aren't married and this thread has a lot to do with it. Good look homies.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just wanted to say thanks bros. Celebrated 10 years with the girlfriend last week. We aren't married and this thread has a lot to do with it. Good look homies.

obligatory you're doomed and run for the hills post

• 1Like