Marvel Universe stuff

Cybsled

If this Spiderman deal works out, then the FF rights won't be relinquished...they'll just hold them hostage. "Unless you help us make a movie that doesn't suck, the IP gets it!"

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If this Spiderman deal works out, then the FF rights won't be relinquished...they'll just hold them hostage. "Unless you help us make a movie that doesn't suck, the IP gets it!"
LOL. But I don't think they could ruin the IP any more than they already have.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Namor isn't a mutant.
Umm actually.

From WIki:

The mutant son of a human sea captain and a princess of the mythical undersea kingdom of Atlantis, Namor possesses the super-strength and aquatic abilities of the Homo mermanus race, as well as the mutant ability of flight, along with other superhuman powers.

Dunno if its been retconned since 2011, but Namor is a mutant =\

(i hate being the umm, actually guy)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think they still say that, it's just the "they" that changed. he's the first mutant character created by marvel, not the first chronological mutant.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been preaching and praying that the x-men 'soft' reboot flops despite having mixed opinion friends. I'm just hoping that Apocalypse is the nail to the coffin, cause x3 clearly wasn't.
Nail in the coffin implies that the reboot isn't doing well, which it unquestionably is. It also implies that the first two xmen movies weren't good, which is also false.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I am entertained by the X-men movies. The original and Spiderman paved the way for the MCU afterall. Thing is for the past 8 years Marvel has killed it. I compare the movies and I like the cheerier and some would say more saccharin tones of the MCU movies more. For one thing it's bright. As in the GD fucking lighting! The X-men movies are filmed and presented like there is a permanent grey haze and this may sound like horseshit, but I come out of a MCU movie feeling like I had a damn good time. I am peppy. X-men? I feel like I was entertained but come out with a somber mood. The whole entire AoA trailer seems like that world is in one constant overcast day. Stop with the bullshit contrived way of making a movie look more dramatic. Marvel pulls it off just right. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Definitely know what you mean. They also lack the cohesiveness and continuity of the MCU. Instead we have loosely tied together X-Men movies and spin-offs that are for the most part disconnected. Legion's show and Wolverine movies completely disconnected, New Mutants likely about as connected as Deadpool, standing their own but with cameos.

They have a lot of irons in the fire but to their credit they've been reasonably successful despite the route they've taken in contrast to Disney's, as well as the absolute home run they hit with Deadpool. Will be very interesting to see how audiences react to a rated R Wolverine. I know it's what we want, but there's a difference between head shots and sex of Wade Wilson's exploits compared to a Wolverine movie that will could probably designate the first few rows of the theater as 'splash zones'.

It's the X-Men, and with how X-Men Origins went we're probably not going to get one-off movies of some of the ensemble cast outside of maybe Magneto. Does anyone even think they'll establish who Cable's parents are and how that came about? Or just 'ta-da, time traveling badass' given it's in a Deadpool movie and not an 'X-Men Origins: Cable' ? That's the kind of stuff we're missing, I have no expectation they're capable of telling a story like Red and Slim. The X-Men comics are an ensemble with occasional spinoffs (which are ensembles too usually.. X-Force, New Mutants, Gen X, etc), not characters that typically hold their own title and then become Avengers. Perhaps that's the comic nerd in my applying that reality to the movies... but the movies have done little to change that perception. Am I wrong?

Biggest thing that has to keep Fox execs up at night as re-casting Wolverine next year.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Marvel is the only studio that knows how to balance drama and humour in an entertaining fashion the characters don't take themselves too seriously.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
Don't lump in Deadpool with the other Xmen movies. Reynolds and Miller took full reign on the movie. Fox gave them a shitty sum of money just enough to shut them up and Reynolds and Miller ran with it as far as they could from Fox execs. and THAT is why it was a success....

Fox hasn't got a clue how to make a proper superhero movie, Xmen 2 was a fluke, reasoning behind that is even a broken clock is right twice a day. Singer hasn't made a good movie since, and Fox hasn't been able to pull off a decent superhero movie after that either.

Let's look at their track record...
Xmen, meh
Xmen 2, awesome
Xmen 3, WTF happened?
Xmen origins wolverine, SUUUUUUUUUUCKED
The Wolverine, could have been a LOT better.
Xmen first class, ok i liked that one, but it had a ton of flaws.
Xmen days of future past, sucked
Daredevil, sucked
Elektra, please god make it stop!
FF, sucked
FF2, Sucked
F4, SUUUUUUUCKED....Seriously i am still amazed by the fact that they completely took a steaming dump on Dr. Dooms mask and said, yeah theis looks awesome!.

That is why i see Deadpool as it's own entitity in a sea of shitty decisions surrounding Mutants and superheroes when it involves Fox.

Caliane

yeah, you guys basically collectively got the run down on Namor.

