Marvel Universe stuff

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
When has Marvel fucked up a casting? Mmm Rourke in IM2 is the best I can come up with and that was minor. Until they fuck up they have the benefit of the doubt.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My only beefs are Elba and this other chick in Thor 3 who's playing Valkyrie. Past that their casting has ranged from above average to phenomenal.

Xevy

Log Wizard
My only beefs are Elba and this other chick in Thor 3 who's playing Valkyrie. Past that their casting has ranged from above average to phenomenal.
Cuz black? Elba is the fucking man and he could play fucking Captain America as a black Brit for all I care.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
And yet I don't have a beef with Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, or any of the other black characters, weird. It's almost as if my beef has to do with taking characters basedliterallyon white culture and making the whitest of the Norse gods a black man, and the female equivalent a black woman.

I like Elba, he's fantastic in everything I've seen him in. He was a good Heimdall. I still have beef with him being cast as Heimdall. Tired of double standards. I'm sure, Lyrical, you'd have been A-OK with me casting white men in "Straight Outta Compton" or whatever the hell that movie was, right? Or if you're not into that shit, whatever parts of black culture you DO enjoy, same goes. The fun part here is, no matter your answer, I get to call YOU a racist. Zing!

-edit to add better comparison- Here, "12 Years a Slave," Chris Hemsworth instead of Chiwetel Eijofor. Race doesn't matter, it never matters, right? Regardless of context.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
And yet I don't have a beef with Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, or any of the other black characters, weird. It's almost as if my beef has to do with taking characters basedliterallyon white culture and making the whitest of the Norse gods a black man, and the female equivalent a black woman.

I like Elba, he's fantastic in everything I've seen him in. He was a good Heimdall. I still have beef with him being cast as Heimdall. Tired of double standards. I'm sure, Lyrical, you'd have been A-OK with me casting white men in "Straight Outta Compton" or whatever the hell that movie was, right? Or if you're not into that shit, whatever parts of black culture you DO enjoy, same goes. The fun part here is, no matter your answer, I get to call YOU a racist. Zing!

-edit to add better analogy- Here, "12 Years a Slave," Chris Hemsworth instead of Chiwetel Eijofor. Race doesn't matter, it never matters, right? Regardless of context.
You should have ended with, "I have black friends." It would have been more believable.

P.S.: Make America Great Again and Seig Hiel, Motherfucker!

Xevy

Log Wizard
You must not pay attention. The Asgardians are aliens who appeared to the people in Norway. They're not from Norway. Black aliens can happen. Blue aliens can happen. Green ones could. Who cares? Just you.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought casting a black guy for Heimdall was fucking stupid. Idris Elba looked and sounded great, so I got over it quick. This is the first I've heard that they're casting a black chick for Valkyrie, and I think it's fucking stupid. It's just meaningless pandering, but people eat it up. If they had cast a white guy as Black Panther? That would have been the most epic shitstorm in the history of Hollywood.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It would have made the "Black" in the name even more ridiculous

:p

Honestly... it's just too impossible to know if throwing non-white actors at a role is pandering, or just that actor is good for the role. I fucking love Idris Elba as Heimdall and I really don't have any person that I would have preferred in the role. I guess the worst thing about it is it means Idris doesn't get to be a front-and-center character ever in the MCU. Same thing with the valkyrie... don't really give a shit what her race is if she does well as the character. Plus none of the old Norse tales explicitly state there werenoblack valkyries/gods/world-serpents/whatever.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Plus none of the old Norse tales explicitly state there werenoblack valkyries/gods/world-serpents/whatever.
Lol. Well I mean, aside from Norse mythology explicitly explaining that Heimdall was literallyThe Whitest of the Norse Gods. Valkyrie similarly described/depicted. But you know, facts interfere with diversity feelgoodery.

