Marvel's Avengers

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I went ahead and got it for the PS4. Here is my vaguely unordered notes:
I have a ton of issues with the game so far.
-People who were putting on the Destiny vs Anthem axis, it compares unfavorably for me to both. And they aren't things that are going to be fixed between now and release.
-The itemization, the camera movement and placement, the HUD, the combat mechanics even; I don't know if I need more time with it or if it would be unsatisfying even with more clarity. The game just didn't "click" with me after a few hours. Maybe that's because of the slow roll out of the characters/ the story.
-I played the first few missions and unlocked Iron Man and Black Widow but just wasn't compelled to go on after the HARM mission with Iron Man.
-I mostly played as the Hulk. and leveled him up to level 6? It wasn't really clear when and how I was progressing, either towards leveling (You're level 3 now!) or notably performance-wise on-screen. I got points, I put them into things and I guess I got better at them? I didn't feel much different from a play perspective when I was done playing.
-<personal pet peeve>I disliked the emphasis on the transversal mechanic but that's just industry standard. Hulk jumps on walls! Kamala swings on things! There aren't anymore platformers because everything's a platformer! Yay! People really enjoy this I guess and that's why every game keeps putting them in it. Note: There is a literal jumping platform path in a least one section of one mission if not more, and a wall jumping section in another for Hulk, and another where you have to swing back and forth between platforms to pull levers for Kamala, in just two of the first 4 missions. EDIT: another wall-jump section in the A-day mission for Hulk.
-The itemization was so generic. You found things! There is a button to "equip best items". It will be nice if you can build out different skills ala Marvel Heroes and surely that will be the case.
-You didn't have the play as Kamala Khan after the first mission after the A-day intro mission. (the one with Hulk and KK)
-I personally encountered a number of sections where the next objective was really unclear and I wandered/wondered about where to go next. Either because I just missed the dialogue, I wasn't sure where they were talking about or it seem logical to me. No map, no waypoint, no repeating the directions. Eventually I worked out where I was supposed to go but I guess in this new HUDless world getting lost is supposed to add to the immersion? This could be easily fixed but I don't get the point. Could be just me, though.
-Healing and taking damage in combat is...unusual. I just need more time with the game, really. I made it though but I never got comfortable with the rhythm as the Hulk. It's the first weekend of a closed beta and I wasn't enjoying myself as much as I had hoped. EDIT: Overall combat with the Hulk didn't feel good. His light attacks felt way underpowered and seemingly did less damage with any other character, except maybe Black Window? It's tough to compare because they aren't supposed to be equal experiences, although this was true in the A-Day gameplay through the starting missions. His heavy attacks felt OK but there must be something I am not getting about the combat overall.
-Kamala Khan: I know she is supposed to be ultimate Fangirl but they have her going from super dramatic moment back to bubbly geeky fangirl a couple of times with neckbreaking speed; hopefully there is some padding in these scenes in the retail game. It initially wasn't as bad as I thought (in the comics the character is terrible) but it was already getting old after just a few hours. I am afraid there is a real danger of that happening with the writing for all the characters.

The potential is there but this is at very best a wait and see how is it reviewed at launch from my perspective.
You should try out the next beta weekend, but don't play Hulk, he is by far the least fun to play. Try out Kamala or Black Widow, both are as much as fun as you'll have in the beta for combat. I got Kamala to lvl15 / pwr25, much more fun than Hulk and more mobile.

The only time I never saw a main objective waypoint during a mission was the very first where you play as Hulk and Kamala, all the rest after there I saw the main objective clearly marked. You might have missed them. If you were in one of the bigger map types, you could press up on the D-pad to show you secondary objectives on the map that you could do before the main. I liked the lack of any map, but I fear this led the devs to make rather simplistic environments.

Combat is kinda generic with what we have to try out. Each hero has the same basic "skeleton" for combat; Light / Heavy / Range / Charged Lt. / Charged Hvy. / Aerial, and attacks keyed off Dodging and Parry. Iron Man has a bit more variety depending on what you want to use, Lasers or Rockets in addition to his normal Replusors and Melee stuff. I usually just ran around picking my fights, while letting the other 3 heroes distract the hordes of mobs.

