Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Palum

what Suineg set it to
To be fair, I'm not sure how any 'ending' could really satisfy after the way they built up the story, though. Either it was just a repeat of ME1 with more stuff'n'things'n'explosions or it would be some meta bullshit involving time dilation, time travel, alternate universes, some copy of the Deus Ex endings or an actual Deus Ex Machina like the Protheans coming back to fight the Reapers or something shitty.

They wrote a comic-book and half the people would be disappointed if it was just 'splosions, the other half would be disappointed if they did the derpy reset button endings. Doesn't excuse the poor writing, but from story perspective the second they left ME1/ME2 territory and actually dealt with 'ending' the series, they were fucked either way.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
The improvements really didn't change all that much - it was a let down after a great game series for an ending, but yea, most of the hate was hyperbole - any normal game vs. one so loved wouldn't have even caused a blip.
Gotcha. I actually put off playing ME3 because i adored 1 and 2... best story in pretty much any RPG for me and I didn't want the experience ruined. If anything, i thought the 3rd game felt short in duration although not sure how many hours i put in.

But i thought it was a solid ending...

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The improvements really didn't change all that much - it was a let down after a great game series for an ending, but yea, most of the hate was hyperbole - any normal game vs. one so loved wouldn't have even caused a blip.
They didn't change much, but they showed a lot more and offered a lot more in terms of resolution.

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut - Mass Effect Wiki - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, walkthroughs and more.

As far as I'm aware the original endings didn't actually show you what happened beyond broad overview clips...it was really barren, and people were pretty outraged due to it feeling half assed. (Beyond just the simplistic nature of the final choice.) Really felt "not done", compared to other endings.

That said, the final choice itself was also pretty lacking. The whole ending, being some essential control for the Reapers, was contrived. In my opinion, I think, a more satisfying ending if the third game would have been about reverse engineering Collector and Reaper tech from the Reaper Base/Sovereign and upgrading the massive fleet with it. Storyline should have taken long narrative leaps and be told over a period of a decade. With the final show down not being some silver bullet, but rather showing this was the first time in X cycles where 1.) The races of the Galaxy kept the Relays, and thus could unify/move, in addition, thanks to the Protheans, they had developed their own relays. 2.) This cycles inhabitants had time to reverse engineer weapons from the Reapers, thanks to the Protheans screwing up the cycle, and making Sovreign fail (Giving the Galaxy access to his Technology; not to mention extra boosts in tech from the Prothean sleeper world, such as their own Relay system).

They could have made a pretty plausible ending, given the story thus far, without needing the "discovered this ultimate control!" I mean, there was plenty of lore in ME2 showing the Reapers won mainly because of they divided the Galaxy; even mentioning it took decades to siege some of the stronger Prothean star systems. Really thought that was the direction they were taking it all. (In addition to finding the Reaper creators in the DLC of 2)...The ending they chose just felt, kind of like they wanted a clean ending without building on the narrative they had in place--but even that would have been acceptable if they would have fleshed it out like they have since done with the DLC.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
The original ending was very very half-assed. It was a 15 minute ending when it could have easily been up to an hour (proportional to the length of the game).

I did not mind the "we found the controlling AI" bit of the ending, but I did not like that stupid kid. In my ideal ending, you are presented with three choices (again): destroy the reapers, dominate the reapers and control their technology, or disassemble the reapers- make each reaper resurrect the civilization it absorbed. In the disassembly ending, you would have directly been responsible for the restoration of species like the Protheans or the Leviathans, but you would also be resurrecting potential enemies (we saw that protheans were kind of dicks).

In my ending, the assets from the war table and your choices in the three games would have been key to unlocking different endings. Imagine a trial with Harbinger bringing up all the choices you made while you have to defend them. Maybe you tricked the Krogan and kept the genophage- you might be judged as only having a choice between destroy and dominate. If you managed to make peace between the Quarian and Geth, maybe you get to choose the disassembly option. Hopefully it wouldn't be so two-sided as "renegade and paragon," but that would have been my idea.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am going to agree with Lithose. The extended cut with the Citadel DLC (Lesser extent Leviathan) made it alot better for me. It is still a great game minus Kai Leng and original ending.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They wrote a comic-book and half the people would be disappointed if it was just 'splosions, the other half would be disappointed if they did the derpy reset button endings. Doesn't excuse the poor writing, but from story perspective the second they left ME1/ME2 territory and actually dealt with 'ending' the series, they were fucked either way.
Basically how I felt about it - I wasn't HAPPY with the ending - but I knew I wouldn't be, no matter how much the ending "worked properly" it still was going to be a bittersweet farewell to stories made with many "friends" over that 200+ hr saga. [Actually probably into 500+ hr territory thanks to the time needed to platinum especially in ME1]

I do agree the last 15 min were an unfun experience (hell, just taking the damn limp and shitty aim off the ending crap would've improved it by making it less tedious) - and the "this happened here" stuff that the Extended Cut added were nice - but I really don't consider that the "ending" that's more like prologue - the ending as in the end parts that you actually control and play as a game didn't really change substantially.

