Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Siliconemelons

Watched it last night, was not that bad. It felt the effects sucked, each brick blowing up outward while he was going up the building... then he was like "oh shit I may fall" then "fuck it jump time!" okaaayy... Sets where nice, costumes however you could tell are made by sizes rather than individually for that exact person (that or I am wanting the Asians suit to be tighter...)

But it was decent, I will watch again- and as many said Pilot Episodes are usually worse than the show.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The show is practically an infomercial for the rest of the Marvel movie/dvd/toy franchise and as such will likely continue to get the preferred treatment from the Mothership. Unlike Warner Brothers who cannot get out of their own way with their DC properties Disney has a very clear strategy in mind with all this. Hell the premiere even incorporated a plotline from Iron Man 3 which conveniently hit DVD and blu ray the same day...

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed it. While yes, it did touch on a lot of the movies I think it did so well, as it did so in a way that didn't leave you feeling "fuck, I didn't see the movie so I don't know what is going on".

Also as much as they made movie references, they made comic ones to. Some were just cute meta ("Are you read for our little journey into mystery?") and others will probably be more important in time (Project PEGASUS), again though if you don't know what they're talking about it doesn't matter and if you do it is just great fan service that makes you happy to pay attention and shows someone writing the show gives a fuck.

It wasn't "omgamazing" or anything, but it was fun and I look forward to more. And yes, hopefully the fact that it is an hour long commercial keeps it on the air longer.

Sterling

El Presidente
Wasn't particularly great but wasn't so bad that I felt compelled to stop watching or anything. I'll be watching the next few episodes, hopefully it gets better as it was just the pilot which are often a bit lackluster as previously mentioned.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
It's not great, but it's rare for a pilot to hook me. Marvel Studios and Joss Whedon have so much credit built up at this point that it would take many fuck-ups for me to not watch something created by either of them. It doesn't need to be first-season Heroes good as long as it doesn't ever get to after-first-season Heroes bad. I think that makes sense.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
>Welcome to level 7

I liked it a lot, but the show, while having top notch production, could end crap with bad writing / acting. I'll definitely watch it next week.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Disney owns both Marvel and ABC along with a bunch of other shit. They shit gold. I dont think budget will be a concern until Season 3 (or whenever Sam Jackson makes a cameo).
true, its nice to keep the marvel franchise in the forefront, but uh, the avengers and iron man movies make a shitload of bank, there really is no reason to keep promoting themselves at this point other than maybe developing some "new" marvel superheros which was shown with Pursuit of Happyness Man in the pilot. i liked how they kept showing him under this black pride banner as he is tossing white people and hispanics around. he flung that one chick headfirst into a concrete wall at like 40 mph and she didnt even come off with a bruise. lol

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed it, though had low expectations.

I liked that they mentioned things from the movies, sure cross promotion, but it helps make things seem bigger.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was ok, will watch next week. Can't really judge it yet based on one episode. To me it could go either way, wind up pretty good or wind up like crap.

Watching it, I was constantly reminded how network tv shows really can't compete with cable (HBO). Good ratings though, did a 4.7 (12 million) which is pretty good. Let's see how it holds up. If they are going to keep on referencing Avengers, every once in a while they're gonna have to throw in a cameo.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Again, yes the referenced the other movies, but they also referenced a bunch of non-movie comics stuff to. I guess not as many people noticed. I think they just wanted to established themselves as part of the larger world and universe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
pretty sure the ending scene wasn't a back to the future, but homage to nick fury, (we're talking about the flying car right?) that was one of nick fury's cool things back in the 70's. There have been worst pilots, this is pretty good for non hbo, i hope they blew their budget on special effects for this pilot hoping it turns out well, cuz it's really like CSI type special effects that are blah. male black widow is really boring tho, they need a better leading guy, the rest are fine.

Didn't think Ming-na (Agent MM) was gonna be so physical but she also still looks really good. (she's 50 btw, gogo asian genes)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if thats the case, then my bad. im just going by what is on TV and film. name another movie or TV show besides BttF that at the end a car folds its tires inwards, has a hover device and shoots right through the middle of the screen?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
SHIELD flying car, first appearance 1967. You Philistine.

rrr_img_44541.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ya know, ceded my position on comic books, but not on other TV and movies. i am a DC fan so my comic knowledge is limited to batman, superman, flash and wonder woman. i was also a huge fan of all the EC comic reprints from the 50s. my cousin was the marvel guy, and he was a douschebag who never shared his comics, all he ever let me read was his archie comics, which just made me want to fuck veronica in terrible ways.

anyway. lets see what comicbookgirl has to say.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I got all the references to the various Avengers (god, 1940s costumed hero, etc.) but were any of the Avengers specifically named, i.e, Thor, Captain America, etc.? The closest I heard was "Stark Tower". I'm curious if I just missed it or if there was some reason they didn't specifically use the names of the heroes.

faille

Molten Core Raider
While Joss might not have much hands on in terms of running the show, it will be run by his brother and sister in law, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. While that doesn't mean they'll be able to replicate his style, they will have a closer a relationship in terms of setting up bigger stuff and tying in with the rest of the world.

They also worked on Spartacus which was one of the most awesome shows ever, so they get credit in their own right imo!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I got all the references to the various Avengers (god, 1940s costumed hero, etc.) but were any of the Avengers specifically named, i.e, Thor, Captain America, etc.? The closest I heard was "Stark Tower". I'm curious if I just missed it or if there was some reason they didn't specifically use the names of the heroes.
I thought they said "Thor" and said technically he isn't a God or something.

EDIT: As far as my review of the show ... I think I was more impressed with the Heroes Pilot a few years back. This particular episode was borderline bad, but I am keeping a totally open mind. I know they had to introduce characters and the beginning of a story arc, I definitely think it will get better.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
This was alright, but not one of the better pilots i've seen in recent years and looks like it could end up shit. Seemed too contrived but we'll see how it progresses