mattresses

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i need to get a new mattress because my current one is beat to shit after only two years. last time i did this i thought i was slick and bought one from a small manufacturer outside Philly (Magic Sleeper). the thing was great for the first year, but now it's all concaved in and shit. i think a lot has to do with memory foam being used somewhere in the construction of it, so i'll be avoiding that this time. anyway, should i try again with the smaller manufacturers or just stick to the big guns like Sleepy's? the thing i fucking hate about Sleepy's is you always have to haggle with them, and no matter what they offer i feel like i could be getting a better deal. what's the deal with latex? will that hold up better than this shit memory foam did? holla at me

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Can't recommend a particular brand, but know the mattress I have has a pillow top. Shit is super duper comfy, but with those you flip them head to toe, not upside down. So there's some serious concaving happening after a mere few years. Dunno if that is a common problem, but next time I'm going with a model I can flip upside down for sure.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Get a good quality pocket coil with a cotton topper that you like. Latex, memory foam, latex, etc doesnt breath for shit and is awful in the summer time (no matter how "breathable" it claims to be). You can get a good ass mattress with a 10+ year warranty for under $1200 for a king.

EDIT: Make sure you have a solid base or use the box springs, otherwise the warranty is void.

i need to get a new mattress because my current one is beat to shit after only two years. last time i did this i thought i was slick and bought one from a small manufacturer outside Philly (Magic Sleeper). the thing was great for the first year, but now it's all concaved in and shit. i think a lot has to do with memory foam being used somewhere in the construction of it, so i'll be avoiding that this time. anyway, should i try again with the smaller manufacturers or just stick to the big guns like Sleepy's? the thing i fucking hate about Sleepy's is you always have to haggle with them, and no matter what they offer i feel like i could be getting a better deal. what's the deal with latex? will that hold up better than this shit memory foam did? holla at me
bob-o-pedic bro. dont spend top dollar on a mattress, that shit SHOULD be replaced every 5 years anyways.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
bob-o-pedic bro. dont spend top dollar on a mattress, that shit SHOULD be replaced every 5 years anyways.
Yeah we got a bob-o-pedic. Not too bad. Little thinner than top dollar mattresses but I fall asleep like a baby in minutes on the thing, I always had trouble falling asleep on regular mattresses.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
no more memory foam for me. in addition to wearing out super fast, it's also less fun to bang on. i'm a working man now and not quite in the shape i used to be... i need that energy return with my thrusts.

Column_sl

shitlord
Get a good quality pocket coil with a cotton topper that you like. Latex, memory foam, latex, etc doesnt breath for shit and is awful in the summer time (no matter how "breathable" it claims to be). You can get a good ass mattress with a 10+ year warranty for under $1200 for a king.

EDIT: Make sure you have a solid base or use the box springs, otherwise the warranty is void.
I bought one of those really expensive beds with all the bells and whistles like 3 monthes ago. Tempurpedic,latex, memory foam with a pillow top etc.
Ever since then I've been having massive joint problems in my shoulders/legs etc, not to mention that Tempurpedic shit traps heat from your body. It's awful

I have no clue what is going on with that, other then I work out allot, and its stretching out my joints in strange ways every night. Never had this problem with a regular bed, and I've been in good shape since I was a kid.

Taking this bitch back ,and looking to get one of Japanese Tatami beds.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
no more memory foam for me. in addition to wearing out super fast, it's also less fun to bang on. i'm a working man now and not quite in the shape i used to be... i need that energy return with my thrusts.
Wear a weight on your ball sack

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
A quality memory foam mattress won't cave or deform, that's why they come with ridiculously long warranties. The whole idea behind the material is that it resists deformity... Now a pillow top mattress is a total piece of shit imho, because it will 100% deform over time. It's basically a soft mini-mattress over the coil mattress and like any cushion it starts to "give" after awhile and you end up developing a ravine in the middle of your bed. I had an ex that bought a quality pillow-top, and within a year it felt like I was either sleeping in a fabric gutter or at an angle on a hill. That being said I have a Sealy memory foam in my guest bedroom (my old bed) and a Tempur-pedic in my master. Both are incredible beds and I've never had an issue with feeling "hot" in either of them. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a quality name brand memory-foam and it will last 20+ years. If cost is an issue, keep an eye out for the constant 2 year no interest offers the big mattress stores are always offering, but honestly it's worth the money considering the quality and durability.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Good timing on the thread. My current Sealy pillow-top mattress is about 10 years old and has horrible sag in it, at times you can't even tell I'm sleeping in it because by body has sunk so far down the covers basically look flat. With just my head on the pillow at a painful angle sticking out. But I'm a miserable drunk and suffer through it. Now it started giving the wife back / neck pains, and if there is one thing I do not want it is a cranky wife. Time to upgrade mattresses (not wifes).

