Marvel Universe stuff

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
When you go back through the movies, certain ones come out better amongst the whole than they were when you first watched them, like Ironman 3. Dunno why, but I appreciate it more now. IM does some cool, cocky shit even without his armor.

Ironman 1 is also a near perfect movie if they would have left Jeff Bridges out entirely, and cut Ironmonger. It's the only one where Ironman is flat out a badass, and the punches he takes barely impact him. Every other film he's basically getting his ass beat with more and more powerful/technical armor. Civil War he gets his ass beat by Captain America and a gimped Winter Soldier. He does end up going toe-to-toe with Thanos, "drop of blood" and all, but he still gets shanked and loses. In IM1, the tank buster then walking away like a badass is still one of if not his best scene. Plus the helmet in that one is the best.

2a7a341d-8766-49b2-973f-30b00bd756b0.jpg

On the other end, movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel are even more fucking obnoxious and painful. BP had some cool set pieces, but it was so much dumb. CM would have been better if whoever edited it wasn't on drugs the whole time. But even with scenes in a better order, it's still a stupid movie with a stupid main character, stupid supporting characters, and a stupid fucking plot with an overpowered Mary Sue that's never in any real danger. WW1984 played very similarly. Just, so much dumb man-hating trash.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When you go back through the movies, certain ones come out better amongst the whole than they were when you first watched them, like Ironman 3. Dunno why, but I appreciate it more now. IM does some cool, cocky shit even without his armor.

Ironman 1 is also a near perfect movie if they would have left Jeff Bridges out entirely, and cut Ironmonger. It's the only one where Ironman is flat out a badass, and the punches he takes barely impact him. Every other film he's basically getting his ass beat with more and more powerful/technical armor. Civil War he gets his ass beat by Captain America and a gimped Winter Soldier. He does end up going toe-to-toe with Thanos, "drop of blood" and all, but he still gets shanked and loses. In IM1, the tank buster then walking away like a badass is still one of if not his best scene. Plus the helmet in that one is the best.

View attachment 339958

On the other end, movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel are even more fucking obnoxious and painful. BP had some cool set pieces, but it was so much dumb. CM would have been better if whoever edited it wasn't on drugs the whole time. But even with scenes in a better order, it's still a stupid movie with a stupid main character, stupid supporting characters, and a stupid fucking plot with an overpowered Mary Sue that's never in any real danger. WW1984 played very similarly. Just, so much dumb man-hating trash.
so much this. over the years i have come to appreciate Iron Man 1-3, they arent bad movies and can be a lot of fun. although the end scene of Iron Man is fucking lame. yeah i love me Jeff Bridges, but he didnt need to be in his own fucking Iron man suit to be a cool asshole. he was terrifying all on his own. that end battle was so much like the Ang Lee Hulk movie ending that i really cant believe they recycled shit from a shit movie and put it into a good movie. but i can still enjoy the rest of the film, as you said its near perfect. the Edward Norton Hulk movie i didnt like that much in the theater, same with Cap1 , but i can enjoy them now and have no ill will towards them. maybe i will feel the same way about Black Panther and Captain Cuntface. i did Guardians 2 tonight, Homecoming tomorrow and Ragnarok on Sunday. here's to hoping those two improved with age. we will see.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Guardians 2 just feels.... Too long. And most of the action is out of focus, or in the background, or mindless, non-descript objects smashing into each other. It's a good movie, but it's lazy.

Homecoming has its moments and Michael Keaton is amazing as Vulture, a big reason Far From Home wasn't as good. Mysterio isn't a great villain, who they cast is amazing, but he hammed it up, and that always goes terribly. Act it straight, fuck.

Ragnarok is fucking fun. I've watched it several times. Probably as many times or more than Winter Soldier.

