Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Andromeda Deluxe Edition is on sale for Xbox One and PS4 at $22 on Amazon. The game is entertaining enough to warrant picking up at that price point.

No. It's not. I wouldn't install this game if it were free, ever again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sulrn

Deuces
Killing a franchise from poor leadership / design choices is never worth supporting for any price point.

Buying this game (even at discount) is how you get accountants making decisions instead of devs.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I very rarely regret buying games. I even bought No Mans Sky at launch and didn't refund it. Result after playing it for a bit and realizing that it wasn't the game it was supposed to be is that I will never again buy a game from those developers without reviews from a community I trust (not video game journalists). That said, I still don't regret it. I might try it again eventually just to do some mindless exploration.

However, ME:A I do regret buying. No Mans Sky I can somewhat forgive from being an indie game from a studio with little to no reputation. They marketed it with AAA features and close to sold it at an AAA price point. So you got scammed so to speak from an unknown party. Took a risk with a pre-order and got burned. Can deal with that.

With ME:A though, it not only marketed itself as an AAA, but was from a supposed AAA stuido with an AAA publisher from an AAA franchise. Marketing budget for ME:A was probably larger than the total budget of No Mans Sky. The level of "WTF is this shit" is FAR larger with ME:A than No Mans Sky.

Actually trying to think about it, I'd have to go back to Daikatana in the 90s for a bigger fail in terms of the actual product and the hype and "supposed" team behind it. Granted we all know now that ME:A was created by a C or D squad, but marketing up to it was a BioWare game expanding on a franchise with massive potential. Considering that potential, the fail on so many aspects of this game is staggering.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Not sure if anybody saw this, came across my facebook feed.

Mass Effect Trilogy -Bioware

Not sure if that's gonna work, but they seemed to drag out all the VA that mattered to people and I'm sure that they paid them too. They had to. They just absolutely had to. I mean, one could argue that they recorded this a long time ago, but with the Vorcha saying at the end "Winner winner Chicken Dinner" and PUBG being so popular right now, I'm gonna go ahead and say that this was just recorded.

Sulrn

Deuces
For levity:
i-z7sGPMj-2100x20000.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Why did I know that was going to be either Polygon or Kotaku before I clicked the link...

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hell this would make a better ME game than Andromeda.

I started with ME 2 a while back and I was looking forward to this... Until I read the reviews. I saw the footage. It is a pity we have gone to digital distribution, otherwise EA could have pulled an ATARI and buried the CDs like they were ET.

Speaking of which, I think the ET game is still in my parents attic along with the atari 2600.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Huh.

Welp. Today I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to go on over to GAF. Only to find out that it's been shut down. It's in a state of flux, but I think it's gonna take a nosedive. It's all over sexual assault allegations from somebody against the site's owner, Evilore. A ton of mods up and walked.

NeoGAF goes down after sexual harassment allegations prompt admin/moderator exodus

At any rate, one of the stories pointed out that Waypoint was a stopgap forum for GAF'ers. So, I'm reading this forum... And I come across this interview with DUN DUN DUUUUUUN.... Manveer Heir.

We Talk EA Woes, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Race, and Sexism with Manveer Heir

He claims to responsible for all of the parts of the game that were reviewed okay. The combat being chief among them.

EDIT : He also claims that ME3MP loot boxes are the reason that EA is putting MP in games that don't usually have MP. And then he goes into full SJW mode about 20 minutes in.

Last edited:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Picked this up on sale awhile ago, had a $20 dollar PS4 gift card, so essentially got it for $10 bucks. As much as I like the first three, I figured I could get my money back out of it. I had been extremely excited about this game, up until reviews started coming out of course, so I had mixed feelings going in, especially after reading this thread. That all being said, I have to say I enjoyed the game, very much in spite of its numerous issues. Combat was okay, I enjoyed playing around with different specs, the weapon system grabbed me at first but needs work in a few key areas, I enjoyed a fair amount of the cliche cheesetastic story throughout the game up until the ending. I mean in a lot of ways the game is Dragon Age Inquisition in space, and if they hadn't dropped the ball so horribly on animations, movement, and a lot of key immersion elements, it could have been a really good game. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone purchase it based off the Mass Effect name, it is thematically different to a T. The game has its dark moments, but overall there are very few "renegade" options, and you pretty much play the hero to save the day, with a mostly happy ending for everyone... So not anything like the originals. I actually think I would have been more forgiving of a lot of the issues, if it had been a new random space adventure IP, instead of being lumped in with the Mass Effect franchise. Multiplayer is mindless horde mode, but kind of fun, minus the microtransaction aids. I put a little over 100 hours into the game and enjoyed it for the most part as a typical campy linear RPG. AAA it is not. Polished, even with the big patch, it is not. Hammy, cheesy, at times disturbingly broken in randomly funny ways, it very much is. If the game was better or not Mass Effect, I'd be upset they weren't making DLC. Honestly the thing that pisses me off the most about this game, is that they besmirched the Mass Effect name by releasing it in this state. Andromeda 2 is unlikely, which is somewhat irritating because I did enjoy some of the characters, and world building, but the fact that this game could mean a long hiatus for any kind of new Mass Effect, steams me big time. I feel bad for the people that worked on this game, and made what good things are there, only to be rewarded with what it ultimately became.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user