The loot is pretty generic, as expected, so I wasn't bothered by it. I did like how common the upgrade materials were for this low lvl stuff. I'm a bit confused why there is an inventory system when all the loot you get in a map is strictly for the character you're using. I only got loot for other characters after finishing all the missions, everyone got 1 purple each. So maybe there will be some sort of universal loot that you can share.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The lack of main objective was more like trying to even read what the objective was, sometimes it would have a circle if it was close, sometimes not so much:
-Looking for the Jarvis Hard drive in the "Trophy Room";
-Looking for the HARM Room "In the hanger" which actually meant backtracking in a room a few rooms back that my wife was talking to me while we passed through;
-Looking for the path at the start of the into the Avengers Archive mission when you had to jump up onto path from the stone quarry, another transversal that transitioned into a different path. I guess once you get used to looking for things to make jumps to it would be obvious but at the time...

All of these weren't killers but collectively I probably wasted 15-20 min of just plain looking for these three things. Not a huge killer but when you are blocked not by a skill check but just a lack of clarity in where something is... its concentrated frustration. I don't know, I hated point and click adventures, too.

Kamala played better than I expected but part of the issue you always have with using prexisting IP like this is, I am not playing Marvel Avengers to play as Black Widow or Kamala Khan. I mean, I will play them eventually; I owned every hero in Marvel Heroes. If Hulk sucks to play, however, then your game sucks to play.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The lack of main objective was more like trying to even read what the objective was, sometimes it would have a circle if it was close, sometimes not so much:
-Looking for the Jarvis Hard drive in the "Trophy Room";
-Looking for the HARM Room "In the hanger" which actually meant backtracking in a room a few rooms back that my wife was talking to me while we passed through;
-Looking for the path at the start of the into the Avengers Archive mission when you had to jump up onto path from the stone quarry, another transversal that transitioned into a different path. I guess once you get used to looking for things to make jumps to it would be obvious but at the time...

All of these weren't killers but collectively I probably wasted 15-20 min of just plain looking for these three things. Not a huge killer but when you are blocked not by a skill check but just a lack of clarity in where something is... its concentrated frustration. I don't know, I hated point and click adventures, too.

Kamala played better than I expected but part of the issue you always have with using prexisting IP like this is, I am not playing Marvel Avengers to play as Black Widow or Kamala Khan. I mean, I will play them eventually; I owned every hero in Marvel Heroes. If Hulk sucks to play, however, then your game sucks to play.
Right, all those instances you mentioned were before getting into the main game, once you get into the main mission maps, there is a clearly marked objective icon always on, whether its mobs, items or location. Finding the HARM room wasn't that bad, but that was due to finding chests to open as I looked around. Gotta get that loot!

Yea, I didn't want to play Kamala or Black Widow or even Iron Man, playing the Hulk is what I wanted, but it didn't take long for me to see he wasn't fun. I hope Capt is better, not sure I'll play Thor much.. the flying aspect of the game doesn't feel great at all.

spronk

FPS noob
its probably too late now but if you are a verizon phone/fiber customer you can run the UP rewards app and claim a beta reward, the first 5k are supposed to get the game free too. I used my wifes phone and got a notice that i'll get a free digital copy of the game "later"

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
its probably too late now but if you are a verizon phone/fiber customer you can run the UP rewards app and claim a beta reward, the first 5k are supposed to get the game free too. I used my wifes phone and got a notice that i'll get a free digital copy of the game "later"

Yeah, too late

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I have seen some reviews that were positive (The Kinda Funny guys seemed to have loved it) but Skill Up for me is mostly where I am at on the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Played this for a bit today on PC. Runs pretty good until shit starts exploding on screen then it comes to a crawl. Gameplay is not bad but not great. I liked playing cap the most out of the tutorial. Rolling through the first mission as hulk and I don't feel like the hulk. Dude should be one hitting peons but I know it's a game and they have to do some balancing. On the fence about refunding right now.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Played this for a bit today on PC. Runs pretty good until shit starts exploding on screen then it comes to a crawl. Gameplay is not bad but not great. I liked playing cap the most out of the tutorial. Rolling through the first mission as hulk and I don't feel like the hulk. Dude should be one hitting peons but I know it's a game and they have to do some balancing. On the fence about refunding right now.
From what I've seen of the beta footage, Hulk is super dependent on his rage mode to feel like the Hulk; it's where the bulk of his tankiness comes from, along with a good chunk of his damage. If you don't use it, he comes off as weirdly flimsy.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually liking Hulk (though I wish his rage was a toggle and not something you had to always hold... that doesn't feel great) - the performance is really hit and miss on PC, seems like it's not optimized well. I went into this with zero expectations and am enjoying it mostly. It's not amazing or anything, but it can be fun in bursts and the combat is a bit deeper than I expected. Doesn't seem ready for launch though, as there are a ton of things they need to iron out to make this feel like a AAA launch title. Best way to describe it is, this feels like a big Xbox exclusive, not a PS exclusive in terms of polish. Or, new Blizzard launch title vs old.

