Marvel Universe stuff

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ianx, just because you aren't a fan of Fantastic Four, doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat. As far as the ultimate universe is concerned, they were one of my favorite series. Really great stories. What made Marvel Comics ultimately axe them was the poor response from that god aweful artist they just brought on, but then they finally killed them off a little before the latest movie came out. This might have contributed to the poor sales. No guarantee of that, though. But it's probable they were hoping for that outcome just so that Marvel Studios could potentially score a deal with Fox the way they did with Sony.

That's just an estimate, however.
It took the combined might of Millar/Morrison and Bendis creating UFF, for you to like em them? Hey don't get me wrong, if i had to "live with" a version of the FF, i'd pick the ultimate version, but that's just a modern spin on a haggered storyline. Of the FF what has been good? nothing, not a single good story or situation to put them in to make them worthwhile. for the past 10 years, it's always Reed in the middle of a lot of shit and the "family" are in the sidelines. Like when Civil War happened, "Oh let's just knock Jonny the fuck out, cuz fuck him, he's boring". "Oh let's make Sue anti-Reed cuz, husband and wife problems yo!"

The FF were saved when Hickman took over for that year and gave them an end, then they fucked it all up and re-rebooted them with even less personalities, Only to fuck everything up with Secret Wars. There's nothing redeeming about the old-616 FF, and it's best that they are just forgotten forever.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It isn't that it took the 3 geniuses for me to like them. I was heavily invested in the ultimate universe, and read EVERY title, start to finish.

I never bothered with FF prior to that, outside of a few crossovers. It isn't that I would read them and lost interest, either. I was younger, and I stuck with Xmen and Spider-Man. I also didn't touch the Avengers at all until the ultimate universe.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
While I'm not a fan of the FF, I just have faith they could be done well and entertaining in the right hands... and their property allows for a lot of things to drive future phases of the MCU.

Devlin

Golden Squire
All FF needs is a relatively straight conversion to the big screen, all they would need to do is make the outfits look good, not change them too much but have them look a little classier like they did with Captain America.

Ben Grimm hasn't been done well at all thus far, he needs to look as close to the comic book version as possible.

The problem is a lot of studios don't trust the characters they have and don't know what makes them work, you can 100% have an amazing Doctor Doom that looks the same as in the comics, ask Darth Vader.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Remember how cool he looked in the initial screenshot of the new movie? Then they changed the coloring of the screen to add some orange, and he was PERFECT! He was so close to looking like The Thing.

EDIT: Ok, I found the "original Thing" and then the Altered thing images from that thread. Spoilering them because pictures.

DQb7pfH.jpg

QjBgW5x.jpg

Ok, it looks like this was a flat out Photoshop, not a studio correction. They oranged him up, gave him eyebrows and elongated the upper lip. That looks a LOT more like The Thing. I think, in Marvel's hands, this series would be a masterpiece.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Yup, that is exactly how Thing should look, why do they have to fuck everything up so badly for no reason?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Because the film industry is full of non-creative nobodies that need their hands in the pot to justify their positions.

That's what it boils down to. Marvel doesn't seem to have that problem, but every other film studio does. An example of that non creative bullshit would be this made up scenario. "Ok, so Peter Parker is a reporter? Hmm, that's been done before. Let's make him a paper boy instead."

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Late reply, been traveling all week.

See this is what confuses me. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 made $709 million world wide, X-Men: Days of Future Past, made $747 million world wide. It was NOT a financial bomb. There were issues with the plot yes, as it was supposed to be setting up "The Sinister Six" and the Spider-Man Universe. It was certainly not as terribad though as BvS.
Amazing spiderman 2 was definitely a financial bomb. It didn't make a profit until syndicated tv. I posted this full breakdown in the BvS thread because someone was butthurt that Man of Steel was a financial bomb too.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 released May 2014
PDF of the complete financial breakdown here

Domestic Box Office: $202m
International BO: $411m
China BO: $94m
Global box office total, $709m!!!

which turns in to:
Domestic: $103m (51% of domestic BO!)
International(minus china): $160m (39% of international)
China: $23m (25% of china BO)
total $286m

Domestic Home Entertainment(DVD/BR): $81m
Foreign DVD/BR: $103m
Domestic PPV/VOD (Streaming): $24m
Domestic Pay TV (HBO, etc): $18m
Domestic Network TV (cable): $20m
Domestic syndication: $3m
Foreign TV: $78m
Merchandise: $25m

Total Revenue: $640m!

now on to how much that revenue cost:
Production budget: $255m
Domestic releasing (marketing) costs: $90m
International marketing: $85m
Domestic home entertainment costs: $24m
international: $38m
interest: $11m
Residuals and off the tops (back end deals on the production, % of sales deals, etc): $30m
participations: $10m
Overhead: $25m

Total Cost: $570m

Studio Net Profit: $70mil

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Call it optimism or hope. Who ever the creative minds behind the subtleties in Deadpool, if Disney were to pick it up, they could easily go from there and branch out. I really feel they made the conscious effort to be apart of the MCU without breaking anything right off in the legal department. I mean, theres no reason a self minded, self involved, lunatic would care for anything that is avengers/world happenings; insert xmen/xforce.

