Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Huh.

Welp. Today I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to go on over to GAF. Only to find out that it's been shut down. It's in a state of flux, but I think it's gonna take a nosedive. It's all over sexual assault allegations from somebody against the site's owner, Evilore. A ton of mods up and walked.

NeoGAF goes down after sexual harassment allegations prompt admin/moderator exodus

At any rate, one of the stories pointed out that Waypoint was a stopgap forum for GAF'ers. So, I'm reading this forum... And I come across this interview with DUN DUN DUUUUUUN.... Manveer Heir.

We Talk EA Woes, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Race, and Sexism with Manveer Heir

He claims to responsible for all of the parts of the game that were reviewed okay. The combat being chief among them.

EDIT : He also claims that ME3MP loot boxes are the reason that EA is putting MP in games that don't usually have MP. And then he goes into full SJW mode about 20 minutes in.

x5ynn7h.jpg

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something I forgot to mention that has really started to piss me off, not just in this game, but something that seems to have become a trend in all of these games with branching dialogue options, when the text prompt that you are given is absolutely nothing like what your character actually winds up saying. I get that you have to give a snippet or blurb to get the gyst across, but this game in particular, was so bad in multiple places with this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

With exception to Casey Hudson, listening to a lot of these guys reminds me of bad interviews with dudes who clearly road the coattails of everyone around them. In this case they rode Drew Karpyshyn's coattails.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So, I started playing this in the lull between game releases since it was on EA access, and it's not all bad. The good parts are the settings, vistas if you will, and the combat. If it wasn't for how much fun the combat is and how cool the settings look I wouldn't have gotten very far. The bad parts are the character animations and the writing. I'm only 3/4's the way through the game, but I think that's enough to do a decent review. Not that anyone cares at this point.

Writing:
The thing I keep asking myself is why they moved to Andromeda if these are the stories they're going to tell? It's a complete waste of the setting. Even the big bad is just a knock off of the reapers. It's like someone had a cool idea how make a new Mass Effect game that gets away from Shepherd and the Reapers, then they passed that idea off to some incompetent writers who could only copy themes from the original Mass Effect. A complete waste of the new galaxy setting. Last night I was doing quests out of a bar that's just like Afterlife, doing the same kinda quests. We're in a new galaxy, doing the same shit. Why bother with the new galaxy at all?
And The stories around the new species are a hodgepodge of nonesense. They're supposed to be a species war weary resistance fighters, on the edge, fighting a brutal war with the bad guys, but too many of the stories are generic BS that doesn't make any sense. Also, They're so ugly it's distracting.

I played as derpface and her responses to a lot the things in the game don't make any sense. And there's absolutely no nuance in the choices. For instance you have to decide on the fate of a guy who was charged with murder, but he didn't actually commit murder because the guy he was trying to kill was killed by someone else a few seconds before he could kill him. So, the guy is innocent, and your chose is to let him free because he's innocent or wrongly exlie him. These writers apparently don't know anything about attempted murder being a crime, or malicious intent in general. Everything is black and white with no grey areas. These people are supposed to be on the edge of exploration, on their own. And they're acting like it's business as usual at the Citadel. The people who wrote this game are inexperienced or just bad writers.

Characters:

The character stories have ranged from almost good to disappointing. The Turian(Vetra) and the Krogan(Drack) are the best companions by far. Cora is an asari wanna be. Liam is your generic white dudebro character, but in this game he's black, so score one for being progressive. Peebee, is actually not as annoying as the trailer made her out to be, but she's pretty obnoxious. I will say that she's much better than her Dragon Age Inquisition equivalent Sara. And finally, Jaal is just boring. The companion quests are entirely forgettable.

Character Models and Movement:
The models are pretty bad. They never fixed botox face, and talking to her is unintentionally hilarious. The worst of it is the new species, the angaran. They look like cross between a twi'lek from star wars and a goat that should have been aborted. The orignal trilogy game and unique and interesting races, and this is the freakshow they create for the new game.

1522770852800.png

Vistas:
They're amazing. It's everything I'd want from a space scifi game.

Combat:
It's the same as previous games only with a vertical and side jet pack thrust, which is really fun. Playing a biotic space wizard is as OP in this game as it is in the previous game.

Final verdict is a 3/5. The gameplay and vistas carry the game. If you're the type to skip cutscenes and story you might enjoy this game, and it's free with EA access right now.

• 2Like
  • 1Haram
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, I started playing this in the lull between game releases since it was on EA access, and it's not all bad. The good parts are the settings, vistas if you will, and the combat. If it wasn't for how much fun the combat is and how cool the settings look I wouldn't have gotten very far. The bad parts are the character animations and the writing. I'm only 3/4's the way through the game, but I think that's enough to do a decent review. Not that anyone cares at this point.

