Marvel Universe stuff

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fair point. I'll correct myself and say that they accurate to the SPIRIT of the source material. There are a lot of changes they make on a regular basis but they are changes that make sense for the medium.

Juvarisx

Florida
I don't think they have to be absolutely accurate to the source material either. Ultron in the comics is so ridiculously powerful converting him to a movie will seem so cheesy if they only have 2 hours of screen time to defeat him so they had to tone him down (they already said they stripped some of his powers). And that is 100 percent fine as long as they convey that Ultron is some big powerful baddie.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think they have to be absolutely accurate to the source material either. Ultron in the comics is so ridiculously powerful converting him to a movie will seem so cheesy if they only have 2 hours of screen time to defeat him so they had to tone him down (they already said they stripped some of his powers). And that is 100 percent fine as long as they convey that Ultron is some big powerful baddie.
Never said they had too. j00t was saying though that what made the Avengers so endearing was how accurate it was and I was pointing out that there was NOTHING accurate about it, just that it had the name Avengers. I understand they take liberties, every comic book movie has.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In the comics, banner has been shown to have varying degrees of control over the hulk. Avengers showed that. In the comics, the avengers have had little to no success without cap's leadership. Which they showed. Everyone in the marvel universe, allies and enemies alike, have immense respect for cap even if they don't like him. Which they showed in the movie. In the comics, Loki is THE master of deception. Which they showed in the movie. Hint: Loki actually won in the movie. I mean should I keep going?

Sure, the original avengers didn't include Hawkeye and black widow. Sure Loki had a huge part in finding cap. Sure, Thor doesn't need the bifrost to teleport anywhere because mjolnir can do it... Sure all those things have changed but THE CHARACTERS and HOW they act haven't been touched. That's what I'm talking about

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't know how everyone felt about Bane in the latest Batman or the direction chosen for the Mandarin but ever since those examples, I have a hint of fear they'll screw up Ultron.

Column_sl

shitlord
Its not "they", they're run by totally different production teams.

The reason Mandarin sucked was Robert Downy hired his good friend Shane Black, and they decided they knew better when it came to making super hero films.

Hence why Iron Man 3 sucked balls. Basically its non comic fans trying to change as much stuff as they can get away with...
This is why Bane sucked, and same thing with Mandarin.

Joss is a true nerd comic fan. Thats why Avengers was so good. Expect Ultron to be amazing.

Juvarisx

Florida
I didn't hate Bane or TDKR personally but I understood why some people did. Mandarin on the other hand I hated as well, but I am hoping they heard that message from their fans loud and clear.

Blackyce

Joss is a true nerd comic fan. Thats why Avengers was so good. Expect Ultron to be amazing.
I don't know about that. Avengers was a fun movie but had so many actual plot wholes it looked like swiss cheese. I'm not digging Ultron coming from Tony Stark and not Hank/Henry Pym. I do understand that the movies don't take place in Earth-616 so they can change whatever they like. I just wish that writers and directors would be more inclined to do actual comic book stories because there are a bunch of good ones, instead of the only thing these movies have in common with the comic is the name and some characters.

Column_sl

shitlord
1) You can carve out plot holes in almost every fantasy/action movie
2) We don't know that Ultron is coming from Stark. Please link proof ( all Ive seen is tons of websites speculating, link me the official statement from Joss himself)
3) Marvel Universe is a god damn mess, how they fuck are they going to translate that shit with any continuity. Not to mention retreading a story that has already been told verbatim is the most boring shit ever.
4) If you really think the only thing Avengers had in common with the comics is the name. and some characters you need to get that head checked

Blackyce

1) You can carve out plot holes in almost every fantasy/action movie
2) We don't know that Ultron is coming from Stark. Please link proof ( all Ive seen is tons of websites speculating, link me the official statement from Joss himself)
3) Marvel Universe is a god damn mess, how they fuck are they going to translate that shit with any continuity. Not to mention retreading a story that has already been told verbatim is the most boring shit ever.
4) If you really think the only thing Avengers had in common with the comics is the name. and some characters you need to get that head checked
1) I agree, there are plot holes and bad devices in pretty much every fantasy/action movie. The thing about most of the recent movies, including Avengers, are that the plot wholes are pretty fucking massive. I mean all the aliens just dying when their ship blows up and even though mind controlled Erik Selvig builds a back door to the tesseract? Just a few of the things that make you go WTF.