(And to clarify my hyperbole comment - I meant that in regards to the ending ruining the entire game [or even series] as some people have stated as the hyperbole - the ending was terrible, but it doesn't whitewash a game that's a 10/10 if you fast forward past the Kai Leng banter)

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The original ending was very very half-assed. It was a 15 minute ending when it could have easily been up to an hour (proportional to the length of the game).
"It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C" Casey Hudson, director of ME3.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They didn't change much, but they showed a lot more and offered a lot more in terms of resolution.

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut - Mass Effect Wiki - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, walkthroughs and more.

As far as I'm aware the original endings didn't actually show you what happened beyond broad overview clips...it was really barren, and people were pretty outraged due to it feeling half assed. (Beyond just the simplistic nature of the final choice.) Really felt "not done", compared to other endings.

That said, the final choice itself was also pretty lacking. The whole ending, being some essential control for the Reapers, was contrived. In my opinion, I think, a more satisfying ending if the third game would have been about reverse engineering Collector and Reaper tech from the Reaper Base/Sovereign and upgrading the massive fleet with it. Storyline should have taken long narrative leaps and be told over a period of a decade. With the final show down not being some silver bullet, but rather showing this was the first time in X cycles where 1.) The races of the Galaxy kept the Relays, and thus could unify/move, in addition, thanks to the Protheans, they had developed their own relays. 2.) This cycles inhabitants had time to reverse engineer weapons from the Reapers, thanks to the Protheans screwing up the cycle, and making Sovreign fail (Giving the Galaxy access to his Technology; not to mention extra boosts in tech from the Prothean sleeper world, such as their own Relay system).

They could have made a pretty plausible ending, given the story thus far, without needing the "discovered this ultimate control!" I mean, there was plenty of lore in ME2 showing the Reapers won mainly because of they divided the Galaxy; even mentioning it took decades to siege some of the stronger Prothean star systems. Really thought that was the direction they were taking it all. (In addition to finding the Reaper creators in the DLC of 2)...The ending they chose just felt, kind of like they wanted a clean ending without building on the narrative they had in place--but even that would have been acceptable if they would have fleshed it out like they have since done with the DLC.
Yep, that's what I figured they'd do too, since they seemed to be going that route with the 'war readiness level' throughout the game that was heavily tied to your choices. It just kind of collapsed at the end into the star child.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What pissed me off was that the ending seemed like it was made for a completely different game. You're told that The Reapers are there as a protective measure because organics will always create AI that will rise up and destroy them. Except that was only touched on as side stories with the geth and EDI which actually showed theycouldco-exist.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Face it, the ending sucked

People who think the ending "wasn't that bad" are deluding themselves, engaging in willful ignorance, or didn't play ME3 untilafterBioware did their absolute best to "repair" the original ending we were given with DLC. The above link does a great job in explaining that it goes way beyond just "red, green, blue".

Sulrn

Deuces
rrr_img_111431.jpg

Hate the travesty as much as anyone, butyou gotta let it go.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The problem is people keep coming in and saying oh well it wasn't that bad. The game was bad.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The game was awesome, the multiplayer alone made it great. Being buttmad and letting a 10 minute ending ruin a trilogy for you is silly.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The game was awesome, the multiplayer alone made it great. Being buttmad and letting a 10 minute ending ruin a trilogy for you is silly.
The fact that a 10 minute ending can ruin a three game, dozens of hour epic is the entire problem. It was so bad and such a let down that that 10 minutes left a giant shit stain on the memory of what otherwise would have been a good series.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The fact that a 10 minute ending can ruin a three game, dozens of hour epic is the entire problem. It was so bad and such a let down that that 10 minutes left a giant shit stain on the memory of what otherwise would have been a good series.
Nah, at that point it is on you. Especially after they put out the extended cut.