Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I dunno, male or female, people should be able to understand their significant other has different hobbies and interests. I'm probably more of an outdoorsey type of person than my girlfriend, however she enjoys that shit too. She doesn't feel the need to go for hikes or runs or walks ALL THE TIME, and seems to not mind when I just want to sit and play some video games or watch some hockey (which has been a nightly thing for about 3 months now). And in any case, wondering about that kind of shit now is being way too presumptuous. At this point they're just fucking around. If he doesn't like the idea of the hike, don't go. If he does, go and have fun on it. But don't read in to it that his life of video games or TV or whatever is now or soon will be over.
Oh, I am admittedly being presumptuous. I'm assuming by her proposition of a 12 mile hike that she transcends your basic "let's go hang at the park" or "lets go play Frisbee" and is more along the lines of the camping/white water rafting/ziplining "always have to be outdoor types". You know, your typical Vancouverite. From personal experience these types don't get along well with your average gamer which they inherently see as couch potatoes. My presumption can be entirely wrong though and she could be playing Ms. Active to impress him, or could just be a "lets play Frisbee" type and is just trying to show off. In either case though, as you mentioned they're just starting off, and a 12 mile hike whose reward is getting laid doesn't sound like a bad deal to me..

iannis

Musty Nester
Well if she's got a tight little body, which Julian alludes to, she's keeping it somehow. Let her shame you (she will, fatty), but be subtle about it. Be stubborn that you are NOT shamed. Be defiant.

Most women I've ever met like that. If you lose every time you play it doesn't take too long to stop playing. It's the little victories that make life sweet.

And laugh at her when she eats a bug. Because she will be eating a bug at some point in those 12 miles.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
12 miles isn't THAT big of deal, you do that much walking during a day in Vegas and you are usually wasted on top of that. But around here, a 12 mile hike usually also entails several thousand feet of elevation gain. Those can kick my ass early in the spring/summer when I haven't been doing shit.
I was about to call bull shit, but i was in vegas last week and actualy wore a pedomitor as we have a "heatly step challange" at work sponsered by our health insurance provider. i turned it on at 11am and turned it off around 1am. it was 24,000 steps. I was damn tired. The internet tells me 2000 steps is a mile at 6'3 so one SOLID day in vegas is exactly 12 miles. A tip of the hat to you good sir !

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Heh, I did a 20km hike one time in sandals. Not flip flops, but athletic type sandals. Some idiot told me the hike was "10km round trip", which meant it was actually 10km each way. My feet were bleeding in numerous locations by the end of that shit.
So are you just being dumb or trolling? You say 12 miles is nothing at all but then sit there and say a 20km hike left your bleeding and fucked up. 12 miles = 19.6km.

Is a 12 mile nature walk going to slay you and leave you unable to walk? No but unless you do that regularly its gonna leave you pretty damn sore and tired. On the other hand if it is a actual hike(ya know with thousands of feet or hundreds of meters of elevation gain) then yes it will slay you and leave you feeling like dying.
Although it looks more like this in real life. Fucking AZ sun bleaching everything.

rrr_img_68879.jpg
Man fuck that place. Its on a indian reservation at the western end of the grand canyon and they have like a year+ wait list to get on the list to go see it. Also from what I read the water is dirty as hell from the indians dumping their sewage in that stream.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Phoenix, it's Supai. It's a small native village at the bottom of a canyon. It's basically a 3rd world country down there. Every few years it floods, and everyone evacuates, and then moves back in when the water goes down, moves back into houses full of mud and shit.

Nice hike, the water really isn't bad usually, but the area isn't anything special. People say its pretty, but what they mean is "It's slightly nicer looking than the rest of this god forsaken mojave desert."

Prime_sl

shitlord
Year waitlist? We got 4 passes for memorial day last year on about 3 weeks notice. Also the water isn't that dirty compared to any other river I've been in.

My problem with it is you hike all the fucking way down there and then you realize there are people taking helicopters down. The point of backpacking is supposed to be to get away from the super crowded places as most people don't want to hike 12 miles to enjoy the outdoors. Defeats the purpose when there are old people walking everywhere and the place is filled to the brim. But I'm pretty out of shape and I hiked down there with a 20 year backpack. If you can't man up and do a 12 mile hike you have some issues. It might not be enjoyable, but its definitely doable. I day hiked Mt. Whitney without doing any real cardio exercise for years.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You need to do Mount Zion in Utah. That place is fucking awesome. Both the Narrows (walking through the canyon as water comes past you) and Angel's Landing, which is a 1700 foot climb. That place rules.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a lot of good single people out there.

Good, single extroverted people with a well connected social life and a willingness to get in a relationship very quickly? Not as many...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Phoenix_sl said:
So are you just being dumb or trolling? You say 12 miles is nothing at all but then sit there and say a 20km hike left your bleeding and fucked up. 12 miles = 19.6km.
Jesus christ, it's pretty simple to understand: I was bleeding because I had picked totally inappropriate footwear due to someone telling me the hike was half the distance it actually was. Had I worn just about any kind of actual shoe, let alone a boot, I'd have been fine.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Should we open up betting on when crazy is revealed?
Put me down for ten miles into that hike when no one else is around and Julian is sweating balls.
As for her being single, there are plenty of possible reasons. It could be she is crazy/has a murderous ex/was a dude. But its just as likely that her nurse schedule combined with the recent move has made hooking up with a stable guy difficult. At her age she could be transitioning from random dick of the month club to settling down. I actually think Julian is in good shape here, just be on the lookout for obvious red flags before going all in.