Marvel's Avengers

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
They definitely don't want to pay the actors for their likenesses in this one.

Looks like the Batman anime but in Not-Japan so it lacks the cool factor? These are the same old complaints; we have comic book version(s)/MCU live action version, and for whatever reason, now this version. If the game doesn't suck, this version will be OK.

Please let the game not suck. I can't decide on which version to get, with probably $3500+ in platform costs coming up (2 of each console plus a new video card and processor) I don't want to buy multiple copies of the same games too. I would probably prefer the XBO version now and the PS5 version later.

Hate being forced to play through levels as characters I don't like, ala BW, although I did it in Marvel Heroes because the game was enjoyable. It didn't make me, though.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I just completed the first 2 missions.

The first one is the bridge where you control Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Black Widow. This is what they’ve shown. It’s kinda cool but switching from character after like 5 minutes on each isn’t really fun. You can’t get used to how they control. It’s a nice intro I guess, all five seem to control and feel different.

The second one you play as Hulk and Kamala, it’s not as cool as the first one but staying on just 2 characters allow you to learn them a bit more.

First opinion is a mixed from me. Hulk doesn’t feel very fun to play, he’s slow and seems to pretty much be just button mashing. I mean it’s the hulk so it feels ok in that sense but I’m not sure I like him. Kamala is a blast though, her abilities are fun and the traversal with her is cool, she plays like Spider-Man.

Combat felt ok, but repetitive. But again Hulk I think is not going to be the most fun to play. I can’t have to get to a place where I can play the others more. In the little at the beginning I think Thor felt great, IM, Cap and BW seemed ok. Kamala is probably my favourite so far.

Hard to judge gear and skill trees since I don’t have a lot of either. There’s like 9 different ressources for upgrading gear, not sure how that will work out.

Well going to play a bit more.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hulk is alright, my main issue with him is his size and not getting a good feel for dodging. His grab allows him to pick up enemies and either swing them around into other enemies, throw them into other enemies or just smash them into the ground (like puny god mode). Very Hulkish. I haven't spent much time on him since finding out how fun Kamala is though, I imagine BW will be just as fun. Flying around on IM just doesn't seem necessary at all, but everything else about him is solid fun.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They definitely don't want to pay the actors for their likenesses in this one.

Looks like the Batman anime but in Not-Japan so it lacks the cool factor? These are the same old complaints; we have comic book version(s)/MCU live action version, and for whatever reason, now this version. If the game doesn't suck, this version will be OK.

Please let the game not suck. I can't decide on which version to get, with probably $3500+ in platform costs coming up (2 of each console plus a new video card and processor) I don't want to buy multiple copies of the same games too. I would probably prefer the XBO version now and the PS5 version later.

Hate being forced to play through levels as characters I don't like, ala BW, although I did it in Marvel Heroes because the game was enjoyable. It didn't make me, though.
PS5 will have the most stuff, thanks Sony.

Its odd that your companions apparently don't earn XP while taking them along on missions.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Hulk's model looks messed up. The right side of his torso, and right arm are bigger than his left. Not sure if that has something to do with gear or not, but it looks really stupid.

I think you know why.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Game looks like shit. No one wants to play as Kamala Khan, but apparently is the lead for most of the story. Super shallow gameplay, but if you don't want to grind through the battle-pass shit, you can pay real $$$ for a boost! Gear is super basic, this ain't no aRPG loot and scoot. Janky animations/camera work. Instead of spending time on ways to milk cash out of people they should have focused on making a good game, but sadly that is the way of the world now with AAA games.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Game looks like shit. No one wants to play as Kamala Khan, but apparently is the lead for most of the story. Super shallow gameplay, but if you don't want to grind through the battle-pass shit, you can pay real $$$ for a boost! Gear is super basic, this ain't no aRPG loot and scoot. Janky animations/camera work. Instead of spending time on ways to milk cash out of people they should have focused on making a good game, but sadly that is the way of the world now with AAA games.

The main issue I see is that they hyped this up almost as the evolution of Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) except with, like, more heroes and stuff! But what made Spidey so amazing (hah) was that the developpers really worked on creating a unique fighting style and moves and skills for Spider-man, with an engaging story developped around him with his nemesis, side-characters, etc.... here it's just going to be surface-level bullshit because there is no way you can create animations, fighting styles and skills interesting enough for Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc, and the story is going to also be very superficial because you don't have time or ressources to get into anything interesting for every character...

