Marvel's The Punisher

Haus

<Silver Donator>
There's a chance the Punisher might survive the Netflix MU purge only in that it's too mature for Disney's tastes, but it's a slim one at that.

All of them are "too mature" for Disney's streaming service they're launching. So I don't think that should give us much hope. They just want to own all their IP again. I don't forsee any of the Defender's style show heroes to show back up in their current forms. Only as possibly very watered down side characters in the movies.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The Punisher is probably the only of the shows I would miss.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
All of them are "too mature" for Disney's streaming service they're launching. So I don't think that should give us much hope. They just want to own all their IP again. I don't forsee any of the Defender's style show heroes to show back up in their current forms. Only as possibly very watered down side characters in the movies.

Apparently Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones aren't available to be used by Marvel til 2 years after their cancellation. Netflix has the rights to the shows themselves for like another 6 years. So they won't even be on the Disney service for awhile. This is the end of these current characters and actors. They can't even say take Charlie Cox and have him as Daredevil in a movie unless they get Netflix approval. Punisher has a different deal, I have no idea what that one is since it was made after the originals.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

The Punisher is a dude that straight-up murders people. You can't disneyfy that without losing everything about the character that works. The rest are just martial arts superheroes that punch the bad guys.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The Punisher is a dude that straight-up murders people. You can't disneyfy that without losing everything about the character that works. The rest are just martial arts superheroes that punch the bad guys.

One of the key aspects of Jessica Jones that makes her character interesting is that she's a raging alcoholic.
Luke Cage fighting gangsters who don't have lethal force would be nonsense....
I'll give that you could PG-13 Danny Rand all the hell up though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One of the key aspects of Jessica Jones that makes her character interesting is that she's a raging alcoholic.
Luke Cage fighting gangsters who don't have lethal force would be nonsense....
I'll give that you could PG-13 Danny Rand all the hell up though.

Jessica doesn't need to be an alcoholic to maintain the core of her character. If anything, the Netflix version plays it off like it has little to no effect on her anyway, and she only drinks as much as she does to get buzzed as that's all she can manage (similar to Wolverine)

The Cage bit doesn't apply because it has nothing to do with his character, and the rest of the setting can easily be softened to match the lack of real danger he faces.

Literally nobody cares about Iron Fist, so I don't think it matters, and it's already PG-13 anyway regardless of Netflix's inaccurate rating.

Even if they completely changed Punisher to fit them, they probably wouldn't want to have him front-and-center anyway as pushing him as a property is also endorsing his other works which has him as a psychotic serial killer. These aren't one-off things, it's pervasive across the majority of stuff based on him.

Do you think Disney moms are going to want little Jimmy watching PG13 Punisher and then going and getting his hands on something like this?:

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

iannis

Musty Nester
Well........

we'll see. I liked s1 a lot. And I really don't like the Netflix superhero stuff. Jj looks good on paper, but in practice I kept looking away from it. I don't dislike it on principle, I give them a shot. Just usually wander away by the second or third episode because ehh.

punishe r grabbed me though and I watched them all.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
get woke, go broke

I knew it, this show was cucked before it even aired, I guess the producer played too much Far cry 5. Might as well add in a former member of the Islamic State or Tahiri Al Sham as Frank's partner, I'm sure they'll have a sob story about why he joined those terrorist groups regarding muh racism and shit.

• 4Salty
  • 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Given that Netflix originally had to divide its villain archetypes (ninjas, evil cooperations, drug empires) between different shows and is targeting the Progressive Left with its programming there aren’t too many option for a villain or organization that will be cheered upon by the desired audience.

Punisher is a white male killing bad guys. That’s problematic enough to begin with and unless Netflix is willing to give the Left the cold shoulder and make their Punisher be The Punisher 💀 then we are getting a watered down version where white males are the only safe targets to kill en masse.

He will beat up coloured drug dealers and criminals, but killing them will be kept to minimum unless they shoot first. White males though, expect a few stylized cold blooded murders and executions (quip optional).

Then again, I could be wrong.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't really care who he is killing as long as the guy is a scumbag and it's well done.

If he starts shooting people for micro aggressions then ill check out.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't really care who he is killing as long as the guy is a scumbag and it's well done.

If he starts shooting people for micro aggressions then ill check out.

That would be comedic gold.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny that someone mentioned FC5 because lots of people assumed Ubisoft was making a left-wing murder simulator, but then the game actually came out and was relatively neutral politically.

The actor described the villain he's playing as a Christian Fundie, but the "alt-right" tag seems to have been tossed on by the media, not the actor or the director of the series. He's also going to be sharing screentime with Jigsaw.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's funny that someone mentioned FC5 because lots of people assumed Ubisoft was making a left-wing murder simulator, but then the game actually came out and was relatively neutral politically.

The outrage because they dared include a conservative who wasn't a villain was hilarious

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
That would be comedic gold.

It kinda would. He's shoot everyone. And it would be funny.

Which, though i've never read the comic book, seems to be the point of comic book punisher. Dude just murdersplats.

Cybsled

Wasn't there a Punisher comic story where he literally was trying to murder people for trivial crimes, like jaywalking?