mattresses

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Could check your area for a surplus hotel store. Friend has gotten some pretty amazing furniture from one in Seattle, not sure I would go with a bed tho.

Siliconemelons

I got a simmons pocketed coil mattress when I got married oh 7 years ago- and its still doing okay, it will need to be replaced in the next 2-3 years I am sure. it was about 1k for the king.

As for memory foam there is a huge difference between "generic" (basically anyone) and tempurpedic brand- the hard before warmup and the heat issues are all real but also just part of how the bed is /shrug

I would buy an independant pocket coil bed again, maybe with a small mem/gel topper just for some softness on top- but the beds been durable and comfortable for the past 7 years- it does suck you cant flip it, only turn it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife's grandparents are giving us a bedroom set from their guest bedroom. They're like 80 years old so no one has ever used it, it's absolutely brand new. I still want to buy a new mattress. I'm just getting this horrible visual of those two going "hey, wanna fuck on that new mattress?" and Ol' Pipelayer going to town on it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
At best it will smell like old person house. At worst it will be filled with old man dust spunk.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I know you said you don't want a memory foam mattress but I don't care.

I got something like this:
Amazon.com: Sleep Innovations 12-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress 20-Year Warranty, King: Home Kitchen

4 years ago and it's wonderful. It's shown no signs of wear that I know of. Everytime I go to a hotel and sleep on a normal mattress it's awful. The big problem with memory foam mattresses is they are hot in the summer.
That's the one we got, but Queen size. Was delivered Monday and I was out of town until last night giving it time to expand and air out. Slept on it last night and was marvelous. It isn't full on Southern hot yet so we'll see how it does in a month or two. And then how it sleeps over the next few months before we decide to keep or toss.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I know it must be true since everybody mentions it, but I have never noticed any heat issues with my tempur-pedic Rhapsody, even in the midst of a Texas summer. And I'm one of those guys that's always hot and has the bedroom thermostat set to 69F all year round. Asked my GF if she notices any increased heat vs a normal bed, and she also said no. Either it's something unique to the lower-end brands or I'm just oblivious to it.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Best time to buy mattresses is at the end if February early march as they are transitioning to the new models

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know it must be true since everybody mentions it, but I have never noticed any heat issues with my tempur-pedic Rhapsody, even in the midst of a Texas summer. And I'm one of those guys that's always hot and has the bedroom thermostat set to 69F all year round. Asked my GF if she notices any increased heat vs a normal bed, and she also said no. Either it's something unique to the lower-end brands or I'm just oblivious to it.
You probably don't because you keep your AC at arctic. Like a normal person my temp in the summer is somewhere around 76. I have a full-on high end double vented Tempur-Pedic and the thing is a furnace in the summer.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You probably don't because you keep your AC at arctic. Like a normal person my temp in the summer is somewhere around 76. I have a full-on high end double vented Tempur-Pedic and the thing is a furnace in the summer.
We keep ours between 68 - 74, once it gets up to 104 outside and the nights are like 90+ degrees it gets almost impossible to keep up with our house. So at that point it'll be the real test. I also ordered a protector that is supposed to be good, was like $30 on Amazon and will be here tomorrow.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lol 76 degrees? You must be the only guy that doesn't have to argue with his GF/wife over the thermostat setting. I'd be fucking melting in my bed at 76F.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We keep ours between 68 - 74, once it gets up to 104 outside and the nights are like 90+ degrees it gets almost impossible to keep up with our house. So at that point it'll be the real test. I also ordered a protector that is supposed to be good, was like $30 on Amazon and will be here tomorrow.
We got a protector when we got our mattress about 5 years ago and it did it's job. We had a bad sexcapade one night that involved feminine issues all over the center and it did not go to the mattress.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
We got a protector when we got our mattress about 5 years ago and it did it's job. We had a bad sexcapade one night that involved feminine issues all over the center and it did not go to the mattress.
Did it involve a cat-food like substance?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Our cat went through the throes of death on our old one. Like, all of them... sometimes and mostly when I was asleep. So we moved it to the guest room.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know you said you don't want a memory foam mattress but I don't care.

I got something like this:
Amazon.com: Sleep Innovations 12-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress 20-Year Warranty, King: Home Kitchen

4 years ago and it's wonderful. It's shown no signs of wear that I know of. Everytime I go to a hotel and sleep on a normal mattress it's awful. The big problem with memory foam mattresses is they are hot in the summer.
I know from our previous conversations on this subject that I have the exact same one as Tuco, except Queen size (so the same as you are getting Intrinsic), and I love it. I don't know what the deal is with people saying it needs to warm up to fit your body or that until it does it is uncomfortable. I noticed a difference between my old bed when I first got it, sure, but now I just lay down on it and don't even realize anything is different. I roll over and don't notice any "hole" that has to re-conform or anything. It just feels like a bed to me now.

I have a difficult time judging the heat of it though, because my apartment is a fucking oven during the summer. It is already getting to the point where I'm going to have to run the AC for the next 6 months solid if it gets any warmer. I'm upstairs and west facing, so I just fucking bake all summer. I only used heat about one week total during the winter though, so there's that trade-off. But anyway, I'm already sleeping with the windows wide open and fans blowing across me with no covers on, so is the bed hot or just the whole room? I don't notice a substantial retention or heat-radiation from the mattress itself (ie. the side I'm laying on is not substantially hotter than the side facing up if I turn the fan off), I'm just fucking hot all over. However, just from the fact that it forms itself around you somewhat, it is probably more likely to heat you up than a regular mattress for that reason alone. The material itself may be hotter too, I just can't say given my own situation.

Overall though, it is super comfortable and I'd have no problem buying another one when I eventually needed it.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The reference is from Damabf in the Girls who broke your heart thread from FoH. Very disturbing and humorous.