Marvel's Jessica Jones

fris

Vyemm Raider
when does Luke Cage show start? Someone active/mod should start a Marvel TV show thread similar to the Marvel Movie thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers. But, I just finished episode 10 and I had to say that I have never hated a character as much as I hate the ever living shit out of that dumb fucking redhead sister. Holy fuck do I want to strangle her with my bare hands for being such a bat shit crazy cunt. Every fucking scene she's in, I hope that Jessica will go into a rage and rip her head from her dumb fucking neck.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
allright, finished it up last night and skimmed through the thread. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt kinda 'meh' about the show. The first comments/reviews made it sound like this was the best thing marvel had done yet. That was definitely a bit overblown. It wasn't bad, per se, but I kinda had to force myself to get through the entire season. I wasn't craving more episodes every time I finished one, like I do with really good shows.

The decisions a lot of the characters make were just fucking stupid, too. I've already said my peace about the redhead bitch, but everyone is guilty of some dumbfuckery. Why not just get a fucking gun Jessica? Shoot the guy who can mind control people, from a distance! Don't get close enough to potentially be controlled. I get that she needed him alive for Hope for the first half of the season, but after that it should have been easy to fix.
Plus, wtf is wrong with all the law enforcement/lawyers? A giant green hulk, alien invasion, a thunder god, etc.. are all fine, but mind control is 'crazy' ?!? They still want to try and arrest him even though that obviously can't work? Jesus christ, that's not how anyone would handle that situation if it were real, it's totally contrived due to lazy writing.
I mean, the first thing you do is see if the avengers or someone can assist, but let's say you can't get ahold of them. Fine. They would at least have to have new procedures in place, or at least be open minded to doing things differently, after having 'gifted' beings confirmed. I hate this kind of writing, where all common sense is thrown out the window for the sake of the plot. It's just lazy.

Other then that, the acting of the main characters was all decent to strong. The overall mood and theme were good, so it's by no means a terrible show. Just some parts of it really aggravated me.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers. But, I just finished episode 10 and I had to say that I have never hated a character as much as I hate the ever living shit out of that dumb fucking redhead sister. Holy fuck do I want to strangle her with my bare hands for being such a bat shit crazy cunt. Every fucking scene she's in, I hope that Jessica will go into a rage and rip her head from her dumb fucking neck.
ROFL. Yeah, she was the worst part of the show. I got to a point where I just went right through her excessive whining. As others have said, the show was good but felt drawn out. The main actress did a good job with the character. She was the reason I kept watching. I like the premise but he could have been beaten by ear plugs. Hell, you could scream LALALALALA while punching him in the face. See how well he can give commands with broken teeth.blood and an unhinged jaw. In fact, if a person does not know English, is he up a shit creek? It would have been a lot more powerful if it was a physic ability that just required proximity, rather than a voice. Show was still worth watching and I hope they do more cross-over, as for a brief moment I thought Dare-Devil was going to make an appearance. I was disappointed he didn't.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm on episode 4. I was expecting game of thrones good, this show is 20% contrived, 10% witty, and 70% gay.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm on episode 4. I was expecting game of thrones good, this show is 20% contrived, 10% witty, and 70% gay.
The show is nowhere close to the quality of Game of Thrones. The main character is the positive aspect of the show along with the scenes with Luke Cage teaming up with her. The villain was also entertaining. The show suffers from what I call a Soap Opera time table. They seem to draw out conversations and arcs to the point where a person could have rightfully felt as if they were watching Days of our Lives. Dare Devil had a couple of those moments but the actions was more frequent and the story line went faster. Hopefully the next season will do a better job of moving the story along without so many trivial side stories. It was odd that despite all the time they had, you never get to see when she actually got her powers. You see the car crash, adoption and then the bathroom scene. I am guessing the 2nd season will show more of the actual reason she got her powers, revolving around the evil corporation.

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I finished watching the season, and I am very mixed about it. I feel that the biggest thing I didn't like about Jessica Jones was the same thing I didn't like about Daredevil . . the lead actor. I thought Daredevil was far more interesting when Charlie Cox was not onscreen, and I felt pretty much the same about Ritter. Neither has the charisma or acting chops to lead a show.

The first line spoken in the very first episode was laughably awful. I felt like the first six episodes were mostly unnecessary. The show finally showed some life at episode 7, and I enjoyed the latter episodes. But the first six episodes took me a long while to complete, because I kept pausing the show to go do something else.

Let's face it, Jewel/Jessica Jones is a pretty lame superhero. I don't blame her for being depressed. Her superpower is breaking padlocks on doors.

