Marvel's Avengers

Argarth

On the verandah
Dunno, I've watched a TON of his videos and he's pretty impartial.

Same, and that review surprised me a little. I watch them because he often reveals a perspective I hadn't considered. Don't always agree with him, but that's not the goal anyway.

Mack is pretty vocal about not liking Console games, and this is clearly a console brawler "type" of game, ported to the PC in his case (and mine). Perhaps that was part of it, and he is pretty critical of the camera/control, but that comes with the territory. He got the Challenge Card thing wrong, and his Costumes gripe led me to believe he'd not played MH either. I don't have a console, often have "issues" with ports, and probably would have overlooked this if not for the Marvel Universe. However, I'm really enjoying the story & characters here.

Avengers can't replace MH. It won't have Player Hubs, or Patrols, and the always active Hub-Chat in MH was by far the best I've experience in an online game. I'd sometimes log in and spend an hour or two just shooting the breeze before killing a single mob. Just reminded me once again, (as if I needed it...lol) that what I really wanted was "MH Reborn the ARPG".

Before I checked the WAB channel properly (no MH review) I did a quick search and hit this one, which by the way is a pretty good showcase of MH shortly before the end.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Playing Iron Man with the flying and lasers really makes me wish I had gotten it on PC for m/kb aiming. I'm such trash on a controller. Lol

spronk

FPS noob
i hate playing as iron man for that reason, i am complete trash on ps4. it doesn't help that AvengerVision is also shit, half the time when I pulse it won't highlight fuck all around me so I'm left wondering who the fuck is shooting at me

honestly its just easiest staying on the ground most of the time

the funniest thing to do is get to the end of a mission and just do the objective without killing anyone, in the cutscene that follows all the enemies you left alive are stomping around in the background doing their noises while an NPC talks to your person about the next objective

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Captain America is fun as a glass cannon stacking precision for +ranged damage, but often at the cost of sturdiness. I have him kitted out for all sorts of procs on range hit and range crit including an invulnerability buff which is what I try and keep rolling to keep him from dying if I miss a dodge.

I am quite liking how specialized the builds can be if you align the various skill choices / gear and the 'pick one of three' for the higher skill tiers means that you can respec to something more tanky or melee oriented should the need arises.

Ironically I have an easier time hitting multiple enemies with my normal ranged attack versus the Power ranged attack that is specially meant to paint multiple targets. Thus I am running a 'catch and get next throw buffed' rather than '+15% damage for each target hit'

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Captain America is fun as a glass cannon stacking precision for +ranged damage, but often at the cost of sturdiness. I have him kitted out for all sorts of procs on range hit and range crit including an invulnerability buff which is what I try and keep rolling to keep him from dying if I miss a dodge.

I am quite liking how specialized the builds can be if you align the various skill choices / gear and the 'pick one of three' for the higher skill tiers means that you can respec to something more tanky or melee oriented should the need arises.

Ironically I have an easier time hitting multiple enemies with my normal ranged attack versus the Power ranged attack that is specially meant to paint multiple targets. Thus I am running a 'catch and get next throw buffed' rather than '+15% damage for each target hit'

I would agree once I got the paint a bunch of target range thing on cap I was having a LOT better luck with him. Also while you are painting like three targets that shield hits a lot of people in brawls as its moving to and from targets. Again it is one of those things captain america does not really start feeling like captain america until you really start unlocking stuff. Early on he is kind of frustratingly squishy and his basic move set is not that impressive. But once you get his shield shennigans rolling stuff gets hilarious.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
It's just so much faster to just fire off the shield or ironmans rocket than to paint targets before tossing/shooting. The tagging takes way too long and for iron man you need to hit specific areas. The other problem is sometimes you don't even have time to paint because one hit takes you out of it, and there have been times when I walk around a corner and immediately get hit with something with no warning. The range mobs are ridiculous sometimes with their blind fire.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Needs a lot of QOL. Big Marvel fan but can only really play it a mission or two at a time.

Just not having to press the tactical view button over and over to track down my objective and other players would go a long way for me.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So basically hold off for now? Or heck I suppose I can just wait for gamefly.

Ok yeah added to gamefly. I kept Nioh 2 for 12 bucks with a Coupon :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yea, wait awhile til they run the game over with a steamroller to flatten out all the bugs.

Also, who wants to be that one guy who runs the "Elite Heroic Hive" 20+ times to see if they get an exotic?

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think painting would be faster on a PC with keyboard mouse setup. The 'pan speed' once you go into paint mode on the controller is awful.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

definitely seems like a wait for first sale/multiple patches by then situation

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'd say whether you buy it now or wait for later is completely up to how stressed out you get by not having a completely perfect experience in gaming. it's not perfect, at all. for me, there are little bugs here and there, with only one time where i needed to completely redo a level because it crashed to desktop during the boss fight of one of those 45 minute long missions. there are spelling errors spread throughout the game, there's a goofy bug in cap's face in one of his costumes, there's some odd pathing issues with your companions (hulk got stuck half way in the ground in a falling animation until an enemy hit him)... i think the game is in need of a good amount of QoL fixes...

but i'm also having a really good time playing it. personally, with only 1 or 2 exceptions, none of the bugs/issues have really impaired my playing. if the game is fun and isn't antagonistic to me being able to play it, i'll tolerate a lot. so take that for what it's worth

