Marvel's Jessica Jones

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They were trying to save his life. Which raises the question, why did nobody just say 'sorry but you would have died if we didnt put you through all that' and see what his response was?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't take shows seriously where a 90-pound anything has super strength and can forklift bad guys. That and the story was kinda lame.

Netflix knows how to showcase some interesting villains though. Two of them now where I could relate to the bad guy. His parents WERE shitheads.
Right, and it's totally believable that Superman can move an entire star system of planets, because he has really big muscles? Either way, the physics aren't right.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
Right, and it's totally believable that Superman can move an entire star system of planets, because he has really big muscles? Either way, the physics aren't right.
Actually I thought the action scenes in Superman (last one) were silly, and the whole premise of Superman kinda boring overall. I think the original source material hampers his character. Might be why I liked Daredevil and Batman so much: they're more grounded.

But in this case, I'm just referring to how tiny this particular woman is, not that women couldn't be badass superheros.....just that someone with arms the size of toothpicks with no musculature couldn't punch someone over a building. If they said "she uses mind bullets, Kyle" to explain it, that would be ok. A lot of movies do this though (Salt) but some do it right with the constraints (Mr. and Mrs. Smith).

Anyway, I'll watch season 2, but I didn't like this nearly as much as Daredevil.

Column_sl

shitlord
Well powers don't necessarily always have to do with physical strength. She flys also in the comics.

She could just be subconsciously manipulating everything around her.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Actually I thought the action scenes in Superman (last one) were silly, and the whole premise of Superman kinda boring overall. I think the original source material hampers his character. Might be why I liked Daredevil and Batman so much: they're more grounded.

But in this case, I'm just referring to how tiny this particular woman is, not that women couldn't be badass superheros.....just that someone with arms the size of toothpicks with no musculature couldn't punch someone over a building. If they said "she uses mind bullets, Kyle" to explain it, that would be ok. A lot of movies do this though (Salt) but some do it right with the constraints (Mr. and Mrs. Smith).
You were bothered in a super hero show because super powers were unrealistic. But only because a skinny person who can pick up cars is silly but someone slightly larger is cool? And that whatever "mind bullets" are would somehow be better?

You might be autistic.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
You were bothered in a super hero show because super powers were unrealistic. But only because a skinny person who can pick up cars is silly but someone slightly larger is cool? And that whatever "mind bullets" are would somehow be better?

You might be autistic.
Hehe

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jessica Jones has 12 inch arms, and she shouldn't be able to pick up cars. Supes has 22 inch arms and can move entire planets.

Makes perfect sense. I can see where one might find her scenario unrealistic.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord

You might be autistic.
I don't think you read what I actually said. Superman is as silly.

Anyway, mehish show.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Finally got around to finishing this show about a week ago and catching up on the thread. I'm surprised there are as many that liked DD more than this. I thought this was considerably better - inconsistent powers aside. Not to get all faggy SJW up in here, but I seriously think about half the people in this thread hating on the show are only doing so because the lead is a woman. Most of you even admitted the plot holes due "woman logic".

Devlin

Golden Squire
While the show wasn't terrible it dragged on far too long. I saw the director mention along the lines of making it a 13 hour movie and that is a fucking horrible idea for this type of show.

The Flash has a great balance in that regard, episodes have a monster of the week generally but there is also a season long story arc which moves forward on a weekly basis.

Nothing to do with her being a woman, the show needed more variety. It quickly became ridiculous with the scenarios he was getting one over her with.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dunno if its sexist to say the show was inconsistent because jessica was as strong as the hulk one minute then she is being flattened by fat hipster bitches with a 2x4 the next. it may be my patriarchy making me say that thats fucking stupid

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to finishing this show about a week ago and catching up on the thread. I'm surprised there are as many that liked DD more than this. I thought this was considerably better - inconsistent powers aside. Not to get all faggy SJW up in here, but I seriously think about half the people in this thread hating on the show are only doing so because the lead is a woman. Most of you even admitted the plot holes due "woman logic".
yeah but those plot holes were more like... the writers giving her woman logic, or something. DD didn't really suffer from that because his power set is very different from hers. But with JJ just seeing a superhero, regardless of gender, go from Hulk one moment to unable to take a punch the next, was jarring. And even then outside of the power level thing for as good a job they did as trying to portray someone suffering from PTSD they really crippled her decision making and consistency. The excuses were just left and right about why this, why that, we can't go stop him, oh no another 10 people died, but not yet! It was just absurd. For any main character.

I'd totally bone Krysten Ritter though. She was awesome on Don't Trust the B if no one ever watched that. It got really funny after the 1st few episodes.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't really see it as inconsistent.

Just because someone's strong, doesn't also make them able to feign off damage. Yes, she can lift up the back of a car. But no, she can not absorb a hit from a 2x4. These two things aren't linked together.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't really see it as inconsistent.

Just because someone's strong, doesn't also make them able to feign off damage. Yes, she can lift up the back of a car. But no, she can not absorb a hit from a 2x4. These two things aren't linked together.
I seem to recall her being fine brawling with Luke Cage and being hit by a van. Must have been a kryptonite 2x4.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's a little inconsistent, but not so out of line with comics. Super strength is almost always categorically nonsensical, you end up with shit like Superman's "aura" to try and explain it. It's certainly not inconsistent to the degree people act. A direct blow to the head is shown to be more damaging both to Jessica and Luke Cage.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
yeah but those plot holes were more like... the writers giving her woman logic, or something. DD didn't really suffer from that because his power set is very different from hers. But with JJ just seeing a superhero, regardless of gender, go from Hulk one moment to unable to take a punch the next, was jarring. And even then outside of the power level thing for as good a job they did as trying to portray someone suffering from PTSD they really crippled her decision making and consistency. The excuses were just left and right about why this, why that, we can't go stop him, oh no another 10 people died, but not yet! It was just absurd. For any main character.

I'd totally bone Krysten Ritter though. She was awesome on Don't Trust the B if no one ever watched that. It got really funny after the 1st few episodes.
She has super strength but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a glass jaw. It seemed pretty consistent that she as more of a glass cannon who could deliver a huge blow but couldn't take one back. It was Fury who seemed more capable of being on the receiving end.

But to Alex's point I just felt this show dragged more than DD. And I thought DD dragged. It was pretty painful getting through some of the mid-late episodes of this show because literally nothing was happening or at best they were just doing the same plot over and over. I also felt on the whole the characters in DD were more entertaining. Not only the MC but really the only interesting side character in this show to me was Nuke. But in DD I felt Foggy was an interesting character, smoking hot red head was an interesting character and DD's love interest (as you can tell I'm great with names) were all interesting.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
She has super strength but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a glass jaw.It seemed pretty consistent that she as more of a glass cannonwho could deliver a huge blow but couldn't take one back.
Not quite. It was well established that while not bulletproof, she was pretty damn damage resistant. She takes hits from drugged up supercop, Luke Cage and a fucking van.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not quite. It was well established that while not bulletproof, she was pretty damn damage resistant. She takes hits from drugged up supercop, Luke Cage and a fucking van.
dont forget she can leap into the air and land on her feet which puts holes in the fucking ground, but shes very sensitive on the back of her head to simple 2x4s