Instead of developping this abortion, they should have made an Iron Man or a Thor game after the release of the Spidey sequel, it'd have been much more interesting (passing on Hulk because he had several good games in the past already).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The main issue I see is that they hyped this up almost as the evolution of Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) except with, like, more heroes and stuff! But what made Spidey so amazing (hah) was that the developpers really worked on creating a unique fighting style and moves and skills for Spider-man, with an engaging story developped around him with his nemesis, side-characters, etc.... here it's just going to be surface-level bullshit because there is no way you can create animations, fighting styles and skills interesting enough for Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc, and the story is going to also be very superficial because you don't have time or ressources to get into anything interesting for every character...

Instead of developping this abortion, they should have made an Iron Man or a Thor game after the release of the Spidey sequel, it'd have been much more interesting (passing on Hulk because he had several good games in the past already).

i agree with this, but only to the extent that the developers worked really hard on creating a unique MOVEMENT style for spider-man. the combat is great, sure, but at this point in gaming history, if you DON'T make the combat great in an action game, everyone notices. the web-swinging is specifically what makes or breaks a spider-man game. it's actually pretty interesting that after 40+ hours, people can start to get worn out by the combat in spider-man, but have never used quick travel.

i haven't played this game yet, but i think that's the key to making characters FEEL different. it's not about having different combos, but having different ways of navigating. like, for example if you have hulk and black widow go through a level, hulk should be a combination of high jumping and just bulldozing through crap. black widow should be moving through stealthily, going through air ducts, or using shield tech. it might even be interesting to have her straight up avoid enemies. disguising herself as AIM security and then as a scientist to get where she needs to go. she could gain exp for every "room" she avoids alerting.

point is, everyone can fight. everyone can throw a punch. sure, hulk smashes like no one else, and thor has mjolnir, but mechanically, it's just melee. games don't really know the difference between ironman's repulsor blast and black widow's .45's.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
after you finish the tutorial missions basically, the first few missions the last one being with kamala and hulk, you have to go to the starboard/aft side of the ship to the HARM room, complete the Iron Man HARM mission, and then the world map in the front of the ship opens up like 8 new missions. i didn't bother playing any of them, i was honestly just bored of the game and have zero desire to play at launch.

maybe in a year when its on PS5 and patched to hell, but at launch its gonna be a mess. It reminded me most of Destiny 1, most of the "end bosses" consist of defend a point while hordes attack, and I found that shit super annoying and boring in Destiny, Gears of War, Borderlands, etc. This game felt like it was designed 5 years ago.

Remember, Sony is gonna have the exclusive Spider-man character and no one has said if its timed or not so kinda hard to really argue for playing on anything but a PS5.

The MTX for this game is gonna be ludicrously bad

Ee1EQ5FUYAIIbJU.jpg

• 1Truth!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
From what I've been seeing I have to thank sony for the spiderman exclusive and deterring me from a purchase. Just going to wait for the bargain bin PC price

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They really, really need to change the companion system. Not allowing the companions, which you HAVE to bring along with you, to earn xp while you are playing the character you WANT to play is stupid. The system forces you to either go lvl up those other characters, or run multiplayer.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was still going to rent it at release to see for myself, but that shit got deleted from my GF queue the moment I saw the MTX faggotry they decided would be ok in a full price "AAA" (lol no) game.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So played more mostly as Kamala since she’s the most fun in my opinion.

I did all the missions. Some a few times since I was under-geared for one of them.

Basically the end game is a few type of missions

HARM challenge, danger room type thing. It’s a virtual room where you fight waves of ennemies. Not especially fun.

Drop Zones, very short missions 10-15 minutes with a single objective. Fairly linear but there’s some hidden chest. Nothing really special.

Sectors, these are the most fun. 30-45 minutes long missions. Fairly big open area, the main mission consist of multiple steps. There is also optional stuff to discover like mini bosses that so far always seem to drop purple loot. Side missions like rescue prisoners. Hidden cache with puzzles to open them. The one I ran multiple times had the chest spawn in different locations and the puzzles were different also so that was kind of interesting.

There’s 3 types of sectors. The generic one where you go in and complete the mission. There’s the Villain sector that has a big boss fight at the end(that was fun). And the Iconic one where you have to play as a specific hero in this case the Hulk.

These drop zones and sectors can have different modifiers like ennemies use cryo attacks that freezes you. I’m guess at higher difficulty you may want to gear in accordingly.

The actual objectives were way too repetitive. I think I saw only 4 types. Waves of ennemies, defend a specific point. And alternate between 3 point that you take over but ennemie retake them while Jarvis hacks something. You need to be in control more than the ennemies. The last one is destroy stuff like generators. The thing is they pretty much all play the same way.