Re watching CM and BP made me hate them more in comparison to the rest, not gain any sort of reverence. The only thing CM did was setup the Skrull's. BP setup the tech to save Vision, but that was nullified in Infinity War and washed with WandaVision. There's no point in watching that racist movie.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
i started last week and just finished Doctor Strange last night. i really dont want to watch Black Panther or Captain Cuntface, but fuck it, i came this far.
Just do your own version of Mystery Science Theater 3,000 for those 2 movies, and you'll be good to go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Re watching CM and BP made me hate them more in comparison to the rest, not gain any sort of reverence. ... BP setup the tech to save Vision, but that was nullified in Infinity War and washed with WandaVision. There's no point in watching that racist movie.
BP is still my single biggest complaint from everything Marvel.
I still hate the idea that this magical metal = technology. It isn't knowledge that does it. Somehow the existence of a special metal makes its own super tech. And that's fucking stupid. It's like, before we knew how to make aluminum, we still made incredible goods out of metal. Sure, they weren't as light weight, but that doesn't change the fact that they were great.

Aluminum existing didn't some how give us the gift of canned beverages. It just allowed us a better way to make the cans.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It took how many thousands of years of manipulating gold before we put it into a microchip? To your point.
yes, but we had computers thousands of years ago.
there is no magic metal. and it doesnt make people smarter. especially people with magic metal who still run around in loin cloths chucking spears with plates in their lips. to this day i have no idea how this movie isnt considered massively racist. it basically shits on whites and it shits on blacks even worse. how nobody was offended by this movie makes me feel like i took crazy pills.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
BP is still my single biggest complaint from everything Marvel.
I still hate the idea that this magical metal = technology. It isn't knowledge that does it. Somehow the existence of a special metal makes its own super tech. And that's fucking stupid. It's like, before we knew how to make aluminum, we still made incredible goods out of metal. Sure, they weren't as light weight, but that doesn't change the fact that they were great.

Aluminum existing didn't some how give us the gift of canned beverages. It just allowed us a better way to make the cans.
Uranium. Plutonium.

Kind of important metals that did indeed change everything we did.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
see, ive gone over that in my head. Infinity War is easily the most important MCU film and it has the highest stakes and it has the biggest and best special effects. but all that doesnt top Winter Soldier to me, the story in WS is so fucking strong and the action to me is incredible and it is more grounded in reality. i didnt say it was a realistic film. i am saying between Infinity War and Winter Soldier, its more grounded. Thanos is just so motherfucking unstoppable, like impending doom, you cant stop him. nothing can stop him and nobody will stop him. Winter Soldier you get the the optimism of true patriots rising up to fight Hydra and you have the friendship between Bucky and Cap tested. its an amazing film. up to Winter Soldier. Spiderman 2 directed by Sam Raimi was my favorte Marvel film. but this surpassed even that. and i have to add what a smokeshow Natasha was in this and how they kept her from making any fucking difference against Winter Soldier when they stood toe to toe. she was basically just barely a speedbump as she should have been. only Cap could bring down Bucky and only Bucky could have saved him after Cap was willing to die for his friendship. Civil War is also a great movie, but its got too much blockbuster stuff going on around the story. its still an excellent film, just not better than Winter Soldier. if i had to rank. i would go Winter Soldier>Infinity War> Civil War> Guardians1> Endgame. special mention to Homecoming and Antman. i like those films a lot, but they arent as awesome.

What I love is this: * All of these movies are so fucking good, that we can all sit there and gush over them, and have our own opinions of what makes one slightly better than the next. It's honestly a gift that we had such a fucking awesome string of movies. We've already seen that they are going to change things up and probably ruin it, but we have *22* movies to go back and watch and love. And we have them forever. I know I'll rewatch these movies for the rest of my life. They're just so fucking good.

Even ones that some of yall put down a little lower on the list, like Endgame, they have scenes in them that can crush your heart (the entire opening scene, from Hawkeye, Iron Man almost dying, killing Thanos, and then Ant Man seeing his daughter is super strong. Some of the middle is slower, and then the ending is fucking insane, from the time Hulk snaps everyone back, the Thanos fight, and then probably the best scene in the entire set of movies, when Cap is getting his ass kicked, then stands up, tightens his cracked shield, and the entire fucking MCU shows up to help him. I had tears, no joke, fucking so good.

