Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Heroes pilot was incredible because of the mystery of what was going on. Nobody had a clue about exactly what was going to happen and why it was happening. Shield has everything already setup. There are minor surprises within the story, but the basic concept is very fleshed out. It will take a season for Shield to separate itself from "THE AVENGERS" at which point hopefully the show comes together.

Also, Heroes had some of the best music accompaniment ever used in a series. The music fit that show perfectly. The music for Shield is kind of lacking at the moment which does take away from the show.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
apparently joss whedon has very little to do with this show and a board room of producers with different ideas are putting this together.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...oivbKv44c5uiAw
I'm not sure how accurate this article is. It mentions Dollhouse but their take on what happens is completely different from what I remember. My understanding was it took half a season for Whedon to get out from Fox executive's yolk and produce the show he wanted.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm not sure how accurate this article is. It mentions Dollhouse but their take on what happens is completely different from what I remember. My understanding was it took half a season for Whedon to get out from Fox executive's yolk and produce the show he wanted.
How long are we going to blame shows failing on Fox and not Whedon?

How about you ignore his TV shows and check out his X-Men comic book run. He said fuck you to Marvel and wouldn't participate in crossovers, he made it up as he went, and half the series was delayed for one reason or another. It was a disaster. Whedon is not perfect in the slightest.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Whedon's X-men run was the best X-men run I've read in a long while if ever. Their production schedule sucked, but he knew how to write compelling characters and storyline.

Troll harder.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Whedon's X-men run was the best X-men run I've read in a long while if ever. Their production schedule sucked, but he knew how to write compelling characters and storyline.

Troll harder.
I hated it, all my friends hated it. The rest of the books were doing major things and that series was off in a corner rocking like an autistic kid....

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The rest of the books were doing overblown garbage. Critical review of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was overwhelmingly positive. You and your friends have bad taste.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The rest of the books were doing overblown garbage. Critical review of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was overwhelmingly positive. You and your friends have bad taste.
I am just saying that Whedon likes to run on his name alone and does whatever he wants. He marched to his own beat when it came to that run and Fox is the only one who gets blamed when his shows are canned. I don't think they are the only issue. Him and his fans need to own up to him being responsible as well.

We will see with this show, if it does fail I guaranfuckingtee most of you will blame everything but Whedon.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Whedon is awesome. I thought his involvement with this show was pretty light. Is he the day to day showrunner ala Buffy?

Edit-Dollhouse took too long to move from random episodic to serialized imo. There was always a story arc running softly in the background, but it kicked into high gear in season 2 and that was more enjoyable to me.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Are you saying Fox isn't to blame for torpedoing Firefly? Do you even know the history of that show?

Dollhouse aired on a Friday night death slot. I guess it could be Whedon's fault it didn't overcome it, but by all accounts when the show premiered and didn't perform well we were watching the heavily editorialized and influenced Fox Executive episodes. The show found it's footing coincidentally when the Whedon storyline's kicked in and it actually got really good, but of course that didn't matter with it's ratings.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are you saying Fox isn't to blame for torpedoing Firefly? Do you even know the history of that show?

Dollhouse aired on a Friday night death slot. I guess it could be Whedon's fault it didn't overcome it, but by all accounts when the show premiered and didn't perform well we were watching the heavily editorialized and influenced Fox Executive episodes. The show found it's footing coincidentally when the Whedon storyline's kicked in and it actually got really good, but of course that didn't matter with it's ratings.
I seem to remember another show airing in the Friday Night Death Slot that was worse than Firefly and it went for 9 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How long are we going to blame shows failing on Fox and not Whedon?

How about you ignore his TV shows and check out his X-Men comic book run. He said fuck you to Marvel and wouldn't participate in crossovers, he made it up as he went, and half the series was delayed for one reason or another. It was a disaster. Whedon is not perfect in the slightest.
Were we reading the same comic? astonishing xmen 1-24? whedon created 2 characters, not throw away characters btw, but they're so memorable they're in every (now) crappy xmen comic. (brand/armor) (danger i believe is a miss) oh and he basically said fuck you, kitty pryde is my favorite xman, and my favorite xman and she has to have the love of her life, even if i have to resurrect him. some think of it as whedons run of 24 issues that is all about bringing back colossus, i think of the first 23 issues as all leading up to this great scene. (i skipped a few pages for brevity)
rrr_img_44551.jpg
rrr_img_44552.jpg
rrr_img_44553.jpg
rrr_img_44554.jpg
rrr_img_44555.jpg
rrr_img_44556.jpg

imo to this day there hasn't been a good xmen scene since issue 23 of astonishing. (now astonishing is shit)

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That's a good example and I'll concede that outside of the supposed meddling they did when the show was starting Fox gave Dollhouse a fair shake and it didn't succeed. This still isn't an indictment of the show's quality though, which was quite good when it got running.

Firefly was absolutely Fox's fault.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I got all the references to the various Avengers (god, 1940s costumed hero, etc.) but were any of the Avengers specifically named, i.e, Thor, Captain America, etc.? The closest I heard was "Stark Tower". I'm curious if I just missed it or if there was some reason they didn't specifically use the names of the heroes.
He mentioned that the new agent got scores they haven't seen since Romanov (Scarlett Johanson).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the avengers were referenced a few times in this pilot, not specifically by name though, i think they did that on purpose because they figured if they say thor did this or iron man did that, people will be expecting they are going to make an appearance on this show. which they may do if this show stays on the air til the next avengers movie, for now we get a superhero cocktease.

moontayle

Golden Squire
That's a good example and I'll concede that outside of the supposed meddling they did when the show was starting Fox gave Dollhouse a fair shake and it didn't succeed. This still isn't an indictment of the show's quality though, which was quite good when it got running.

Firefly was absolutely Fox's fault.
X-Files was one of Fox's first real hour-long shows and they were still in their overall infancy as a network. They were, for all intents and purposes, 4th in line. Expectations were low and the show had some ratings wiggle room. However, they managed to catch lightning in a bottle. Anderson and Duchovny had great chemistry, and frankly there was nothing like the show on any network at the time. It managed to be a ratings hit for Fox. It succeeded in the way that most things in entertainment succeed, a lot of luck to go with everything else.

That said, there's a reason it's known as the Friday Death Slot. X-files is the exception. Nothing has survived there for very long.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
X-Files was one of Fox's first real hour-long shows and they were still in their overall infancy as a network. They were, for all intents and purposes, 4th in line. Expectations were low and the show had some ratings wiggle room. However, they managed to catch lightning in a bottle. Anderson and Duchovny had great chemistry, and frankly there was nothing like the show on any network at the time. It managed to be a ratings hit for Fox. It succeeded in the way that most things in entertainment succeed, a lot of luck to go with everything else.

That said, there's a reason it's known as the Friday Death Slot. X-files is the exception. Nothing has survived there for very long.
Everything your saying though could have easily applied to Firefly.