Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I didn't think I'd be excited for oldtech and single heat sinks. But maybe that will make for some interesting builds and strats, compared to DHS + boating all the weapons.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I didn't think I'd be excited for oldtech and single heat sinks. But maybe that will make for some interesting builds and strats, compared to DHS + boating all the weapons.

I haven’t watched any videos about this beta yet, but I will say I like having gimped versions of weapons and tech because you can’t just best in slot everything. But saying that, there are still optimal builds so it really doesn’t make a difference does it. :/

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven’t watched any videos about this beta yet, but I will say I like having gimped versions of weapons and tech because you can’t just best in slot everything. But saying that, there are still optimal builds so it really doesn’t make a difference does it. :/

I think that'll come down to how they balance things via rarity, cost, replacement, etc. Obviously a no lifer will eventually have a fully kitted out clan/lostech lance, but I enjoy mechwarrior games more when they force you to slowly upgrade through light > medium > heavy etc, and then throw in missions where you to go for speed, stealth, short range, long range, etc.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They just need to bite the bullet and scrap/rebuild the entire weapon damage/heat/armor model. It doesn't work in FPS where you can precision aim and core out any mech with a few large lasers in a weapon group.

The entire system was built for random damage application via D6 rolls and needs to be re-thought if anything approaching "balance" is the objective.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
They just need to bite the bullet and scrap/rebuild the entire weapon damage/heat/armor model. It doesn't work in FPS where you can precision aim and core out any mech with a few large lasers in a weapon group.

The entire system was built for random damage application via D6 rolls and needs to be re-thought if anything approaching "balance" is the objective.

As heretical as it would be, this would probably be the best way to go. Rebuild the system from the ground up for this style of game.

Hopefully it will be a solid game by the time it hits steam. I love Battletech but MWO eventually lost me as I generally prefer single player games.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure everyone would love something more involved then just a prettier looking MW 3/4, but I'm not holding my breath for anything revolutionary and would be happy with just another MW game at this point. It's been way to long and wouldn't be that hard if it wasn't for all the IP/rights faggotry that's always dragged battletech down.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So you want MWO? Go play MWO then.

What do you want out of a PVE MW pilot game?

How about more than random death matches? How about running a unit? How about choosing which contracts to take, for which factions, to help wars? And factions actually mattering. Know you, something MWO tried kinda-sorta-not really to give us, and is super pathetic? What BattleTech is trying to do.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
How about more than random death matches? How about running a unit? How about choosing which contracts to take, for which factions, to help wars? And factions actually mattering. Know you, something MWO tried kinda-sorta-not really to give us, and is super pathetic? What BattleTech is trying to do.
None of those things are really shit people give about in an online combat simulator.

They can actually work in a PVE game because the rules can be arbitrarily changed at any time to benefit the losing side, but they will never work in an online game (see every open world pvp faction based MMO ever if you want a reason why player based faction fighting turns into a 1 sided dog pile ass beating in short order).

But this is also a very blatant cash grab on the IP with minimal effort really put forth to get a viable product out (literally taking the MWO code and assets and jerry-rigging on a PVE scripting module with AI). I have no real hope for this title, much less them matching what was achieved with MW4 and all of the expansions.