Like Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, the antagonist, Killgrave, was by far the best part of the season.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Like Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, the antagonist, Killgrave, was by far the best part of the season.
To be fair, they went balls to the wall on both actors for those villains. Both are A list top notch serious actors with shitloads of experience and the chops to do just about anything.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm still watching this show and while I like it more than Daredevil on the whole it is dragging just like Daredevil did

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was in a discussion with some people who went on and on about how amazing her portrayal of PTSD was, and while it certainly wasn't bad, I wasn't particularly moved by it because you only ever see the broken version of Jones. There's a reason Stana Katic won a Prism award for her portrayal of PTSD in Castle, and it wasn't just her great performance in the episode, it was the three previous seasons of her being a mostly tough as nails homicide detective only to have her PTSD completely wrecking her, which adds a lot more weight to it.

Sulrn

Deuces
Not sure I want to comment on the "PTSD", but I felt the show started off on a good foot then killed itself off pretty quickly with shitty plot holes and no real Marvel tie in besides 2 Avenger 1 references? Mutants have been outed for at least 10 years, Avengers are in the public eye, the F4 is in the public eye and "mind control" is beyond belief? Give me a break. Where is Shield in all of this - ignoring a girl saying someone made her do it I can accept, but the largest radio personality in NYC saying the same thing - where's the agent knocking on J's door card in hand?

Also felt the power fluctuation of J and L for the sake of plot was dumb as fuck. I get they are both hiding and low key, but we go from J being stronger than Luke to J being unable to even stand toe toe to toe with roids(which was retarded in its own way) cop much less Luke under the influence - which realistically would make him weaker if it really is a virus.

I enjoyed the show until about 6-8 episodes in before it got worse and worse. By the end I was actually hoping it would get to the point it would be so bad it wouldn't get picked up for a second season or it's spin off I'm seeing that it has.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
She was already badly hurt when she was brawling with Nuke. This is the MCU, there are no mutants, there is no Fantastic 4. Shield is stretched pretty thin but I agree that it's kind of dumb for them to show up, and nobody believing in mind control is especially retarded considering that Scarlet Witch mind controlled damn near the whole team at once in AoU.

Sulrn

Deuces
I know she had a broken rib during the fight, but out of all the things that went down in that show it equated to plot armor or plot shackles more than anything for the sake of getting Trish to take the red pill - van fight comes to mind. Dozen feet from the cell and our super strong hero can't fling a few guys out of taze baton distance(when it matters) even though she does exactly that during a bar fight (one handed flinging - to can't even to hand shove anyone off her). Drama for the sake of drama.

The distinction between the MCU or other Marvel universes was lost on me as an occasional comic reader - which makes me think the point is even stronger for people that only see Marvel and assume the same thing.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I really enjoyed this show. I completely agree with all the comments about inconsistent powers. But at a story level, it just didnt matter -- the story hooked me anyway; what a great villain and what a great dynamic between hero and villain.

Its funny how strongly it contrasts with Daredevil. These are two of the dumbest and least interesting superheroes ever created for comic books. Show me someone who claims to have been a daredevil fan from comics and I'll show you a liar. Both heroes are complete yawnfests on their own in the comics.

But JJ the show immediately hooked me and didnt let go. DD ... I tried, I really did. After five episodes I couldnt do it. Just not one interesting character on the whole show.

I am left truly puzzled why two shows so comparable in many ways prodcued such difference reactions. Even more so because I think most posters here had exactly the opposite reactions...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Because they're completely different types of shows. JJ isn't a stereotypical action packed comic book show like DD. That's why the retardedness of a lot of the fight scenes didn't bother me as much as others. It's just not what the show's about.

I also think it's best for them to not tie in to the rest of the Marvel Universe too much. It's hard enough to take a villain line Kingpin too seriously in a universe with Thor/Hulk/Iron man.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really enjoyed this show. I completely agree with all the comments about inconsistent powers. But at a story level, it just didnt matter -- the story hooked me anyway; what a great villain and what a great dynamic between hero and villain.

Its funny how strongly it contrasts with Daredevil. These are two of the dumbest and least interesting superheroes ever created for comic books. Show me someone who claims to have been a daredevil fan from comics and I'll show you a liar. Both heroes are complete yawnfests on their own in the comics.

But JJ the show immediately hooked me and didnt let go. DD ... I tried, I really did. After five episodes I couldnt do it. Just not one interesting character on the whole show.

I am left truly puzzled why two shows so comparable in many ways prodcued such difference reactions. Even more so because I think most posters here had exactly the opposite reactions...
I loved both shows equally.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I thought both shows did a good job of isolating each other from the larger MCU. Daredevil was a true origin story and Kingpin (at this point) is just a high level thug, conspirator, whatever. Never made any sense for Thor or Iron Man etc to care.

Jessica Jones along with Luke cage gave me a good sense of really being isolationists and purposefully disconnecting from the rest of the big picture bullshit. Consequences, guilt, PTSD, everything that could come from the mantle. Kilgore had a high body count but he was almost singularly focused on JJ and not taking over New York, the US or the world. No reason for any other supers to care.

It works in my head or at least is what I took away from them.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I still haven't watched Daredevil. If it's on par with this show I will have to give it a go once I get my queue cleared out.