Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
ive enjoyed it 1 hr in. Its not awesome but its not god awful. Might end up bad I dunno.

Vaclav

Then I think you played a different ME trilogy than the rest of us here.

I can agree with both of you in a way. When it comes to most of the overarching stuff, it's different - Star Wars (ME 1-3) vs. Star Trek style (ME:A). But at the same time, the play is similar, progress is similar - only thing that's gone is the linearity more in line with ME1. (Which isn't a bad thing to lose)

I've actually been wondering how many ME1-3 fans that hate ME:A were fans of JUST Star Wars and couldn't stand Star Trek - I myself liked both and from the friends I've seen also enjoying it they've been fans of both as well, not just Star Wars.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bioware games are day 1 purchase for me still, and this is gonna be another one.
smile.png

Lol

xzi

Mouthbreather
People are saying the game doesn't really pick up until 5-6+ hours in and that seems questionable? Is that actually true? That's a long time to not make a great impression.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
I give books 1 chapter and games 1 hour to catch my attention. If they can't do that then they weren't trying hard enough and the creators need to skill up.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

nu_11

People are saying the game doesn't really pick up until 5-6+ hours in and that seems questionable? Is that actually true? That's a long time to not make a great impression.

I don't give a fuck at how gamers rationalize shitty games. They always say shit like this, cause they're simps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I can agree with both of you in a way. When it comes to most of the overarching stuff, it's different - Star Wars (ME 1-3) vs. Star Trek style (ME:A). But at the same time, the play is similar, progress is similar - only thing that's gone is the linearity more in line with ME1. (Which isn't a bad thing to lose)

I've actually been wondering how many ME1-3 fans that hate ME:A were fans of JUST Star Wars and couldn't stand Star Trek - I myself liked both and from the friends I've seen also enjoying it they've been fans of both as well, not just Star Wars.
Are you retarded? People hate this game because it's a cesspool of SJW faggotry. Nothjng to do with your dumb fuck Star Trek analogy. If you haven't been paying attention, people here will spend days on end bitching about SJW bullshit regardless of whether or not it has any impact on their lives. This game could have been FF7 level good and people would have bitched about it. The fact that it sucks dick means people will be piling on and mocking it for years to come.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Are you retarded? People hate this game because it's a cesspool of SJW faggotry. Nothjng to do with your dumb fuck Star Trek analogy. If you haven't been paying attention, people here will spend days on end bitching about SJW bullshit regardless of whether or not it has any impact on their lives. This game could have been FF7 level good and people would have bitched about it. The fact that it sucks dick means people will be piling on and mocking it for years to come.

Except there really isn't much SJW shit. I don't go looking for it, and I've noticed none thusfar besides aliens that "look weird" (which is kind of a Star Trek thing, FYI - so many "faggy" looking races in Star Trek outside of DS9)

Yea, people here will kneejerk over it and go hunting for it. But it's not there and in your face. And regardless I was referring to the review world as a whole - not the rabid like we've got around here mostly.

• 2SJW
  • 2Smuggly
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Combat is fun and the story is okay. Quit whining like a bunch of pussies.

• 2Salty
  • 1Smuggly

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was IMing Qhue on PS4. I'm curious what he has to say after playing passed the Xbox one trial I played where I decided a hard no.

That will decide if I get it on sale for 10 bucks in three years when I am bored out of my mind. Used as well. I don't want these idiots at EA Bioware to see a dime of royalties.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I didn't think the game picked up by the end of the trial myself. And if a game takes 6+ hours to "pick up", you done fucked up. And to be frank, I don't think the combat was particularly amazing. The jumps and dashes added to it, but the combat lacks impact compared to 2, and especially 3. Plus a meh cover system

I've been watching some streams. And you know what? I see a distinct lack of something. Fun. There's this tired doggedness that keeps some playing. There's this constant stream of apologetics and attempted rationalizations for how things are. Every time I watch someone get into it, something comes up. Some bug, some UI element, or questionable systems decision by the devs and it looks like it becomes more a chore than a passion. I'm not a huge angry joe fan, but his stream was the shining example of this. They were slogging through that ice planet, confused on where to go, looking tired and kinda defeated. Trying to do the above, but halfheartedly because fun had left the building and everyone knew it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

norp

Bronze Squire
I also feel like people are irrationally defending this fucking game. I don't even hate it because of the SJW stuff, the animations and ridiculous lines/story are what sour the damn thing. How can an original trilogy fan not be appalled by this shit. Think about the awesome moments with Garrus, etc and imagine if in the cut-scenes they looked like googly-eyed retards and spouted off shitty lines. I mean the original games aren't perfect but I never once thought they had a moment as bad as the first hour of ME:A I played.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Combat is fun and the story is okay. Quit whining like a bunch of pussies.

Combat is good for a ME game, which means it's average at best. The story is hot garbage, unless you are a pre-teen. Either way, you have shit taste.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I didn't think the game picked up by the end of the trial myself. And if a game takes 6+ hours to "pick up", you done fucked up. And to be frank, I don't think the combat was particularly amazing. The jumps and dashes added to it, but the combat lacks impact compared to 2, and especially 3. Plus a meh cover system

I've been watching some streams. And you know what? I see a distinct lack of something. Fun. There's this tired doggedness that keeps some playing. There's this constant stream of apologetics and attempted rationalizations for how things are. Every time I watch someone get into it, something comes up. Some bug, some UI element, or questionable systems decision by the devs and it looks like it becomes more a chore than a passion. I'm not a huge angry joe fan, but his stream was the shining example of this. They were slogging through that ice planet, confused on where to go, looking tired and kinda defeated. Trying to do the above, but halfheartedly because fun had left the building and everyone knew it.

I personally can't wait to hear his angry rant about how BioWare done fucked it up. With his Commander EA character, he doesn't even have to touch micro-transactions. Maybe they'll start listening to people like him rather than people with 10-20K subscribers.

I've picked up the game, I am about 6 hours into it, and this is where it completely falls on it's face, IMO. This game doesn't feel like ME1 all over again. It feels like ME4 raped ME1, because SAM is always there in your head telling you where you are. There is no exploration in this game. There's no, "Hey, I'm gonna go over there and check this out." Nono, reaper-like SAM is always there watching you rub one out. And more than willing to add his two cents on the matter.

Too many things to read, too much nothingness to acquire. It all feels very same-y. I've said this over on BSN, that it feels like the writers of the original trilogy started with an idea, and then slid parts around that idea to make it fit. Jenkins getting killed to Ashley joining the squad, to Liara joining to killing her mom. Up until now, the game is a little better than average, not great. Then you have Virmire, and shit just got real. You had us all hooked as soon as you presented that choice.

Then, moving on to ME2... It felt like a fucking achievement gaining the loyalty of all those people for the suicide mission. If you didn't get to that point, the characters that you didn't have the loyalty for died.

ME:A just feels different, as if they were trying to build it from the outside in. Stodgily putting blocks together. Hoping and grasping for some kind of idea, but it just never came.

It just feels like BioWare either has writers that are good at writing nothing, or worse is forcing them to become good at writing nothing.