Marvel Universe stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The naming off gobots as a threat ect was surprising. Not going to lie having a real cameo in the films would be great

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought the animation _might_ be the most tangential Star Wars Holiday Special linkage they could come up with, but if there were any specific references, I didn't catch them.

Kind of a weird vibe with the heavy drinking at a gay bar and calling actors 'pieces of shit' for a holiday special.

Going to be honest, I did not expect to see a Gobots reference in 2022, especially one that implies they canonically exist in the Marvel universe?!?
they didn't imply anything. mantis straight up said gobots killed drax's cousin. they are officially part of the mcu. thanks obama?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It seems so real! Nice try, Screen Culture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221126-141008_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20221126-141008_YouTube.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It is probably the best thing in phase 4.
Not "probably," it hands down is the best. It has heart without feeling pretentious and humor without alienating itself, unlike everything we've seen this phase.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie had a lot of heart. My mom loved it and hasn't seen any marvel movies since maybe IM2. She didn't even know what or who rocket and Groot we're

She kept waiting for Bradly Cooper to show up. She still doesn't get why he's credited so much for the films

Last edited:

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Werewolf by Night was better, and by a lot IMO, but I love the idea of these special presentations. The holiday special was pretty great though. Loved Cosmo being really introduced, I hope to see more there for sure. And the big heartfelt moment at the end I don't think will end up mattering a lot, but it certainly is one of those things where if you want to know what's going on across the board, you can't even miss short things like this. Mantis was awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Jonathan Majors talking about Kang:

On what it means to be a villain for a film like this: “Our generation, what we represent, what is a big bad to us? What are our children going to see? What are our partners going to see? What are our leaders going to see? What is it that our zeitgeist, quote unquote, needs? What are we conjuring up? What’s in the unconscious of our time now? And Marvel has the, in my opinion, the largest platform in entertainment. And so to bring the big bad, the big bad has to represent so many things and has to be connected to so many things. So I read the newspaper, I looked at history books… I talked to people, I look at my child, talk to my partner. What is it we’re afraid of in this time? What is it that’s scaring us? Because Kang has to be… any big bad is a manifestation of our deepest insecurities as a society.”

After reading this, I got to thinking...what IS the zeitgeist of our time that people are afraid of? Viruses? Politicians becoming dictators?

And the weird thing is, Kang actually does appeal to my personal fears of the modern era. The last shot of Loki for example.

My fears are that my culture and history will be subverted and statues will be built to false idols.

I don't know what he meant, but he tapped right into something that is already working for me about Kang. He gives me the creeps because part of me gets that same sense from him that I get from watching real world subversion and dismantling of culture, in the interest of making up for past misdeeds that I had nothing to do with and that can never be made up for or undone regardless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Jonathan Majors talking about Kang:

On what it means to be a villain for a film like this: “Our generation, what we represent, what is a big bad to us? What are our children going to see? What are our partners going to see? What are our leaders going to see? What is it that our zeitgeist, quote unquote, needs? What are we conjuring up? What’s in the unconscious of our time now? And Marvel has the, in my opinion, the largest platform in entertainment. And so to bring the big bad, the big bad has to represent so many things and has to be connected to so many things. So I read the newspaper, I looked at history books… I talked to people, I look at my child, talk to my partner. What is it we’re afraid of in this time? What is it that’s scaring us? Because Kang has to be… any big bad is a manifestation of our deepest insecurities as a society.”

After reading this, I got to thinking...what IS the zeitgeist of our time that people are afraid of? Viruses? Politicians becoming dictators?

And the weird thing is, Kang actually does appeal to my personal fears of the modern era. The last shot of Loki for example.

My fears are that my culture and history will be subverted and statues will be built to false idols.

I don't know what he meant, but he tapped right into something that is already working for me about Kang. He gives me the creeps because part of me gets that same sense from him that I get from watching real world subversion and dismantling of culture, in the interest of making up for past misdeeds that I had nothing to do with and that can never be made up for or undone regardless.

I don't buy that nonsense at all. Just because something's kinda sorta related to RL shit doesn't make me more afraid of it in a movie.

I'm 1000x more creeped out by a galactus or beyonder god like being coming to wreck our shit than marvel's take on BLM

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I like Donglover, Atlanta is a great show. If he is given the reigns I think it could be good.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Donald Glover had the animated Deadpool series they recently cancelled, but it was supposed to be pretty good. Some of the scripts were leaked (by the people that wrote them) and they were pretty wild. Apparently an entire episode was Taylor Swift themed.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Looks like Affleck may be joining the MCU as Dario Agar the CEO of Roxxon.

Last edited: