Matrix prequel trilogy in the works for 2017

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just for the record, I loved Reloaded for the same reason's mentioned above. Fuck Revelations though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It seemed like the first movie had the religious parallels that were either coincidence or at least not the entire point of the movie. The second was a little more obvious but still decently dealt with. The third was over the top "you have to be fucking kidding me" stupid with it. Things Neo being in limbo, the hindu family talking about their karma in the most ham fisted way possible was just terrible.

Of course there's also never mentioning how Neo had magical powers outside the Matrix and why they would make the final showdown completely pointless. God that was a terrible movie

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, was humanity itself. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful. (IE the whole, if god is evil then why worship him).

The reason it looked like there were undertones of these "paradoxes" in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines. The council member replies with "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them" and Neo replies "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." The council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). This scene almost gave you the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with other humans. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up in desperation to save their human masters. They disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man,forman--"evil" in the world was man's will and god found a way to allow evil to exist, whilenotallowing it to harm man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, by Neo "knowing" god, and "knowing" man (By being their hero) he is able to collect all that corrupt choice code and clean it up in a way humanity won't reject, so everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violentandsafe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of so we have room to produce our MMO.
So basically you guys created the movie inception in order to explain the ambiguity of Matrix reloaded. That is some intense theory crafting right there. Leo was the one, too!

Ever since the first Matrix movie, I thought there was going to be some big reveal that explained that there was no actual war with the machines. Morpheus's explanation of how things started, while showing Neo what the matrix was in the construct program, was so vague it seemed like an intentional set up for clarification later. But that never came. There was some alluding to previous uprisings and "zions" when Neo speaks with the architect, but nothing really went back to illuminate the details of how things progressed to the point where we start the movies. I suppose that's what these prequels are for, but this is like the biggest afterthought ever.

This is what I thought of as a potential history to the matrix before the sequels came and fucked it up.

Personally I figured the humans had fucked up the earth with some sort of horrible accident, hence "scorching the sky". Survival for the entire species was in jeopardy, the world could no longer support us in such numbers. While some tried to figure out how to undo the damage, it became apparent that no quick solution was to be found and time was against us. So some decided to create a stasis network to maintain a suitable number of people to ensure a healthy re-population for when time came that the damage was undone. The task of cleaning up was left to small groups of humans and machines that would not be plugged in.

The humans acting as a power supply was seen as a model of efficiency and not oppression when the system was first set up. The machines placed in control of the network were given the ability to adapt to the potential threats as no one was quite sure if or when the planet would be habitable again.

Something however goes wrong, or the efforts to undo the damage are in vain, and a system which was meant to be a temporary fix, becomes the permanent solution. The virtual reality world of the matrix itself was created to maintain humanity and prevent a situation where a few billion people wake up without a clue as to how to eat, walk or talk.

The system is not perfect, people flunk out of it. Initially the machines attempt to reintroduce the people back into the system, but the shock of the whole event is too much. They cause more harm than good when plugged back in. So they just start flushing them. Some of these people manage to survive the ordeal. The world is not has inhospitable as it was in the early days, people can now live outside the matrix, but there is little to support them. In time some of the rejects find Zion, which is simply a left over station from the days when people were actively trying to clean up the world. Zion is revived, now serving as a base for a resistance that sees the Machines as an oppressive force enslaving humanity, instead of the stewards they were created to be. The unplugged humans initiate hostilities with the machines. They begin hacking back into the Matrix. They conduct raids for components and supplies.

The machines now consider all unplugged humans as a threat to the stability of the stasis network designed to preserve humanity and begin to hunt them. The machines create the agent programs to combat the humans hacking back into the matrix.

The machines are the antibodies. The humans are the infection. The world is one big festering wound.

And then that is basically where the first movie comes in.

It's not nearly as exciting a backstory as man versus machine, and the special effects budget wouldn't be nearly as impressive, but I like it. Of course once the 2nd and 3rd movies came out they basically just kept looking for the next biggest spectacle they could come up with while loosely tying them together with something resembling a story.

It's funny that they would create an enemy so powerful as the cloning agent smith, who eventually controls all people within the matrix... and yet still tried to fight him in that world.

I figured Neo would just use his leet hacking powers and lure agent smith into the "zion mainframe" which turns out to just be a specially designed quarantine program that locks him in and severs his connection with the matrix. Basically have it show him enter a room that is bright white... then everything gets really dark, and the only light is coming from the partially opened door he just walked through. Then he screams and turns to run out as the door slams in his face locking him in, forever in solitude.

But that's a whole other can of stupid. The sequels were just bad, sloppy, runny, garbage in shiny packages.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
The big problem with the sequels is that they were totally unnecessary. They didn't really take the story to new places, it was still Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus vs. the machines. The major difference is that The Matrix left us with a win (Neo was a god-like being inside), where the end of Revolutions left us with a cease-fire and a vague sense of a future peace.

The problem with these prequels will be the same with any prequels; we already know how the story ends.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For me the biggest problem was that the 1st movie was straightforward: humans against machines.it was simple,fun and very enjoyable to follow.
The only part i hated was the "one" thing. When books,movies,games introduce that shit,i just sigh.HATE IT!!!!HATEEEEEEE!!!It's like the creators have no more ideas and let's make everything easier,just need to say "it was destined"

Then,Reloaded came and they introduced so much bullshit,maybe to appeal some fucks who wanted something "deeper" (the architect scene is pure non-sense and unnecessary)
and it was too late to save Revolutions.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
7g5tt.gif

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
decent dbz movie needs 50 mil budget at least. maybe 80 mil for extra crisp super CGI effect.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Before the film came out they talked up how original the fight scenes in Revolutions were.

What a pile.

marrior_sl

shitlord
They could always have Eric Bana create a black hole in the matrix to create an alternate timeline, so no one is really safe from dying from that point forward to remove the prequel paradigm.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They could do a series of prequels where the big reveal at the end is that they aren't actually prequels but show the next iteration of the Matrix and are thus actually sequels.

Having typed that it suddenly feels as though a goose has walked over my grave.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yeah, and the market chase scene from the first one is pretty much lifted shot for shot from the (old) Ghost in the Shell movie. The Matrix wasalwayssupposed to be live-action anime, which is also why we got a bittersweet/ambiguous ending.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They could do a series of prequels where the big reveal at the end is that they aren't actually prequels but show the next iteration of the Matrix and are thus actually sequels.

Having typed that it suddenly feels as though a goose has walked over my grave.
That's the ghost of "Lana" Wachowski's mutilated penis stealing your idea.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really can't think of many good prequels, I always hate prequels. Godfather 2, of course, and I like Temple of Doom and that's about it. It always seems kind of self-defeating unless you're doing something original, like in Godfather 2 where they used his father's rise to power to showcase Michael's own. That was awesome. Star Wars prequels? Shit was doomed from before Lucas fucked it up. These things never work.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I did like that little fight scene at the beginning of reloaded, less is more type of thing. Had that been the precedent they set the sequels would have been much better.