Marvel Universe stuff

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ancient one being portrayed by a white female actress could easily be explained by slightly altering the story. In "THIS" reality, Tibet was a city of Caucasians. Cannot even argue the logic given that the entire premise of Dr. Strange's power revolves around reality manipulation.

Of course there is the idea that all of it is fiction anyways...

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Again, as I originally mentioned, it's the double standard that I've long since grown extremely tired of. It's perfectly ok to trample white people/white culture in every possible way today, and quite frankly I'm sick of it.
...and the revolution starts here?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
We want to be punitive not actually create something new.
It's not punitive. It's a marketed property and they're trying to broaden the appeal with racial diversity in the cast. Many of these titles and characters were created back before minorities had a lot of purchasing power so they were not attractive as a market then and weren't catered to to any significant degree. If minorities are to be depicted in many of the hero roles now, it requires changing some things.

And part of the whole appeal of comics to the studios is they have this massive library of source material for mining. They've acquired the rights to them so they can simply adapt the material rather than create new things out of whole cloth.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I hate double standards, bitching about white-washing = bad, diversity = good, is just ignorant of society and history. There's a reason white-washing has a negative connotation right now and I wouldn't be surprised if in 40, 50 years it wasn't anymore. But right now? Fuck yea.

Again, I really, really doubt Idris was cast as Heimdall because "diversity" or "he needed work", as you pointed out he did NOT need a free ride. More than likely he was cast because they liked him for the role, which is fine. There's honestly been minimal complaints about the Ancient one being white (probably less than the bitching about black Heimdall/Valkyrie actually). Add to that that the whole Marvel-Asgard thing (especially the MCU version) is heavily in the realm of "inspire-by" rather than actually representing the mythology and it's just... pointless to care about it. Really. Don't go see it if it bothers you that much but double standard or not I feel we're better off for it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
you cast a white chick as a tibetan male and everyone is fine. you cast a black guy as an alien demi-god and everyone loses their mind

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hey faggots, we finally got our Captain Marvel casting, and after only a couple of posts we're bitching about something else.

I was all about Blunt, and then Winnick, but I did mention the age thing being a factor awhile ago, so it makes sense that they went with someone so young in Brie Larson. She could potentially be starring in these movies 7-12 years from now easily (since her own movie isn't even for 3 more years), so getting someone young gives them a lot more leeway. And she's probably poised to be one of the next big "it" actresses even without this role, so it is kind of a coup that they signed her before she really took off. Thank God she seems to be the real deal (so far) and not a fucking vapid cunt like Jennifer Lawrence.

The more I get used to the idea, the more excited I am about it. Yeah, she wasn't my first choice, or my second, but now that we have it, I'm actually pretty thrilled to see how she does, and pretty confident that she'll fucking nail it. I'm going to go out on a limb here (I know, not much of a limb) and say that Captain Marvel will probably blow fucking Wonder Woman out of the water, movie-wise.

And, she's from Sacramento, so there's a microscopic possibility I saw her once before she was famous! <soyouretellingmetheresachance.jpg>

Also, come on man! Look at this! Me gusta.
rrr_img_137160.jpg

Sterling

El Presidente
Hey faggots, we finally got our Captain Marvel casting, and after only a couple of posts we're bitching about something else.

I was all about Blunt, and then Winnick, but I did mention the age thing being a factor awhile ago, so it makes sense that they went with someone so young in Brie Larson. She could potentially be starring in these movies 7-12 years from now easily (since her own movie isn't even for 3 more years), so getting someone young gives them a lot more leeway. And she's probably poised to be one of the next big "it" actresses even without this role, so it is kind of a coup that they signed her before she really took off. Thank God she seems to be the real deal (so far) and not a fucking vapid cunt like Jennifer Lawrence.

The more I get used to the idea, the more excited I am about it. Yeah, she wasn't my first choice, or my second, but now that we have it, I'm actually pretty thrilled to see how she does, and pretty confident that she'll fucking nail it. I'm going to go out on a limb here (I know, not much of a limb) and say that Captain Marvel will probably blow fucking Wonder Woman out of the water, movie-wise.

And, she's from Sacramento, so there's a microscopic possibility I saw her once before she was famous! <soyouretellingmetheresachance.jpg>

rrr_img_137160.jpg
Yeah, wasn't someone I would have specifically thought of, but probably will work out just fine. And yes, I would pee in her butt.

Royal

I honestly don't question Marvel's casting at this point. I have some issues with Swinton as The Ancient One just because when I hear the name "The Ancient One" the image of her in a bald cap is far down on the list of things that come to mind. And she still might win me over with her performance.

