Mechanical Keyboards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Interesting, thanks! +1
Some words of warning. In the mech world you'll see a bunch of #KRO. This basically means how many keys you can press at once. NKRO means you can press an infinite amount. Most mechanical keyboards support NKRO.Howeverthe only way to achieve NKRO is to use a PS/2 connector. USB generally supports 6KRO. Membrane (cheap) keyboards usually support 3KRO.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some words of warning. In the mech world you'll see a bunch of #KRO. This basically means how many keys you can press at once. NKRO means you can press an infinite amount. Most mechanical keyboards support NKRO.Howeverthe only way to achieve NKRO is to use a PS/2 connector. USB generally supports 6KRO. Membrane (cheap) keyboards usually support 3KRO.
The K60 had 20 KRO. The K70 is NKRO. It's okay dude, we know you hate the MX Reds. Don't hate us for liking something different from you.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This is the only keyboard i ever want to use, so sad they discontinued them and replaced them with 4000 version that just does not have the same feel. I always keep an eye out for the odd sale of old stock.

microsoft_natural_keyboard_elite_2.jpg

I have gone through 3 of them ! Each time i try to get another brand but ended up returning it for lack of feel. I even had to go buy one for my office.

I hate the little feet however as they are very delicate and as dont hold up to a MMOPVP rage smash.

SmashKeyboard2.jpg

Tenks

The K60 had 20 KRO. The K70 is NKRO. It's okay dude, we know you hate the MX Reds. Don't hate us for liking something different from you.
What the fuck does switch type have to do with the rollover

I don't think you understand USB as an interface cannot support NKRO. It can achieve a very similar look and feel of NKRO by setting up a key queue.

What the fuck does switch type have to do with the rollover

I don't think you understand USB as an interface cannot support NKRO. It can achieve a very similar look and feel of NKRO by setting up a key queue.
The USB default keyboard standard does not support NKRO, if the keyboard comes with a custom driver it would be very simple for USB to support NKRO for a keyboard. I still don't understand why the standard is such a failure of a system. Inefficient and limiting, very bizarre stuff.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I got this bad boy for 60$ on sale. It's pretty sweet.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This might make me sound like an idiot, but how do I know if I have a mechanical keyboard? I'm using some second-hand keyboard I can't even remember where I got it, and I'm curious.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This is the only keyboard i ever want to use, so sad they discontinued them and replaced them with 4000 version that just does not have the same feel. I always keep an eye out for the odd sale of old stock.

microsoft_natural_keyboard_elite_2.jpg

I have gone through 3 of them ! Each time i try to get another brand but ended up returning it for lack of feel. I even had to go buy one for my office.

I hate the little feet however as they are very delicate and as dont hold up to a MMOPVP rage smash.

SmashKeyboard2.jpg
I love my 4000 series - i have 3 of them and i cant imagine using another kb.

Silence_sl

shitlord
This might make me sound like an idiot, but how do I know if I have a mechanical keyboard? I'm using some second-hand keyboard I can't even remember where I got it, and I'm curious.
Look it up on Google. Infos should be printed on a sticker affixed to the bottom of your keyboard.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I love my 4000 series - i have 3 of them and i cant imagine using another kb.
I've been using them (ergo boards) since they came out with the ergo line in 1999.

I finally got tired of the soggy key rebound and about a 10keyless Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry brown switches. I'm still not back to 100% on touch typing, but I'm loving the key response and the roughly 90 feet of space savings this gives me over the MS 4k it replaced.

It's tough as hell, too. The first thing my GF did when she was using it was to fall asleep at the wheel and dunk 1/4 glass of wine into it. Little bit of Windex in the sticky keys, and it was as good as new. That right there would have killed any membrane keyboard in an instant.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've been using them (ergo boards) since they came out with the ergo line in 1999.

I finally got tired of the soggy key rebound and about a 10keyless Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry brown switches. I'm still not back to 100% on touch typing, but I'm loving the key response and the roughly 90 feet of space savings this gives me over the MS 4k it replaced.

It's tough as hell, too. The first thing my GF did when she was using it was to fall asleep at the wheel and dunk 1/4 glass of wine into it. Little bit of Windex in the sticky keys, and it was as good as new. That right there would have killed any membrane keyboard in an instant.
I cant even f'n type on non ergo kb's now - when i use one of the laptops my hands are just confused as fuck and my speed and precision just takes a huge nose dive.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
if it's not ergo and didn't cost over 70bucks, it's a regular membrane(rubber dome) shitty keyboard.

for all you ppl that love the microsoft 4000, just think about upgrading.

i used the microsoft 4000(we'll just call it ms4k) for years, like 6?

it has a lot of good ergo properties.

it's split

it has tenting(if you look at it headon, the split is like a hump and forms a tent)

it has a really nice faux wrist rest(you should actually be using a wrist rest on your palms, resting on your wrists is not good) that's contoured

it has negative slope if you put on the bottom brace (angles the keyboard down, so your hands are like in the position that you put them in if you get a manicure)

but it can't take a lick of water.

i would have 2 ms4k's in my closet just in case (of course later on i just learned not to drink at my desk)

but the rubber domes (membrane) keys are really really bad. once you use more ergonomic mechanical keyboards, you'll feel the difference.

it's basically like, rubber domes are going up a hill in an automatic RWD honda civic as opposed to

mechanical keys is like a AWD manual suburu

try a mechanical keyboard at bestbuy, they usually have them out on display now, or even razer has like the type of packaging where you can play around with a few keys.

then if you want an ergo mechanical keyboard

Amazon.com: Kinesis KB500USB-BLK Advantage USB Contoured Keyboard (Black): Computers Accessories

Tenks

No that just means it has drivers to support pseudo NKRO by setting up a queue. USB as hardware cannot physically support NKRO but you can emulate it with software.

I should also note that hardly anyone needs NKRO. 6KRO is fine for basically everyone on the planet. NKRO is just marketing by mechanical companies to try and add some form of tangible benefit to their deck which costs $100 more than a membrane.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
It's like having an orgasm. If you have one, you'll know

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'll second the Corsair Vengeance K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. Best keyboard I ever owned and the red cherry switches are godly.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I just discovered the wonderful universe of mechanical keyboards a few weeks ago. I went full frenzy mode and bought ~10 keyboards total to see which one I like.

So far I have
Cherry G84-4400 (ML Switch)
Acer 6312 (ALPS clones)
Rosewill RK-900 (Cherry MX blue)
IBM Model M (buckling spring)
3 duds so far (rubber domes)

Still waiting on 2 x G80-11900 with mx black I think and some random boards I got for 5-10$ hoping they'll be mechanical with dyesubs or something. I'm looking for a NMB board (space invaders) and some more ALPS (green, cream, blue).

Planing on making a custom keyboard as well (either 60% or ergodox) but there's still a lot to read / learn first.

Check out this amazing piece of work
BbVCp.jpg