We went to the Sleep Number store two weekends ago to get a feel for them, the features, and pricing. Was an interesting experience with the sales guy, letting you lay on the bed and find a comfortable number, then showing you a pressure map of a "regular" setting vs. where you said you were comfortable. Then we went through their different styles and tiers. Their standard pillow top adjustable King size was going to be somewhere around $3,600. That's with no bells and whistles, adjustable head / legs, or anything. Stepping up to the Memory Foam version would have put us in the almost $5,000 range. This was a quick quote before we walked out, so no negotiations or big promotional discounts, etc... Still, can't imagine more than 15% off which is right around $3k for the regular bed.

Came home and talked about it for a bit and decided we had never tried a Memory Foam bed at all, but had heard stories with heat and firmness. We weren't going to drop $3k+ on a new bed without trying out the other stuff. So I ordered one of the $400 Sleep Innovations Queen Memory Foam mattresses off Amazon. It'll be here today at some point. I figured $400 is no big deal and worth the test to kind of see how we react to a Memory Foam mattresses. At the worst we move it to the guest room and replace the mattress from her old apartment that is like 15 years+.

If we like it and it wears out in a year because it is cheap then we'll look at a name brand one. If not maybe we'll consider a Sleep Number and think about adjustable firmness / head for when and if we decide to have kids and she's knocked up.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Good timing on the thread. My current Sealy pillow-top mattress is about 10 years old and has horrible sag in it, at times you can't even tell I'm sleeping in it because by body has sunk so far down the covers basically look flat. With just my head on the pillow at a painful angle sticking out. But I'm a miserable drunk and suffer through it. Now it started giving the wife back / neck pains, and if there is one thing I do not want it is a cranky wife. Time to upgrade mattresses (not wifes).

We went to the Sleep Number store two weekends ago to get a feel for them, the features, and pricing. Was an interesting experience with the sales guy, letting you lay on the bed and find a comfortable number, then showing you a pressure map of a "regular" setting vs. where you said you were comfortable. Then we went through their different styles and tiers. Their standard pillow top adjustable King size was going to be somewhere around $3,600. That's with no bells and whistles, adjustable head / legs, or anything. Stepping up to the Memory Foam version would have put us in the almost $5,000 range. This was a quick quote before we walked out, so no negotiations or big promotional discounts, etc... Still, can't imagine more than 15% off which is right around $3k for the regular bed.

Came home and talked about it for a bit and decided we had never tried a Memory Foam bed at all, but had heard stories with heat and firmness. We weren't going to drop $3k+ on a new bed without trying out the other stuff. So I ordered one of the $400 Sleep Innovations Queen Memory Foam mattresses off Amazon. It'll be here today at some point. I figured $400 is no big deal and worth the test to kind of see how we react to a Memory Foam mattresses. At the worst we move it to the guest room and replace the mattress from her old apartment that is like 15 years+.

If we like it and it wears out in a year because it is cheap then we'll look at a name brand one. If not maybe we'll consider a Sleep Number and think about adjustable firmness / head for when and if we decide to have kids and she's knocked up.
Fuck sleep number. It's a glorified hospital bed and for the same price you can get a deluxe tempur-pedic. If you're worried about not liking a memory foam mattress, the big retailers like Mattress Giant give you six months exchange guarantee. One of my sisters is the pickiest bitch on the planet (basically a retailers nightmare), and she exchanged her mattress twice in six months because she didn't like them. As long as you use a mattress protector (which you should anyways), they'll let you exchange it within six months. They made the same offer on the ones I bought, but I liked them both.. I wish I could say the $400 cheapo memory foam mattress is going to give you a positive impression of the $4000 real think, but I don't think so..

P.S: One HUGE thing that is great about memory foam is that the person next to you can be tossing and turning and you won't even know it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wish I could say the $400 cheapo memory foam mattress is going to give you a positive impression of the $4000 real think, but I don't think so..

P.S: One HUGE thing that is great about memory foam is that the person next to you can be tossing and turning and you won't even know it.
I think my (our) only expectation is that we get to try it for a couple of months before moving it to the guest room and investing in a TempurPedic (or silmilar). I am hopeful based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews that it doesn't completely sour our taste for memory foam. If so, well then, we screwed up and your suggestion about the exchange policies at local big box stores may be a great way to follow up our trials.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've had a Sealy Posturpedic platform mattress for going on 12 years now that still sleeps great. I have one of those backs that goes completely out of kilter if I sleep on something other than a firm surface.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
are there any tricks to getting name brand mattresses at the lowest price possible without having to haggle with the gimps at Sleepy's?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ihatemy Tempur-Pedic mattress. The thing is unbangable on so we're forced to use the guest bed upstairs. It isn't that comfortable in the winter because it is like sleeping on a rock for around 20 minutes until your body heat warms it up. Then in the summer combined with being a furnace it feels like you're sleeping on a marshmellow. I sleep alright on it but I slept just as good on my inner spring mattresses without any of the other hassles that come with the tempur pedic.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I don't know about availability elsewhere, but here, I believe it's a St. Francis of Assisi charity that refurbishes old mattresses and resells them at a huge discount. No idea on their reliability however. The wife has seen them and said they look brand new, but I'm still skeptical.