So I just appreciate so much that a movie, lets say like Endgame, can have such fucking great things in it, and then there are still movies in the series that surpass it!! Like IW, Winter Soldier, etc. God damn. This is something we will never get again in our lives.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Uranium. Plutonium.

Drop a bunch of Uranium and Plutonium on African tribesmen, come back in a decade and tell me how it turns out.

The availability of materials doesnt cause literal loin-cloth-wearing savages to suddenly figure out metallurgy.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Drop a bunch of Uranium and Plutonium on African tribesmen, come back in a decade and tell me how it turns out.

The availability of materials doesnt cause literal loin-cloth-wearing savages to suddenly figure out metallurgy.

Exactly. They would make jewelry out of it and wipe themselves out from cancer.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Uranium. Plutonium.

Their power is tied directly to how dangerous they are to the environment. It has nothing to do with the element itself. What a terrible analogy, but par for the course from you.

Your defense of this terrible movie comes off just as bigoted as the idiots that are actually bigots.

• 1Salty

Cybsled

You're an idiot if you don't think that certain elements or metals, and knowledge on how to best use them or exploit them, don't have an impact on the technological advancement of a society. Then couple that with an abundant supply of said mineral and you're off to the races. The knowledge/exploit part is key, and through out human history, it isn't uncommon for the secret to be unlocked by accident/unintentionally. A nation that figured out bronze first would have a massive technological advantage in war over copper, and in turn iron over bronze. Looking at more high tech applications, having access to special materials can give you an advantage in making technologies practical...think things like rare earth minerals, or even things like aircraft grade aluminum that allow the construction of aircraft that previously steel or wood would have been unable to achieve. Plus one reason railguns and fusion reactors have taken so long to become practical reality is current materials we are using have a lot of difficulty standing up to the stresses present with the usage of such devices. Discovering a new material, and how to exploit it for your own uses, that allows you to bypass those limitations would let you do things technologically that you couldn't do previously.

Plus this is a fucking comic book. They sort of touched upon it in the movies, but Vibranium in the comics also had other qualities like special mutating radiation that gave life near it special qualities, and because there was so much of it in Wakanda, it effected things that lived there (mostly the plants, then things would eat the plants). So it literally is magic metal that could literally make you smarter and stronger.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had stopped reading comics right around the time Ms. Marvel came along so my memory of Capt Marvel is Marvel wearing the wristbands and sharing time in the <negative?> zone with Rick Jones. Which, btw, would have made a great movie if the MCU had a Rick Jones character (a useless side kick who keeps getting the hero in trouble).

BP on the other hand annoys the fuck out of me because the BP in the comics is awesome. Basically Cap without a shield. This is of course before he gets all stupid with abilities and tech in the comics. I feel like they refused to make him just a top 2 or 3 hand to hand combatant because ... black. We cant have THE black hero only be a combat fighter. The reason most big baddies in the comics have minions or are a team of villains is so all the Avengers can have something to do. Natasha and BP dont go toe to toe with Ultron 5 in the comics. They handle his little minion robots or other important shit that isnt ineffectually punching the robot made of pure adamantium.

Perfect example: Netflix Defenders heroes. Cage is bullet proof, JJ can lift up a car, IF has his magic hand and then there is DD. DD has senses and shit, but he is just the hand-to-hand guy. And he is amazing. An MCU BP movie done along the lines of Netflix DD could have been amazing.

Cybsled

I think because of the escalating stakes, they've had to power up everyone a lot more than normal. At this point, it's like Dragon Ball Z. Hawkeye and Black Widow were basically the Yamcha and Krillans, while everyone else is a Saiyan or Nameckian or Android. And when you become a Yamcha, you're basically a punchline to a joke.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it literally is magic metal that could literally make you smarter and stronger.
And a magical metal from space being the only reason an African nation could ever be advanced and prosperous isn't an example of hilariously over the top racism?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Their power is tied directly to how dangerous they are to the environment. It has nothing to do with the element itself. What a terrible analogy, but par for the course from you.

Your defense of this terrible movie comes off just as bigoted as the idiots that are actually bigots.
So angry all the time. You're like Mudcrush if he drove a pick up truck.

• 1Garbage