FPS noob
this game launches in 6 days, but lol

hero-card-mxau5ovm9.png

i think i'm getting a free copy from my wife's verizon account but im not sure

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I actually think their battle pass system is pretty fair for a battle pass system. You get the first 6 hero premium rows unlocked for free. You only have to pay for the premium rows of the new heroes that are added and if you complete the full pass I believe you get 12.50$ worth of credits back that you could then apply to the next hero. And there's no time gate to it.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I actually think their battle pass system is pretty fair for a battle pass system. You get the first 6 hero premium rows unlocked for free. You only have to pay for the premium rows of the new heroes that are added and if you complete the full pass I believe you get 12.50$ worth of credits back that you could then apply to the next hero. And there's no time gate to it.
This is on top of a $60 box cost.

You're why gaming is the way it is now.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I’m not a fan of battle passes either. This one looks like you can complete without paying anything was all I’m saying. I think this game will have bigger problems then its battle pass system.

Last edited:

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This game is a dumpster fire:

Avengers: Infinite Monetization

Live service game are digital timeshares. STAY AWAY.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah

At their quoted exchange rate (500 credits = $5.00) it's actually $125.00, but it's NOT credits you get; it says the content you earn is VALUED at 12,500 credits per Hero Challenge Card completed. Since Epic outfits are $9/900 credits each and are the highest tier, no way they are giving you access to them quickly. I assume that means they're going to take a long-ass time to complete, but who knows really? Also pretty sure I'm parsing it correctly, that on completion, you only get back the 1000 credits used to unlock the Card.

But wait, there's more! You can $$buy$$ "Tier skips" if you're in a hurry. Excited now!?

Hold on, there's even MOOAAR! Epic and Rare outfits rotate on the store daily, so better $$buy$$ that shiny RIGHT NOW, or you may not see it again for fuck knows how long!

Yeah, fuck that noise, even ignoring the box cost... Fuck them up the arse with the sharp end of a pineapple. (yes, I am aware that all ends of a pineapple are somewhat sharp)

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Meh, If the game is fun I'd buy it and play it. I give a shit for cosmetics and stuff so the store means shit to me. I also doubt this game has enough replayability that I'd worry about characters coming out months from release.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't realize so many people gave a shit about skins. I don't plan on buying any of the battle passes.

• 1Solidarity

Argarth

On the verandah
If the game has no legs, then it's not even worth the box cost imo. This is the sort of game that needs to be developed and added to for years to come, and cosmetic micro-transactions is one way of doing it. In Marvel Heroes (yes, ftp, i know) playing $$dress-up was probably the major way that long term development of the game was funded.

That's why I said "even ignoring the box cost". This system is way more egregious than anything MH had going on, and I happily put more than 2000 hours into that game.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't think it's actually that bad. it's been explained a few times. the first 6 heroes' battle passes are free. each battle pass gives you the credits to pay for itself (reimbursed). the ONLY thing battle passes add are some materials (that you can just farm for pretty easily) and cosmetics.

so lets say war machine comes out and you're perfectly happy with his base skin. you can play as him, do all his story missions, do any content with him... you don't need to do anything with the battle pass. but let's say war machine comes out and they have the iron patriot suit and you want to cosplay as norman osborne leading the dark avengers... well, thankfully you already had the 6 base heroes' battlepasses completed so you already have the credits for 6 more battle passes. go ahead and buy the next 6 battlepasses that come out because as soon as you finish those, you'll get the credits for 6 MORE battlepasses...

you buy the box price, and you can still get everything the game ever offers you for free, including new character battle passes.

OF COURSE there are going to be weirdos that are impatient and just HAVE to have that skin NOW so they'll drop the money for it, and i'm fine with that.

edit: to be specific, the devs have said it will cost 1000 credits to buy a battle pass. once you complete a battle pass, you will have earned your 1000 credits back. each battle pass is valued at 12500 credits.

spronk

FPS noob
Every big game nowadays does this from Madden, FIFA, Call of Duty, Fortnite, etc, etc. So its not really a big "surprise".

The thing is though, every game has also figured out how to create a bunch of knobs and dials they can adjust as they need. Need some extra money to pay for the CEOs sexual assault lawsuit? No problem, tweak this seasons battlepass to "only" last 21 days instead of 40 days, and now a ton of people are gonna cough up $10 to make sure they finish in time. Need an extra $50k because you have to hire Barack Obama to do an ad to prove you aren't racist? No problem, just drop in a gold iron man skin for $15 and enough people will buy it.

They just create systems that let them dial up the $$ knobs whenever they want, and its kinda disgusting. Everyone does it, I don't know how we went from "Teh governments of da world are gonna investigate loot boxes!!1!! Kiddie gambling!!" 2 years ago to "Battle passes everywhere!!!" now but it sucks. I don't give a shit about skins, I have sunk 100+ hours into COD 2019 and 20+ into Fall Guys and not spent a penny on anything so I guess the whales are "supporting" me, but man it'd be nice to go back to a time where you just could not spend money inside a game, cosmetic or p2w. But I guess its just another byproduct of the world moving past what you want.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I didn't realize so many people gave a shit about skins. I don't plan on buying any of the battle passes.