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Utnayan Utnayan I saw your message on PSN and I'd say you might want to wait for a few bugs to get ironed out.
With that said, I don't regret paying full price for the game and I enjoyed the campaign (finished it today). It really scratched my super hero itch. I'm also enjoying the loot and power grind. I am worried about the end game but I think I still have some time till I reach that.
There are plenty of bugs. I have had a few annoying ones like while in the helicarrier I couldn't talk to Kamala on two separate occasions for those random conversations. Another was right after finishing the the campaign I tried to play a drop zone mission as Kamala initiated from the Anthill. A few minutes in the game would crash. This happened three times before I restarted to whole PS4. Loaded in, changed characters and loaded a mission from the helicarrier with no problem after. I then tried dropzones with Kamala and had no problems. Other are as mentioned the spelling errors and descriptions.
Last thing I think bothers me the most is that not all characters can open heavy doors to secret areas. Annoys the hell out of me.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Played for about 8 hours (PC Solo) last night, and afterwards felt more annoyed than satisfied tbh, even though I made plenty of progress. I'm not as far along as some of you guys, so please feel free to school me if I'm missing something obvious. Ignoring issues I have fighting with the camera, or the bugs & slowdowns that I can live with for now. My biggest gripes are about things that are unlikely to change much.

Getting staggered/chain staggered
- seems way over the top. Lasers and rockets from multiple directions and from across the map, respawning? turrets and drones. Trying not to get surrounded, and getting much better with dodging and block/parry the more I play, but this is the most annoying thing for me. Not only am I interrupted, but then I have to sit through a stagger "animation" only to get staggered again. So I run away, look for health orbs/canisters, clear out the turrets/drones and rinse repeat. By far the single biggest reason for me being "downed".

Companion AI
- they are pretty retarded, and don't care whether I live or die until I'm already downed, lol. Even if we start fighting in the same area of a map, I can find myself fighting alone early and often, to such a degree that I've completely lost sight of them. Only way I've found to get them to "regroup", is to run far enough away from combat that they are forced to follow.

Capture and hold points
- not a fan of this right now, mainly because so many skills are movement based and the areas are so tiny. Finding it really hard to stay put. Also why do I have a separate "evade" button or need to double tap? Why can't I map one touch keys to "evade left" "evade right" etc. Maybe it's a controller thing.

Still, really like the main campaign, and how they brought the characters/universe to life, (Banner is too much of a pussy for my liking though =) so don't regret paying full price. Also looking forward to new heroes as they arrive, new story arcs etc. etc.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I have to say this is some of the most frustrating combat I've had to deal with. You can easily get two shotted from range from stuff your own power level, lots of times you get shot the millisecond you turn a corner with no time to dodge like they tracked you the entire time you ran behind that wall or vehicle and shoot as soon as they see your nose, and a lot of times there's no tells for something incoming, and when the warning is there and fills up there's still a delay for when something may hit you so you can't even rely on looking at the warning. Maybe I need to gitgud or I'm getting too old for this shit, but every time I'm doing a combo only to get some random shot to the back to stun me is also getting old. I also think the ai targets you more when in solo so that doesn't help.

The dodge is weird, the first one is super short with some of them bring janky on some characters and not usually going the direction you want it to, you have to press it a second or third time to get the longer dodge, but most times you're going to get hit trying to do longer dodges and nevermind trying to dodge multiple projectiles at once. Then they have homing shots that the only way to get rid of them to shoot them down if you see them coming or get them to collide somewhere which may explode and hit you anyways. Every shot that hits you will interrupt, then they have shots that stun, or knock you down, or can't block, or even take away your sprint and dodge. Just give me 3 normal sized dodges, there's already enough stupid shit to deal with while also having to worry about my first dodge being useless too.

Let's also mention the ai companions who are dumb as rocks compared to the enemy ai, I'v had them pulling ultimates on a single guy who could be killed with a light combo. They also don't like giving you any space, many times I've had them run into me from the front, like why doesn't the ai run around the open side to get behind me, not cross in front of me every time.

The game needs a lot of QoL work, the crashes need to be fixed up, they have a couple patches in the works.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Note that if you get a bad daily or weekly challenge you get one 'mulligan' whereby you can refresh it. This is helpful if you get one which is either bugged and doesn't get counted or which is just really hard to pull off (like defeating a big bot with a takedown...oftentimes it's not quite enough to kill it and/or one of the other toons performs the takedown)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I love how everything at Gamefly says HIgh Availability on all their titles right now. Fuck you Gamefly because it isn't the truth.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love how everything at Gamefly says HIgh Availability on all their titles right now. Fuck you Gamefly because it isn't the truth.
Yeah, the website design looks like it was just updated too so someone probably screwed up the back end in the process and it's just showing "High" everywhere.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah just chatted with some imbelicle who said its working fine.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
With the takedowns on the dreadbots, as soon as you are given the option to tab x (or whatever the keyboard equivalent) if you do nothing, one of your teammates will come over and assist in the takedown, doing more damage. This will usually cause the dreadbots to die from the takedown instead of having a little bit of health left. It helps for any challenges that require dreadbots takedowns.

Also the double Dodge thing. If your just looking for a perfect dodge, the short dodge is fine, even for aoes. The longer double dodge is better for getting out of range of certain things or quickly getting out of line of sight. Also the game really wants you to perfect block more than dodge, but it's sort of antithetical to this generation of gamers with the souls games