Writing:
The thing I keep asking myself is why they moved to Andromeda if these are the stories they're going to tell? It's a complete waste of the setting. Even the big bad is just a knock off of the reapers. It's like someone had a cool idea how make a new Mass Effect game that gets away from Shepherd and the Reapers, then they passed that idea off to some incompetent writers who could only copy themes from the original Mass Effect. A complete waste of the new galaxy setting. Last night I was doing quests out of a bar that's just like Afterlife, doing the same kinda quests. We're in a new galaxy, doing the same shit. Why bother with the new galaxy at all?
And The stories around the new species are a hodgepodge of nonesense. They're supposed to be a species war weary resistance fighters, on the edge, fighting a brutal war with the bad guys, but too many of the stories are generic BS that doesn't make any sense. Also, They're so ugly it's distracting.

I played as derpface and her responses to a lot the things in the game don't make any sense. And there's absolutely no nuance in the choices. For instance you have to decide on the fate of a guy who was charged with murder, but he didn't actually commit murder because the guy he was trying to kill was killed by someone else a few seconds before he could kill him. So, the guy is innocent, and your chose is to let him free because he's innocent or wrongly exlie him. These writers apparently don't know anything about attempted murder being a crime, or malicious intent in general. Everything is black and white with no grey areas. These people are supposed to be on the edge of exploration, on their own. And they're acting like it's business as usual at the Citadel. The people who wrote this game are inexperienced or just bad writers.

Characters:

The character stories have ranged from almost good to disappointing. The Turian(Vetra) and the Krogan(Drack) are the best companions by far. Cora is an asari wanna be. Liam is your generic white dudebro character, but in this game he's black, so score one for being progressive. Peebee, is actually not as annoying as the trailer made her out to be, but she's pretty obnoxious. I will say that she's much better than her Dragon Age Inquisition equivalent Sara. And finally, Jaal is just boring. The companion quests are entirely forgettable.

Character Models and Movement:
The models are pretty bad. They never fixed botox face, and talking to her is unintentionally hilarious. The worst of it is the new species, the angaran. They look like cross between a twi'lek from star wars and a goat that should have been aborted. The orignal trilogy game and unique and interesting races, and this is the freakshow they create for the new game.

Vistas:
They're amazing. It's everything I'd want from a space scifi game.

Combat:
It's the same as previous games only with a vertical and side jet pack thrust, which is really fun. Playing a biotic space wizard is as OP in this game as it is in the previous game.

Final verdict is a 3/5. The gameplay and vistas carry the game. If you're the type to skip cutscenes and story you might enjoy this game, and it's free with EA access right now.

This game is garbage and I hope you make an enemy of the Clinton family.

• 8Worf
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 11 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Mass Effect Andromeda: It had good skyboxes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something I forgot to mention that has really started to piss me off, not just in this game, but something that seems to have become a trend in all of these games with branching dialogue options, when the text prompt that you are given is absolutely nothing like what your character actually winds up saying. I get that you have to give a snippet or blurb to get the gyst across, but this game in particular, was so bad in multiple places with this.

Yes andromeda had this issue and a lot of games are doing it as well. You just wind up riffing in some totally different direction than you wanted the conversation to go. In the previous games the renegade/paragon tracks gave you at least a bit better feel of how they would likely answer. Generally still very different but you knew renegade was always human first space jack ass type response when paragon was generally goody goody love all races type responses.

spronk

FPS noob
convo option: Your eyes are beautiful, I could drown happily in their depths
what Ryder actually says: Please fuck me in the ass daddy

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Convo option: "Not sure if that is such a good idea, but I am willing to try"
Ryder: "LETS DO THIS!" (Jesus. I heard "Let's do this" about 56 times on the 1st planet alone. Right before I returned it back to gamefly)

I wouldn't even buy this on sale for 9 bucks a while back.

Or this one:

Convo option: "I don't think this is a way to go about negotiating"
Ryder: "We need to be inclusive and understand how this will be reacted to in their safe space"

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Been replaying ME2. Was surprised I had almost a thousand hours between all 3 games tho I do have a tendency to walk away with it on.

Then I saw mass effect andromeda which I thought I had refunded. 14 minutes played. It can be summed up easily: They listened very carefully to every complaint about ME3 and said “Our players are wrong”. Then they double downed.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They even have the balls to up the price from 7.99 usual sale to $12.99. That is hilarious.

I wouldn't even buy this for the last 6 months when it was priced at 7 bucks.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not even sure I'd install ME:A if it came with PS+/GWG.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity