Marvel's Daredevil

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I've got the old Bowen red and yellow statue and that's still my favorite of his outfits but the tv show one looks pretty good. I'm only up to episode 8, does it make it into this season?

Probably a spoiler but who was Stick talking to at the end of episode 7? I've been trying to remember the Miller run and didn't think it was from that era.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've got the old Bowen red and yellow statue and that's still my favorite of his outfits but the tv show one looks pretty good. I'm only up to episode 8, does it make it into this season?

Probably a spoiler but who was Stick talking to at the end of episode 7? I've been trying to remember the Miller run and didn't think it was from that era.
Originally answered by Column a ways up.

In Daredevil there is an organization called the Chaste that Stick leads, one of his best warriors is called Stone. The guy we see in that episode is Stone and he's played by Jasson Finney. For now, all you need to know about Stone is that he's really tough to hurt, he's another Stick pupil, and he loves fighting ninjas. These are all creations by Frank Miller they are sourcing from his run on the book.

To put it more into perspective, the Hand ( the red Ninjas we see from Nobus clan) battle heavily with the Chaste. Something that Daredevil frequently is involved with.

If you want to read more about Stick, the wiki link

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stick_%28Earth-616%29
rrr_img_94551.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was tempted but I got a really neat weird daredevil demon looking out fit for him on one of the bogo deals around xmas that I am using.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Binge watched it over the weekend late Saturday and Sunday nights so no sleep for the most part. Started out amazing which is what pulled me in. It got a little wordy in the middle but by then I was really into the story so I did not mind. I truly enjoyed that it was more like a 13 hour movie than 13 separate episodes. It would be very cool if Netflix released it as such.

I did not even realize they just released this this weekend I was just happy to see some 4k content and wanted to see how it looked on the Sony. Really pleasantly surprised by how amazingly good this was.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Originally answered by Column a ways up.

In Daredevil there is an organization called the Chaste that Stick leads, one of his best warriors is called Stone. The guy we see in that episode is Stone and he's played by Jasson Finney. For now, all you need to know about Stone is that he's really tough to hurt, he's another Stick pupil, and he loves fighting ninjas. These are all creations by Frank Miller they are sourcing from his run on the book.

To put it more into perspective, the Hand ( the red Ninjas we see from Nobus clan) battle heavily with the Chaste. Something that Daredevil frequently is involved with.

If you want to read more about Stick, the wiki link

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stick_%28Earth-616%29
rrr_img_94551.jpg
Thanks, more I think about it I remember them from the comics, just didn't put two and two together.

Rhedd

Molten Core Raider
Anyone catch the old lady and her comment about her journey home being much farther than China?

Column_sl

shitlord
They are saying she is really Crane Mother, mystic and ruler of Ku'n-Zi.

If that turns out to be true she is an adversary of Iron Fist. There is also a lot of Iron Fist Easter eggs also in the Daredevil show.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hmm I seem to be alone in not really liking Fisk. I don't dislike the casting, as you can't really cast that character well at all. But coming from a background of only having seen Kingpin in stuff like the Spiderman cartoon from ~15 years ago, I have to say, I was disappointed. All throughout, it just seemed like Fisk did not have his shit together in the slightest. Complete and utter chaos, always having to put out fires, etc. And while I appreciate their desire to give him some (or portray the comic's) humanity, for me, it just detracted. I came in expecting the stoic badass crime boss, and I came away thinking ... bleh.

I guess the other portrayals I saw just did the character a disservice, or something, since I've never seen his comic appearances. But I really wanted something a lot more badass out of my Fisk, not this overly human flawed guy who was all-too-clearly way too emotionally involved in all the things.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vince as an actor, and think he did an amazing job acting out what they apparently wanted from him. It just wasn't at all what I was expecting, which left me a tad bummed. Overall fantastic season though, and very much looking forward to more.

I definitely enjoyed that they weren't afraid to kill off big characters. I was utterly surprised when Wesley was killed, and quite upset (in a good way), as I've always had a love for that type of character, for some reason. Loyalty to the last, despite working for a crazy man who at any point may go a little too crazy and just kill you dead because he's momentarily pissed off.

Who is the scarred guy Stick was talking to? Someone from the Hand or something? I don't know much about Daredevil short of having played him as my first Marvel Heroes character, and seeing the shit-tastic Affleck movie
You realize this is as much Kingpins origin story as it is Daredevil's right? Kingpin starts as a frightened man child still staring at a wall every night trying to figure out what kind of man he wants to be, while at the same time thinking what he wants to do will make the city better, as if by super gentrification you suddenly get rid of the real problems. He's also self hating and ashamed of himself and that translates to his dislike of the public.

By the end of the series he has been seen clearly by a woman he loves who still loves him even after seeing him, he has gone from trying to 'make the city better' to thinking it deserves whatever it gets and people like his father, and has gotten to the point where he no longer gives two shits about publicity or image.

The entire set up is leading up to a much tougher series 2, with a more ruthless, and entirely underground Kingpin.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I agree about it being Kingpin's origin story too.

Speaking of the woman though (Vanessa I believe), they cast the perfect woman for that. Her Resting Bitch Face is just phenomenal. I almost felt small and worthless through the television!

Malkav

French Madman
Speaking of the woman though (Vanessa I believe), they cast the perfect woman for that. Her Resting Bitch Face is just phenomenal. I almost felt small and worthless through the television!
She reminded me of an old friend of mine (who also happened to be an artist) with whom I got in a fight a few years back and have no news since then. I was pissed every time she was on screen because of that. The same fucking resting bitch face.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I agree about it being Kingpin's origin story too.

Pretty sure she was Kal-el's mom in Man of Steel.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well shit, the fight scene at the end of episode 2 was by far one of the best I've seen for a TV series, period. The long takes, very few cuts or transitions as well as the sense of exhaustion really sold me on continuing the rest of the season.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well shit, the fight scene at the end of episode 2 was by far one of the best I've seen for a TV series, period. The long takes, very few cuts or transitions as well as the sense of exhaustion really sold me on continuing the rest of the season.
Is that the hallway one where like a tv flys into the hallway to hit someone or was it a microwave?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not nearly as good as the long-take in S1 True Detective but I'll take it anyway. Not enough long-take action sequences out there.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure she was Kal-el's mom in Man of Steel.
Despite my love for Man of Steel, I can be excused for not knowing that because whenever I watch parts of that movie again, I immediately hit the "10 minute skip" button twice (or maybe it is three times) which brings me right to the burning oil rig scene. I've only ever watched the part with his mom once, in the theater. Because it is terrible.

IMDB says you are correct. It also says she's the same age as me. Maybe I've got a shot!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I want to like this show but I am just struggling to get into it. I am not super familiar with the comic but the whole setting seems off to me, I feel like present day DD does not work nearly as well as 1970s DD would work. Also, I do not like this Kingpin too skinny and does not yell enough. I liked how they did the sonar graphics in the shitty Affleck movie and I wish they would copy them in this show, some how that made it more believable.

Anyway, 4 episodes in and struggling. I really really want to like this so I will press forward and keep watching.