Created in 1939. not a mutant.
Mutants were invented with the X-men in the 60's. Part of that, has Magneto and Xavier suspecting Namor is a mutant, and both trying to recruit him.
house of M, and Namor: "the first mutant" in 2011, definitively, call him a Mutant.

The "first mutant" is of course kindof stupid. As it just refers to his character creation in 1939. not an in universe timeline of mutants. And even worse, as noted, he was nto a mutant until 1966 maybe, and definitely, in 2011...
Like "Captain American: the first avenger", when cap is not a founding member of the Avengers.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I am entertained by the X-men movies. The original and Spiderman paved the way for the MCU afterall. Thing is for the past 8 years Marvel has killed it. I compare the movies and I like the cheerier and some would say more saccharin tones of the MCU movies more. For one thing it's bright. As in the GD fucking lighting! The X-men movies are filmed and presented like there is a permanent grey haze and this may sound like horseshit, but I come out of a MCU movie feeling like I had a damn good time. I am peppy. X-men? I feel like I whas entertained but come out with a somber mood. The whole entire AoA trailer seems like that world is in one constant overcast day. Stop with the bullshit contrived way of making a movie look more dramatic. Marvel pulls it off just right. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else.
Casting is a big deal too. RDJ is one of the best fits to ever play a character in a movie. He is Tony Stark. Much of the same reason Deadpool works so damn well is Ryan Reynolds. But not just that.

There needs to be lots of actors that are larger than life. Fox and Sony try to get away with it on the cheap, filling major roles with unknown actors and only paying for 1 or 2 stars. That doesn't work.

All of the Avengers have been almost perfectly cast. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen and JLaw were good, but the rest have been meh. Now Lawerence's role has been massively increased because she is the only actor in the cast that can carry a super hero movie.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Casting is a big deal too. RDJ is one of the best fits to ever play a character in a movie. He is Tony Stark. Much of the same reason Deadpool works so damn well is Ryan Reynolds. But not just that.

There needs to be lots of actors that are larger than life. Fox and Sony try to get away with it on the cheap, filling major roles with unknown actors and only paying for 1 or 2 stars. That doesn't work.

All of the Avengers have been almost perfectly cast. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen and JLaw were good, but the rest have been meh. Now Lawerence's role has been massively increased because she is the only actor in the cast that can carry a super hero movie.
rofl no. Jennifer Lawrence is shit, and the only reason they're turning the movie into Mystique and also maybe some X-Men: Apocalypse is because she's the most recognizable actress in the world. That's also why she's spending 90% of her time as Raven instead of Mystique. Fassbender is the one carrying the movies, although McAvoy is doing a fine job imo.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
rofl no. Jennifer Lawrence is shit, and the only reason they're turning the movie into Mystique and also maybe some X-Men: Apocalypse is because she's the most recognizable actress in the world. That's also why she's spending 90% of her time as Raven instead of Mystique. Fassbender is the one carrying the movies, although McAvoy is doing a fine job imo.
I agree. If anything, Jennifer Lawrence is a handicap this time around, as her popularity is going down and she is becoming more and more annoying, sort of like Halle Berry. Those movies have been so far carried mostly by Fassbender and McAvoy (70/30) and Hugh Jackman. This upcoming one MAY get also a little support from Oscar Issac fresh off SW7. The rest are pretty much unknowns, except for Sansa but I always found her a bit irritating in GoT so I'm not looking forward to seeing her here either..

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I wish Jlaw wasng in the Xmen. Highest paid actress in the world bitching about pay.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't know her from anything else, so i just assumed her "annoyingness" was sansa, and not the actress herself.../shrug

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Don't lump in Deadpool with the other Xmen movies. Reynolds and Miller took full reign on the movie. Fox gave them a shitty sum of money just enough to shut them up and Reynolds and Miller ran with it as far as they could from Fox execs. and THAT is why it was a success....

Fox hasn't got a clue how to make a proper superhero movie, Xmen 2 was a fluke, reasoning behind that is even a broken clock is right twice a day. Singer hasn't made a good movie since, and Fox hasn't been able to pull off a decent superhero movie after that either.

Let's look at their track record...
Xmen, meh
Xmen 2, awesome
Xmen 3, WTF happened?
Xmen origins wolverine, SUUUUUUUUUUCKED
The Wolverine, could have been a LOT better.
Xmen first class, ok i liked that one, but it had a ton of flaws.
Xmen days of future past, sucked
Daredevil, sucked
Elektra, please god make it stop!
FF, sucked
FF2, Sucked
F4, SUUUUUUUCKED....Seriously i am still amazed by the fact that they completely took a steaming dump on Dr. Dooms mask and said, yeah theis looks awesome!.

That is why i see Deadpool as it's own entitity in a sea of shitty decisions surrounding Mutants and superheroes when it involves Fox.
I thought The Wolverine was great except when he fought the Shredder in the third act. That movie did not need a boss fight.