Marvel Universe stuff

Blide_sl

shitlord
This is one of DC's serious problems. They don't seem to understand if you ignore your brands, they are forgotten. They've been stuck in a massive rut. only batman/superman sells, because they only promote batman/superman. so anything other then batman/superman doesn't make money, and if it doesn't make money, they wont make it.
This is hardly surprising though. It just seems to me that DC's properties haven't aged as well as Marvel's. I'm not sure if this is because of neglect or just the nature of the properties. I will say that DC's characters have always struck me as being more fanciful which I imagine would make them harder to pull off well.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, and the ones that WOULD work they've just handled poorly.

Green Lantern has so much potential, and they really did dive in to the galactic aspects of it more than I expected, but the move just had too much cheese. And the giant cloud monster bad guy was a terrible idea, especially to do it AFTER the 2nd FF movie.

And I think I'd rather see a Flash movie done right than just about any other comic property. Other than those two and the obvious big 3 though(does WW even count as a potential movie draw at this point?), they just don't have names that people would recognize and pay big money for I think. Because of the previously mentioned terrible job they've done setting things up.

There were rumors of a Captain Marvel/Black Adam movie a couple years back with The Rock as Adam, but I guess that fell through. And if Marvel introduces Carol Danvers before that gets off the ground I imagine they'd hesitate a little more just because of name confusion. Green Arrow is on a fucking CW show, plus with Hawkeye already established he'd come off as a rip off to casual fans.

So aside from those and the Bat/Superman families, what does DC have that would be likely to pack some box office punch? They're gonna be pretty gunshy about spending big on anything after Superman/Lantern, two of their AAA properties, crapped out. I guess a ton of it will depend how Man of Steel does.

Caliane

yeah, GL was just poorly written. Hal was the villain. haha.

Flash will be really hard to make a movie on. Best bet there would be to focus on the Rogues I think. who are all incredibly good characters. The Flash's villians are way better then Batmans.
A classic example of DC dropping the ball. The Rogues should be household names. Moreso then Joker, Twoface, Green goblin, etc.

What is and isn't triple A is all about promotion. Of course no one will go see something they haven't heard of. so you have to introduce people to them..
Powergirl was on a huge upswing in awareness and popularity.

DC has memory on their side. Sometimes its a bit harmful. Superfriends has really killed Aquaman.
But hell, Archer had a Shazam joke, the other week. People remember him.
Teen titans of course. the cartoon was super popular. You could do the full ensemble. Or even give Raven or Starfire a solo movie.

Justice League Dark is getting a movie. Constantine, Swamp thing, etc..
Then you have Neil..

A Lucifer or Sandman movie? Books of Magic? troll the shit out of Harry Potter fans?

Make Books of Magic. Boy wizard movie. with Neil Gaimons name attached.
Introduces Phantom stranger, the spectre, Xanadu, Docter 13, constantine, Zatanna, Zatarra, , Destiny, Dream, Death, Fate, Mister E, the lords of Fate, and chaos,
That is basically what it is. its entire purpose was to serve as an introduction to DC's magical heritage.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Stated in the tv thread, but more appropriate here.

Seriously so many problems.
There have been numerous articles talking about how politics at DC have made it tough to get anything greenlit. Apparently, there are two factions under two Execs that want to take over the studio, and if you are on one side, you aren't on the other. So you might have a great idea, and then have to worry about even mentioning it, because no one wants a reprisal from the other side. It's a reason why it took them forever to greenlight the JLA movie after Avengers made a killing. Apparently, the only thing both sides can agree on is that Batman and Superman always need to be out there.

Long story short, the suits are getting in the way of creative, instead of helping it. I wasn't kidding, any nerd on these boards could do better.

moontayle

Golden Squire
So Latino Review popped a huge one (which I got from AICN) about where Hulk fits into the larger scheme of things. Here's what they said:

Toward the end of Avengers 2, Hulk will be deemed "too dangerous" to be allowed to continue to exist on earth, and he'll be exiled. So begins the standalone movie with Planet Hulk. Then it seems Avengers 3 will follow up with the World War Hulk storyline.