I'm dying to see both Doctor Doom and X in the hands of the creative puppet works of Marvel/Disney. I might have had rose tinted googles, but seeing Colossus being pretty identical source material, stole the movie for me. I hope Apocalypse is the sinking ship of reality for them much like Amazing Spiderman/Sony, while in all the same Deadpool is the life preserver floating adrift. Not that he needs any specific extensive cameo, maybe a face appearance, or a name drop and I could put money on it fans would be happy all the same. Directions! Directions!

I'm also probably extremely alone on this, but i'm assuming the rights to Namor are with FF and maybe X-Men? It's how i've always associated with him outside of his recent run ins with Black Panther. I was always a fan of him when I was a kid, he always seemed like the Asshole of the Sea.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Namor is supposedly in legal limbo as far as the license is concerned. Everyone that has looked into it agrees that it's currently unclear who actually holds the film rights at present. Marvel/Feige have been nosing around it apparently though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, I realize that X-Men becoming part of the MCU is still a huge long shot, but after seeing Marvel absolutely crush it with the new Spider-Man casting (and portrayal), I have to think that Fox might at least consider coming to some sort of agreement with Marvel, whether it is rebooting FF or even just allowing some bleed over between X-Men and MCU with select characters or whatever. I can't imagine that Sony is anything but thrilled by the fan reaction to the new Spider-Man and the anticipation of finally making Marvel money again with that character. If someone at Fox doesn't at least consider the prospect, they are fucking idiots, bad blood or not. All those people really care about is making money, and animosity usually goes out the window once dollar signs show up in enough quantity. Right now there isn't much more they can do to make more money than start working with Marvel. Particularly if Apocalypse doesn't kill it at the box office and/or public opinion. Sure, they have Deadpool now, but he can't prop up the entire franchise, particularly if Jackman retires. That's actually a perfect time to start working with Marvel in fact, since they either have to recast or abandon their top moneymaker. Fold it into a soft reboot, and bam! everyone makes a shitload of money and the fans are happy.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Xmen is so far beyond a long shot you come off as kinda delusional in that little rant of yours.

Fox bought xmen and ff for 2 million dollars and low single digits of profits from box office back in the late 80s/early 90s and instantly recouped all of that money plus more on the fox animated xmen cartoon run in the early 90s. As long as they make a profit they have zero incentive to renegotiate their contract with marvel.

Now fantastic four, the stars are definitely starting to align on that front. The latest reboot was a huge flop and having to pay royalties on a franchise you already lost your shirt on, and have demonstrated that you just don't understand the franchise...especially after seeing the sony deal and marvel's use of spiderman in their mcu. I can definitely see fox approaching marvel for similar terms for ff only. Of course marvel could counter, demanding mutants to be included in the deal, but fox would be dumb to consider it. They can just sit on ff until they lose the rights from non usage (decade+) while pumping out xmen/xforce/new mutants franchises and keeping nearly all the money

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The Spider-Man deal was fucking rainbow colored unicorn levels of rare for Hollywood. I don't expect to see a repeat with F4 unless Marvel is somehow able to get full rights to everything else associated with them and only be required to share the team itself. Otherwise it's gonna be all or nothing.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The only thing people like more than making money is making money by yourself and telling everyone else to eat a dick.

Xmen... Guessing never going to happen
Fantastic Four... might happen
Galactus, Silver Surfer, Doom... please make this happen!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't realize I was ranting, or delusional, but I readily admitted that it was a long shot with the X-Men. However, just because they are making all of the money right now off of a paltry investment decades ago doesn't mean that they couldn't be making more money than that with a different deal. Again, let me stress that I understand it is a long shot (or "so far beyond"), but if the numbers start to align, why wouldn't they at least think about it? Just because they make all of the profits doesn't mean that they are making the maximum they can. The movies still cost a shitload to make in the first place, so "all the profits" is still a relative term. Make a better or more popular movie for the same cost and depending upon the deal you might still make more money. And maybe even garner some critical and public goodwill as well, which will help with later movies.

Like I said, yeah it probably won't ever happen, but if some bean counter isn't at least looking at the possibilities after this Spider-Man deal, I'd be amazed.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'd have a hard time seeing Fox let one franchise go, and not the other. Unless by "go" we mean completely drop the ownership, owning Fantastic Four for them has been like trying to keep someone a live on life support.

I've been preaching and praying that the x-men 'soft' reboot flops despite having mixed opinion friends. I'm just hoping that Apocalypse is the nail to the coffin, cause x3 clearly wasn't. If they managed to get X-Men and mutant rights, I wonder how they'll go about w/ Wanda and Quicksilver, will it be a late discovery of their parentage? Lead into House of M? haha.

As far as Namor goes, I don't know how he would be for a Standalone? Most of my standalone content of knowing him has been a stash of Submariner cartoons that I got my hands on as a young kid. Outside of that I know him specifically for mackin on the woman, hooking up w/ sue storm, and going back n forth with Black Panther.