What do you mean? Thats like been all of RPG/MMORPG/ARPG since inception. Its always been about leveling yoru character and finding cool gear and your character looking awesome. The look of the gear was always part of the lure of the grind. Now games just monetize the cosmetics....

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
so lets say war machine comes out and you're perfectly happy with his base skin. you can play as him, do all his story missions, do any content with him... you don't need to do anything with the battle pass. but let's say war machine comes out and they have the iron patriot suit and you want to cosplay as norman osborne leading the dark avengers... well, thankfully you already had the 6 base heroes' battlepasses completed so you already have the credits for 6 more battle passes. go ahead and buy the next 6 battlepasses that come out because as soon as you finish those, you'll get the credits for 6 MORE battlepasses...

I see your point, but it's not going to work like that for me at all, and I won't be alone.

Of the six heroes coming at release, I'm only really interested in Cap. Say I level him up, finish the story arc, complete his Challenge card, and maybe it takes me 20 or 30 or even 40 hours, who knows? I'm having a blast! Now all I want to do is improve his armour/skills etc. and I'm even less interested in the other heroes. I'm having fun!

There's no way I'm going to play characters I have no interest in, for all that time again, just to "earn" some extra credits. So I keep playing Cap, buy him a costume or two, maybe I dabble a little on the side with the others, and I've got the 1000 credits saved. Hawkeye lands, here's my credits to "unlock" him, I'm keen, but JEEZUZ HE SUCKS ARSE!

No more credits, have to "pay" $10 for each and every hero from now on just to try them out, even if I never intend to buy another costume again. That scenario would have been impossible in Marvel Heroes, and I'll bet that's exactly why this design came down the pipe.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I see your point, but it's not going to work like that for me at all, and I won't be alone.

Of the six heroes coming at release, I'm only really interested in Cap. Say I level him up, finish the story arc, complete his Challenge card, and maybe it takes me 20 or 30 or even 40 hours, who knows? I'm having a blast! Now all I want to do is improve his armour/skills etc. and I'm even less interested in the other heroes. I'm having fun!

There's no way I'm going to play characters I have no interest in, for all that time again, just to "earn" some extra credits. So I keep playing Cap, buy him a costume or two, maybe I dabble a little on the side with the others, and I've got the 1000 credits saved. Hawkeye lands, here's my credits to "unlock" him, I'm keen, but JEEZUZ HE SUCKS ARSE!

No more credits, have to "pay" $10 for each and every hero from now on just to try them out, even if I never intend to buy another costume again. That scenario would have been impossible in Marvel Heroes, and I'll bet that's exactly why this design came down the pipe.

Hawkeye will be free, you'd be paying to unlock extra cosmetics. You'd play him and know he'd suck and not spend your 1000.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hawkeye will be free, you'd be paying to unlock extra cosmetics. You'd play him and know he'd suck and not spend your 1000.

i'm not sure why but i think people keep missing this point. the CONTENT will be free for anyone who's bought the game.

i'll just put the caveat here that who knows what will happen down the road, but the devs have said multiple times in multiple places that heroes will always be free as well as any new missions.

but as of right now, the ONLY thing that costs extra are cosmetics. when hawkeye comes out, he's free. when any of the 16 or so leaked heroes are released, they are free. the ONLY thing in a battlepass are some crafting materials, some money (units and credits), and cosmetics (like emotes, costumes and banners). like i said earlier, if/when war machine comes out, you will not need to purchase him to play him in any missions. there are ZERO restrictions (except for story missions requiring certain heroes). if you want some emotes or costumes for him, then you can purchase the battle pass but again, THAT IS ONLY FOR COSMETICS.

battle passes are for cosmetics only.

COSMETICS ONLY...

are we all clear now?

Argarth

On the verandah
i'm not sure why but i think people keep missing this point. the CONTENT will be free for anyone who's bought the game.

i'll just put the caveat here that who knows what will happen down the road, but the devs have said multiple times in multiple places that heroes will always be free as well as any new missions.

but as of right now, the ONLY thing that costs extra are cosmetics. when hawkeye comes out, he's free. when any of the 16 or so leaked heroes are released, they are free. the ONLY thing in a battlepass are some crafting materials, some money (units and credits), and cosmetics (like emotes, costumes and banners). like i said earlier, if/when war machine comes out, you will not need to purchase him to play him in any missions. there are ZERO restrictions (except for story missions requiring certain heroes). if you want some emotes or costumes for him, then you can purchase the battle pass but again, THAT IS ONLY FOR COSMETICS.

battle passes are for cosmetics only.

COSMETICS ONLY...

are we all clear now?

Yes Sir... Crystal! In that Dev Blog, seems like I forgot to read 3 different sentences, all from different paragraphs, all at the same time. What a dumbass!

The key sentence, which I think I get now: "When we introduce new Hero Challenge Cards for post-launch heroes, the cost to activate the premium rewards will be 1,000 Credits."

I got confused with all this Battle Pass chatter, and somehow assumed the Pass was what unlocked the Challenge Card in the first place. Apparently not. Seems like the first 5 Tiers, which include all the resources used for gear upgrades etc, are already unlocked for every character. The last 6 Tiers with credits/cosmetics are the only things locked.

I'm totally fine with it, if that's the case, and sorry for wasting everybody's time. Getting back in my box now, really... closing the lid... thanks