2)The Avengers 2: Whedon Talks Ultron, Thanos and an Crossoverand a direct quote from Joss.
"We're not going to see Pym and all the accoutrements. Ultron is more central to the Avengers as they are. But we will explore the idea of lineage, because he was created by us and we've got to own that.
So my best guess is Ultron looks like it's going to be created either by Stark/Shield or Shield itself, not Hank Pym, since he isn't appearing in this movie. From what Joss is saying, Ultron's relevance to the Avengers is going to completely change.

3) Well yeah Earth-616 is a mess but that doesn't have to mean you just say fuck it to some of the best comic book stories. As for re-treading a story that has already been told, LotR's 2.97 billion gross Harry Potter's 7.2 billion gross for just the movies alone would disagree with you.

4) Comic book nerd rant incoming. OK, in the original Avengers #1, not the best plot for a movie, Loki tricks the hulk into destroying a railroad. He then gets Thor to battle Hulk in hopes of defeating his brother. Iron Man, Wasp and Ant Man also arrive and realize that they are being tricked by Loki and join forces to defeat him. Hulk leaves the team in issue #2. Pretty much nothing like the movie.

I understand as well that issue #1 of The Avengers doesn't make a good movie and things need to be worked around with a better origin story being told. I also understand that Marvel wanted to have all their characters back round stories filled out before Avengers. This means that even though it was the Avengers who found a frozen Cap that has to be put aside as well. So we get an all new origin story.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
4) Comic book nerd rant incoming. OK, in the original Avengers #1, not the best plot for a movie, Loki tricks the hulk into destroying a railroad. He then gets Thor to battle Hulk in hopes of defeating his brother. Iron Man, Wasp and Ant Man also arrive and realize that they are being tricked by Loki and join forces to defeat him. Hulk leaves the team in issue #2. Pretty much nothing like the movie.

I understand as well that issue #1 of The Avengers doesn?t make a good movie and things need to be worked around with a better origin story being told. I also understand that Marvel wanted to have all their characters back round stories filled out before Avengers. This means that even though it was the Avengers who found a frozen Cap that has to be put aside as well. So we get an all new origin story.
I mean what is your point here. If they told the actual Avengers origin it would be stupid and boring and you've said as much yourself. So you are upset that they've changed/improved things?

It's also clear that they've merged the cosmic cube into one of the infinity gems. This is a HUGE change, but a good one. You don't really need both the infinity gauntlet and the cosmic cube in the movie world, it's a bit redundant for the amount of stories that can possibly be told.

Blackyce

I mean what is your point here. If they told the actual Avengers origin it would be stupid and boring and you've said as much yourself. So you are upset that they've changed/improved things?

It's also clear that they've merged the cosmic cube into one of the infinity gems. This is a HUGE change, but a good one. You don't really need both the infinity gauntlet and the cosmic cube in the movie world, it's a bit redundant for the amount of stories that can possibly be told.
My original point was asking why don't writers actually give us the comic book stories instead of taking a bunch of plot points, tossing them in a blender and coming up with a story.

Column's fourth point.
4) If you really think the only thing Avengers had in common with the comics is the name. and some characters you need to get that head checked.
I was just pointing out that the Avengers movie was NOTHING like the comic book.

In some cases, I agree, changes need to be made because some things just don't translate well from comic book or book to movie. I just would like to see more movies that follow the comic story telling like The Watchmen rather than just re-writing everything.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I for one want new stories involving the characters I grew to love as a child. I want stories designed for the big screen, not cut and past of old shit I already read crammed into a 2 hour movie.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Everytime I watch the Avengers now, I cant help but think how much more awesome it would have been if they had gotten Terry Tate to do that scene where the hulk runs thru the office building and jumps on the leviathan to keep it from crushing the building. I can just hear Tate yelling "NOT IN MY OFFICE!" As he charges through the building.