Couple of random thoughts - hate the menus, and hate the little blurry shit they are using when you hover over menu's/nameplates/gear etc. I get what they're going for but it looks like garbage. Would kill for a camera shake toggle (it is implemented very poorly and is really distracting), screen blur is also over the top. Would love the option to pull the camera out just a hair to get a better view of the combat. Sometimes when using a ranged ability it doesn't work immediately. You hold LT and then tap RT to /throw/blast/hammer/etc but it doesn't register correctly and feels like a pain to use.

Overall, I'm having a decent time with it and could see this being good at some point but it needs more time in the oven. I will probably keep my pre-order but am half tempted to cancel until it's on sale later and a lot of the niggling things are ironed out. With the Marvel license and backing, I expect they'll dump $ into keeping this going.

Last thing, Square Enix's account system is absolutely fucking retarded and I hate that you've gotta connect this bullshit to play this game. Genuinely the worst account system I've ever seen.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Watching someone play this on Twitch and I am glad I quit video games because this looks boring, tedious, and not at all fun. I assume that is because I don't actually like video games anymore and not because this is just a piece of shit with a Marvel skin.

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm enjoying it, but it's crashed a couple times on me in not great spots. After the frustrating Spider-Man news I was going to pass on it at least at launch, but will probably pick it up now.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I've played up to the mission select. Set graphics to very high with 4x resolution and have not had performance or crashing issues (running a 2080 Ti though). Production value is high. So far the gameplay is just ok but it looks like a lot of skill choices to unlock to make things a bit more interesting. At first look the gear system looks promising with more than just +stats and actual passive/chance to trigger type effects on items.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The more I play the more I like it. It is way more fun in a group of 4 then solo. Did harm mission 3 and it was actually challenging. It seems the bast way to gear up is to stack a certain tech like Stark tech and shit. They really need to work on net code though because you will see the other players warping around.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm finding it quite enjoyable and could see it being a blast with friends. Playing Iron Man is pretty much Anthem without the stupid limit on flight time.

I think of the available characters Widow is my least favorite, will be interesting to see how many heroes they eventually add.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
someone said earlier that hulk looks weird. his left side is noticeably smaller than his right. there are certain costumes that don't have that same effect, so i think it's story related.

there are a couple lines throughout the "story" missions that seem to imply that something happened to the hulk. abomination directly states that he seems different. if you look at his left pectoral muscle, there's some weird purple veins, as well. i'm wondering if he got infected by the terrigen mist as well and it's causing weird effects on him.

anyway, gameplay wise there is WAAAAAY too much screen shaking. like, i get it, hulk is a monster and all that... but even black widow has a ton of shaky cam going on. that needs to be toned WAY down

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The more I play this the more I like it. Simple things like being able to summon the Hulk buster armor and have someone else in the party use it as well as all the little touches in the game that set up each character as distinct really help.

It feels like Destiny if Destiny had actual differentiation between classes and a storyline.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
someone said earlier that hulk looks weird. his left side is noticeably smaller than his right. there are certain costumes that don't have that same effect, so i think it's story related.

there are a couple lines throughout the "story" missions that seem to imply that something happened to the hulk. abomination directly states that he seems different. if you look at his left pectoral muscle, there's some weird purple veins, as well. i'm wondering if he got infected by the terrigen mist as well and it's causing weird effects on him.

anyway, gameplay wise there is WAAAAAY too much screen shaking. like, i get it, hulk is a monster and all that... but even black widow has a ton of shaky cam going on. that needs to be toned WAY down
The screen shaking in the initial couple sequences is fucking crazy and really distracting. Some areas it seemed used okay but the whole brige thing was like come on guys knock it the fuck off. Tried it on my ps4 overall seemed to play well with only one area that was frame glitching a bit. I think the game probably will give me my monies worth I think the demo bouncing around in the story does not do it a ton of favors.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

• Ant Man
  • The Wasp
  • Vision
  • Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Falcon
  • Mar-Vell
  • Mockingbird
  • Quake
  • Winter Soldier
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Captain Marvel
  • Kate Bishop
  • She-Hulk
  • War Machine

Wish they would add Spider-Man but maybe they can't use him due to him being in the PS exclusive? I dunno.

I played in the beta this weekend, had some crashing issues and a couple quest bugs but I really enjoyed it, Black Widow was far and above my favorite to play.