If this turns out to be true... full on geekgasm.

Caliane

that sounds like a bad idea. Paints the Avengers are utter douchebags. worse then even the normal comics did. Hulk has not been remotely shown to be out of control enough to warrant that.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
that sounds like a bad idea. Paints the Avengers are utter douchebags. worse then even the normal comics did. Hulk has not been remotely shown to be out of control enough to warrant that.
more importantly, it paints tony stark as THE douchebag... with the amount of money that ironman's name brings in, they'd never tank his popularity like that.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So they write him as losing control. It's been done before in the comics many times over. It could be as simple as having a side storyline where the Avengers fight the Leader, and the Hulk is exposed to one of the Leader's gamma ray experiments by accident, causing him to absorb more gamma radiation than normal.

I'd be all over a WWH movie line.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i think only a wh40k movie would be more awesome than a WWH movie. Seriously, the ammount of potential destruction is off the chart

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Chris Pratt picked to lead the Guardians of the Galaxy.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Oh I am even more looking forward to this. I think Pratt will kill.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He was a pleasant surprise in Zero Dark Thirty. Plus he showed he can get in superhero shape for a movie, check out his Conan interview where he showed his shape for that and then what he was back to for Parks and Rec. Also he's GD hilarious in every single talk show interview.

Young_sl

shitlord
Well, and the ones that WOULD work they've just handled poorly.

Green Lantern has so much potential, and they really did dive in to the galactic aspects of it more than I expected, but the move just had too much cheese. And the giant cloud monster bad guy was a terrible idea, especially to do it AFTER the 2nd FF movie.

And I think I'd rather see a Flash movie done right than just about any other comic property. Other than those two and the obvious big 3 though(does WW even count as a potential movie draw at this point?), they just don't have names that people would recognize and pay big money for I think. Because of the previously mentioned terrible job they've done setting things up.

There were rumors of a Captain Marvel/Black Adam movie a couple years back with The Rock as Adam, but I guess that fell through. And if Marvel introduces Carol Danvers before that gets off the ground I imagine they'd hesitate a little more just because of name confusion. Green Arrow is on a fucking CW show, plus with Hawkeye already established he'd come off as a rip off to casual fans.

So aside from those and the Bat/Superman families, what does DC have that would be likely to pack some box office punch? They're gonna be pretty gunshy about spending big on anything after Superman/Lantern, two of their AAA properties, crapped out. I guess a ton of it will depend how Man of Steel does.
I still don't understand why they didn't start them off fighting the Manhunters.. they could have used that as a way to transition into the Parallex story line for the second movie. And already hinting at the Sinestro corps. for movie 2? We don't even know who the guy is yet. Mark Strong's performance was the only good thing about that movie..

The only thing DC can do at this point is take the same approach that Disney is with Star Wars.. put your big film first (Justice League/Star Wars VII) then have off shoots to compliment the main movie.. the opposite approach of Marvel. If they keep lining them up individually they will get picked off, the strongest point of these characters is as a team and JLA is a recognized brand name.. more so than the Avengers were prior to their films imo.

Although the hints that Snyder keeps dropping about a possible connection between Nolan's Batman trilogy and Man of Steel could lead to something interesting that none of us see coming..

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Although the hints that Snyder keeps dropping about a possible connection between Nolan's Batman trilogy and Man of Steel could lead to something interesting that none of us see coming..
I would like this to be the post credit scene. But seeing as how anything outside Batman has been crap and that DC has no direction whatsoever, I don't have my hopes up.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Why hasn't Luke Cage gotten a movie yet? I mean, simplest hero ever. Just get a pissed-off black guy, show people shooting him with no effect and getting beat on. Done.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I agree, especially how few good black heroes there are, I'd think they'd try to cash in on Cage. Give him a Chinese Iron Fist and a white detective girl (maybe some C-class hero I can't think of) and ker-pow! Heroes-for-Hire HBO series/TV show/Movie/what-the-fuck-ever.