Gear doesn’t seem very interesting but then that like saying level 10 diablo gear isn’t interesting. I have no clue if loot gets better at high with legendary items but the green, blue and purple stuff felt very boring.

Again can’t speak much about skill trees we only have 1 of 3 so no clue what the other tree are like and if you can actually make different builds. Not sure how many point you get so no idea how much choices you have to make with builds.

Kamala was fun at the start but became even more fun with more skills. So for this I am looking forward to release.

All in all, while it’s kind of fun playing the heroes. The game is extremely very repetitive and somewhat uninspired.

Unless the stuff that missing in beta is more diverse missions. Like something objectives that actually feels different I don’t see the game having staying power.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
You are not filling me with confidence here...well not confidence IN the product anyway.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who would only be playing on Ps4, its just not good. Running at an unstable 30fps on a Ps4 Pro (4k), with the amount of motion blur and screen shake its annoying as fuck, running on Performance just makes the game look dated. If still interested, get it on PC or wait til the PS5 release.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who would only be playing on Ps4, its just not good. Running at an unstable 30fps on a Ps4 Pro (4k), with the amount of motion blur and screen shake its annoying as fuck, running on Performance just makes the game look dated. If still interested, get it on PC or wait til the PS5 release.
Although the devs have said they'll be doing something about the screen shake and motion blur (probably just putting toggles in the options).

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I went ahead and got it for the PS4. Here is my vaguely unordered notes:
I have a ton of issues with the game so far.
-People who were putting on the Destiny vs Anthem axis, it compares unfavorably for me to both. And they aren't things that are going to be fixed between now and release.
-The itemization, the camera movement and placement, the HUD, the combat mechanics even; I don't know if I need more time with it or if it would be unsatisfying even with more clarity. The game just didn't "click" with me after a few hours. Maybe that's because of the slow roll out of the characters/ the story.
-I played the first few missions and unlocked Iron Man and Black Widow but just wasn't compelled to go on after the HARM mission with Iron Man.
-I mostly played as the Hulk. and leveled him up to level 6? It wasn't really clear when and how I was progressing, either towards leveling (You're level 3 now!) or notably performance-wise on-screen. I got points, I put them into things and I guess I got better at them? I didn't feel much different from a play perspective when I was done playing.
-<personal pet peeve>I disliked the emphasis on the transversal mechanic but that's just industry standard. Hulk jumps on walls! Kamala swings on things! There aren't anymore platformers because everything's a platformer! Yay! People really enjoy this I guess and that's why every game keeps putting them in it. Note: There is a literal jumping platform path in a least one section of one mission if not more, and a wall jumping section in another for Hulk, and another where you have to swing back and forth between platforms to pull levers for Kamala, in just two of the first 4 missions. EDIT: another wall-jump section in the A-day mission for Hulk.
-The itemization was so generic. You found things! There is a button to "equip best items". It will be nice if you can build out different skills ala Marvel Heroes and surely that will be the case.
-You didn't have the play as Kamala Khan after the first mission after the A-day intro mission. (the one with Hulk and KK)
-I personally encountered a number of sections where the next objective was really unclear and I wandered/wondered about where to go next. Either because I just missed the dialogue, I wasn't sure where they were talking about or it seem logical to me. No map, no waypoint, no repeating the directions. Eventually I worked out where I was supposed to go but I guess in this new HUDless world getting lost is supposed to add to the immersion? This could be easily fixed but I don't get the point. Could be just me, though.
-Healing and taking damage in combat is...unusual. I just need more time with the game, really. I made it though but I never got comfortable with the rhythm as the Hulk. It's the first weekend of a closed beta and I wasn't enjoying myself as much as I had hoped. EDIT: Overall combat with the Hulk didn't feel good. His light attacks felt way underpowered and seemingly did less damage with any other character, except maybe Black Window? It's tough to compare because they aren't supposed to be equal experiences, although this was true in the A-Day gameplay through the starting missions. His heavy attacks felt OK but there must be something I am not getting about the combat overall.
-Kamala Khan: I know she is supposed to be ultimate Fangirl but they have her going from super dramatic moment back to bubbly geeky fangirl a couple of times with neckbreaking speed; hopefully there is some padding in these scenes in the retail game. It initially wasn't as bad as I thought (in the comics the character is terrible) but it was already getting old after just a few hours. I am afraid there is a real danger of that happening with the writing for all the characters.

The potential is there but this is at very best a wait and see how is it reviewed at launch from my perspective.

Last edited:
  • 1Like