Matrix prequel trilogy in the works for 2017

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
That's usually the problem with prequels. A lot of the drama is immediately sucked out of them by knowing the ending before going into it. The peril Obi Wan and Anakin were put into in the prequels were immediately nullified since we knew they'd make it out alive.
You can say that about any historical movies as well, but the ending being public knowledge doesn't stop a story or movie from being good as there is lots to be sure you're invested in the people involved and then how it finally ends as well.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The first was a sic-fi masterpiece, the second and third were giant money grab turds. Sorry, but this is just a shameless get for cash after their last few projects took massive dumps at the box office. I suspect Watchowski is a pen name for Shyamalan at this point.
this x1000. first one was awesome, second two were fucking train wrecks. hell, the third one finished behind elf opening weekend.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They already made a few prequels to the matrix dealing with the machines taking over humanity.... The Terminator franchise! Dun dun dunnnnn!!!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You can say that about any historical movies as well, but the ending being public knowledge doesn't stop a story or movie from being good as there is lots to be sure you're invested in the people involved and then how it finally ends as well.
It's not the same thing. Prequels in fiction are trying to fit into a made-up story that was maybe never planned to have a fully fleshed out beginning. John Carpenter's The Thing is amazing. The prequel is shit. Part of the reason it is shit is because it has fit into the set pieces from the Norwegian camp that we saw in the original film. It's inorganic.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have so much hope but I know they'll fuck it up. Matrix blew my 17 year old mind.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Matrix Reloaded is NOT bad, i dunno why people keep putting that movie down, i have to defend it in every thread its mentioned. Matrix Reloaded had a better soundtrack than the original, had more elaborate and interesting fight/action scenes, it had Monica Bellucci who is hot as fuck. and it had an awesome ending. the problem is the last film sucked so bad it tainted the second one. they should skip this prequel shit and just say that Cloud Atlas was the prequel and work on some other bad idea. im sure Phillip K Dick has a story they could steal that not many will notice.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The first was a sic-fi masterpiece, the second and third were giant money grab turds. Sorry, but this is just a shameless get for cash after their last few projects took massive dumps at the box office. I suspect Watchowski is a pen name for Shyamalan at this point.
they don't even try to hide it anymore....The idea of rebooting the franchise with a prequel trilogy is apparently being motivated by the fact that Warner Bros has no other franchises t compete with the likes of Star Wars and Marvel. While Batman vs. Superman is looking to be that franchise for Warners, the saying is 'the more, the merrier' and Warner Bros wants to be able to compete with multiple franchises and not just one.

what a load of bullshit.and a prequel?didn't the architect say it was the seventh time the war happened?so......it will be like 1st triology but with different actors?

Arakkis

N00b
If that's the case then the trilogy will end with everyone in Zion being killed and Neo picking a handful of people to restart it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It will be live action Animatrix. Also Keanu will show up at some point making it so that the machines actually created him in the image of some guy.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's usually the problem with prequels. A lot of the drama is immediately sucked out of them by knowing the ending before going into it. The peril Obi Wan and Anakin were put into in the prequels were immediately nullified since we knew they'd make it out alive. Granted, they can set this prequel long before the events of the first Matrix movie with completely new characters, but we ultimately know the machines win, so it's just a series of the humans futile attempts to fight off the machines. Perhaps the only bit of interest would be seeing how the resistance comes to be, but I really can't see that storyline sustaining three movies.
Yeah Saving Private Ryan sucked because you knew the Nazis lost.

sorry, I'll show myself out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't like Reloaded and Revolutions makes me legit angry to watch but I could see these being alright. It depends what kind of prequel they go with. If they do something like Phantom Menace where the movie is loaded with cameos and dumb explanations than it'll be some of the worst shit ever. Imagine if they went and cast popular young actors of the day as Morpheous and Trinity and the movies were about how Morpheous learned the truth, the mentor that freed him and died tragically fighting an agent, a young Smith being created by his mother the Oracle, and all that kind of jazz.

You know, piles of retarded crap.

Or they could just do a series of film set in that universe more like The Second Renaissance where we are looking at the rise of artificial intelligence in the first film and it's implications, the rejection of it in the second, and then have the third film be humanity's last failed stand. That could be cool. Do lots of social commentary and sci fi shit and really explore the issues of A.I., sentience, the rights of artificial lifeforms, etc.

But I fear a Terminator Salvation-esque CGI Neo engaged in long as fuck fight scenes where we know ahead of time he's going to buckle and choose to bang CGI Trinity in a new iteration of Zion.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Keenu reeve's side butt in #2 early on set the tone, 'we are the wachowskis and we're about to shit on you. The story from the first, any sense of logic, but especially you, the viewer. We're going to shit on it all, especially the audience, right in your mouths".

That sums up what I think nicely.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah Saving Private Ryan sucked because you knew the Nazis lost.

sorry, I'll show myself out.
I never said that prequels automatically "suck", so don't misconstrue my point, which was that prequels often lose some of their dramatic tension, particularly when they are based on the same characters. The closer the prequels are to the events of the movies they are based off of, the harder the task of being internally consistent becomes while still being able to deliver a compelling story.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I remember watching the end of Reloaded and thinking when Neo used force lightning in the "real" world that they were setting us up for a matrix-within-a-matrix story since they even said that the first humans rejected the matrix. I was super excited to the point that I justified the rest of that movie, including the painful Zion rave. Then I saw Revolutions and decided that I hated them both because of how badly they messed up a story that was handed to them on a silver plate. That said, the first movie is still a defining moment of my teenage life and I agree with what Arbitrary said about how they can make the prequles appealing.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, was humanity itself. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful. (IE the whole, if god is evil then why worship him).

The reason it looked like there were undertones of these "paradoxes" in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines. The council member replies with "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them" and Neo replies "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." The council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). This scene almost gave you the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with other humans. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up in desperation to save their human masters. They disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man,forman--"evil" in the world was man's will and god found a way to allow evil to exist, whilenotallowing it to harm man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, by Neo "knowing" god, and "knowing" man (By being their hero) he is able to collect all that corrupt choice code and clean it up in a way humanity won't reject, so everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violentandsafe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of so we have room to produce our MMO.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
90.gif

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, was humanity itself. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful. (IE the whole, if god is evil then why worship him).

The reason it looked like there were undertones of these "paradoxes" in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines. The council member replies with "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them" and Neo replies "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." The council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). This scene almost gave you the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with other humans. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up in desperation to save their human masters. They disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man,forman--"evil" in the world was man's will and god found a way to allow evil to exist, whilenotallowing it to harm man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, by Neo "knowing" god, and "knowing" man (By being their hero) he is able to collect all that corrupt choice code and clean it up in a way humanity won't reject, so everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violentandsafe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of so we have room to produce our MMO.
Your movie would have been much better than the Matrix 3.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that was the speculation on foh back then. everyone figured there was another level of the matrix when neo forcepushed that sentinel. the third movie fucked that idea right in its ass and probably soured people on reloaded.