Again, as I originally mentioned, it's the double standard that I've long since grown extremely tired of. It's perfectly ok to trample white people/white culture in every possible way today, and quite frankly I'm sick of it. Elba is great, and his body of work is sizable, he didn'tneeda position in the MCU, although I'm sure there's somewhere he could have fit into an actual black role. I really like the guy they chose for Panther, too, and I'm quite pumped for his movie. But somehow I'm also LITERALLY HITLER according to Lyrical, because I defend my racial heritage/culture, while enjoying Elba and loving their cast of Panther and looking forward to the movie. Meh, par for the course, it's fucking 2016!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
kinda like how they cast a white chick to play a tibetan man?
They explained that perfectly in interviews. That part of the world hates one another. I don't remember all of the specifics, but supposedly Tibet is this hot spot of hatred in the various Asian countries. If "insert Asian race here" were cast, they would decline because of the ramifications the role would have on their families and stuff. If they cast a "real" Tibetan, it would not be allowed to play in China, which is a HUGE market. Their only option was a white chick. As non threatening as possible for the role due to so much racial sensitivity in the world today.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I thought casting a black guy for Heimdall was fucking stupid. Idris Elba looked and sounded great, so I got over it quick. This is the first I've heard that they're casting a black chick for Valkyrie, and I think it's fucking stupid. It's just meaningless pandering, but people eat it up. If they had cast a white guy as Black Panther? That would have been the most epic shitstorm in the history of Hollywood.
That's just it isn't it?

Make Wonder Woman a man or Black Panther white and there's an issue. We want to be punitive not actually create something new. That would be reasonable and wouldn't inflame passions.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Actually, I found an article about it.
The Blunt, Yet Difficult Reason Doctor Strange's Ancient One Isn't Asian - CINEMABLEND

Writer C. Robert Cargill was on the Double Toasted show recently and was asked about the choice to "whitewash" the role of the Ancient One by casting a white actress. The writer calls the part Marvel's Kobayashi Maru, meaning that it was utterly unwinnable for them. Whatever decision they made would create some sort of a problem. They didn't feel they could cast The Ancient One as he was traditionally portrayed in the comics, as the role was already a caricature, and even casting the part with somebody who was Tibetan could be a problem, as that region of the world has been a political hotbed for years.

The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet. So if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he's Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that's bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, 'Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We're not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.' If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet. If you think it's a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Lol. Well I mean, aside from Norse mythology explicitly explaining that Heimdall was literallyThe Whitest of the Norse Gods. Valkyrie similarly described/depicted. But you know, facts interfere with diversity feelgoodery.

Again, as I originally mentioned, it's the double standard that I've long since grown extremely tired of. It's perfectly ok to trample white people/white culture in every possible way today, and quite frankly I'm sick of it. Elba is great, and his body of work is sizable, he didn'tneeda position in the MCU, although I'm sure there's somewhere he could have fit into an actual black role. I really like the guy they chose for Panther, too, and I'm quite pumped for his movie. But somehow I'm also LITERALLY HITLER according to Lyrical, because I defend my racial heritage/culture, while enjoying Elba and loving their cast of Panther and looking forward to the movie. Meh, par for the course, it's fucking 2016!
Thor in Norse Mythology has red hair/beard. Get triggered.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The only thing that annoys me about it is the double standard. Gods of Egypt, Or Exodus (Both shit movies) have Caucasians Europeans playing Caucasian Phoenicians, and it's a slight against diversity and obvious racism; because these characters are proud aspects African cultural heritage. Replace a nose mythological figure with a black dude though? That's empowering, that's diversity.

Again, I don't think the race of the character should matter at all, especially in regards to mythological figures (That don't really exist) or Ancient figures whom we really don't know the race of anyway. Want a black Odin? Cool. White person as an Ancient Tibetan master? Fine. It does not matter. It shouldn't, actors are there to act, it's ridiculous we believe an actor of one color can't act like another culture--isn't that literally what they are supposed to do? (In fact, the most annoying thing about Elba being Hiemdal was he couldn't be a more prominent character because he got that little shit part.)

People need to make up their mind, is race a tiny, inconsequential thing that we shouldn't judge people on, or is it the defining characteristic which everything is based on. I personally think it's a pretty damn inconsequential thing, and the quicker we don't freak out about it, the better. With the world growing more connected, it's inevitable. However, that needs to work both ways. Holding a double standard is idiotic, either race is a huge thing that is too important to swap, or it's not. I personally believe it's not, but that belief needs to be universal if its applied at all.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, the Norse pantheon in mythology doesn't have black people in it. Or brown people. It's entirely based upon pale ass white folks from northern Europe. I liked Elba in the role and I'm not overly offended they switched a character. But it's a hilarious double standard when a character is "white washed" in a movie and people get all bitchy about it but don't see the parallel with people upset about Heimdall being changed.

White people just aren't as important to portray accurately in movies to a vocal minority in the media as literally any other combination of ethnic/cultural group.