But they've earned a huge measure of trust from me on casting decisions.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I honestly don't question Marvel's casting at this point. I have some issues with Swinton as The Ancient One just because when I hear the name "The Ancient One" the image of her in a bald cap is far down on the list of things that come to mind. And she still might win me over with her performance.

But they've earned a huge measure of trust from me on casting decisions.
Basically a more longer winded similar post to what I made, and the immediate responses were confirmed racist/LITERALLY HITLER. Just Xevy/Lyrical things.

Yeah, Brie should be great as Marvel.

Royal

Basically a more longer winded similar post to what I made, and the immediate responses were confirmed racist/LITERALLY HITLER. Just Xevy/Lyrical things.

Yeah, Brie should be great as Marvel.
What post of yours are you referencing?

For the record I don't care one one way or the other that a white woman was cast in what was originally an Asian male role. They could have stuck with original concept to answer some of the recent criticisms of the lack of presence of Asians in the Marvel films but that's neither here or there as far as I am concerned. Going with an older looking actress or a different visual presentation of Swinton would have been addressed my personal issue.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
you cast a white chick as a tibetan male and everyone is fine. you cast a black guy as an alien demi-god and everyone loses their mind
white womean has less privilege than tibetan mnn. Learn the progressive stack shitlord.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
While I hate double standards, bitching about white-washing = bad, diversity = good, is just ignorant of society and history. There's a reason white-washing has a negative connotation right now and I wouldn't be surprised if in 40, 50 years it wasn't anymore. But right now? Fuck yea.
There really isn't a reason for it, though. A country with a population that was 85% white (As when these characters were created) made white looking super heroes? Do people go to china and shame them for their Chinese mythological heroes? Saying we need to add diversity "because racism", is just trying to shoe horn in racism where it doesn't fit. Comics were always super progressive, they were discussing racial issues in metaphor for quite a long time.

But comics are also mythos, and mythological figures arealsoa reflection of the society they come from, and America didn't have 12+ million Hispanic migrants then, and the black population was sub 10%, if race is really important (Like some people think who get angry at white washing) then the diversity of mythos should reflect the diversity of races, which Marvel's characters actually did.. There were black heroes, yeah, 9 out of ten heroes were "white", but if the goal of race is to reflect diversity in a country (Because race is so important) why should a smaller population be over-represented? Unless racedoesn't matter(Which is what I believe), then we shouldn't care about thisat all....Either way, the double standard doesn't make sense (IE if race is important, than a proper reflection of race is logical, and only 13% of the U.S. is black, if race is NOT important, then it doesn't matter, at all, either way--bring on Idris Elba as Iron Man). I totally get why Marvel wants the growing diversity in there, and that's fine, hell, I think it's great--but the hostility toward a white actor playing a minority role also has to stop.

Making the argument now that because characters reflected their writers makes a double standard okay is not a powerful argument. You could argue that because of racism, it's needed--but again, is that a good argument when there isn't scant evidence it was actually about racism? And isn't that really a punitive argument? I just don't see how you can logically argue for a double standard when attempting to achieve some kind of equality, it's the antithesis of equality. Maybe I'm missing something though.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

rrr_img_137160.jpg

She does it for me.

Plus its an awesome metric song.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's not punitive. It's a marketed property and they're trying to broaden the appeal with racial diversity in the cast. Many of these titles and characters were created back before minorities had a lot of purchasing power so they were not attractive as a market then and weren't catered to to any significant degree. If minorities are to be depicted in many of the hero roles now, it requires changing some things.

And part of the whole appeal of comics to the studios is they have this massive library of source material for mining. They've acquired the rights to them so they can simply adapt the material rather than create new things out of whole cloth.
I have never in my life bought a comic cuz i saw a chinky chink on the cover.

When i saw the Mandarin on the cover of IronMan 272 (the fin fan foom saga) i didn't think

"HOLY SHIT, ANOTHER FUCKING ASIAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT", back in the 90s.

Yes, as a kid Iron Man was the solo title i collected, and yea that $1 buck was a lot, so i liked reading a D-List superhero who wore an iron suit and made dumb decisions, only to be protected by the power of a billion dollars.

One of my grade school art projects was sculpting ironman out of clay, (this was the mark9 suit at the time) I got my art teacher to raise my grade from a 80 to 100 (cuz i'm asian, only A's matter), cuz she thought it was silly for an iron suit to have "muscles". Until i brought in a comic and showed her i just sculpted what i saw.