Mechwarrior Online

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The only way I think I'd consider playing this at this point, would be if you could start with X of your friends and just play against each other once or twice a month. And even then it probably wouldn't last after some people aren't hooked and start flaking out and you're left with like 3 people left. I've tried this with friends on private servers and LANs with generic FPS games like BF and DoD and they never lasted, and I don't even think that's a possibility with MWO.

I had my fill of the PUG shit throughout pre-release. I don't doubt that it's more polished then it had been, but the last thing I want to play is an FPS with additional grinding or microtrans requirements and zero MMO style meta.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In the off chance I'm not the only one that still logs in sometimes, there's a fairly unique Challenge right now, with some time consuming/weird shit to do: MWO: Tournaments

I'm actually interested in this, but I have almost no play time this weekend.

OneofOne

Rise from ye grave...

Some changes are (again) coming. Now we'll have skill trees. Not terribly in depth, but the long and short of it is, a lot of mechs are losing quirks - and modules are being removed from the game - and the skill system is replacing them. Additionally, a few things are being nerfed, to be re-bought through skills trees - notably ECM range (a lot) and LRM range (a little, 900m base now).

Full notes and skill trees:

MWO: News

As usual they continue churning out new mechs. Got a new map mode as well, where you have to guard (or kill) an NPC Atlas as it slooooooowly makes it's way across the map. Fun in that it's different, but highly annoying sometimes and this mode tends to magnify dumb shit/people a lot. I still enjoy playing the game. While there is STILL no meta-game, I find it fun to log in for a game or two before work, or after, to decompress, without a huge time investment, while waiting for the new Battletech game, entering BETA soon.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Any of you nerds still play this? Battletech got me craving more giant robots, and this seems like its as good as its ever been.

OneofOne

When the skills trees came out last year, I looked at all the mechs I'd have to choose a skill tree for, and then logged out and called it done.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

I play a little, recently restarted so im not loaded. Stopped because of playing btech currently.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
When the skills trees came out last year, I looked at all the mechs I'd have to choose a skill tree for, and then logged out and called it done.

Skill trees seem fine with the free respecs, but it takes a while to earn the xp to get all 91 points or whatever it is.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Worst thing about this game for me is having days where solo QP is complete and utter dogshit. Just team after team where 2-3 teammates suicide first thing, or you end up with an assault lance that wants to sit back and snipe/LRM while the rest of the team dies.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit you're still alive.
'sup bro

Debating whether or not to buy a Deathstrike on the current sale or not. I love playing my Urbies, but it's a wee bit harder getting a standout game in a trashcan versus probably the best assault in the game right now.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'd only got for the Deathstrike if you really want something in that class with a c-bill bonus. It's real good, but I don't think it's all that much better, if at all, than some of the standard variants.

I picked up an IV-FOUR and whatever the fuck the Ebon Jag hero is called. Loves me some MRM spam and the IV-FOUR is basically the king of that, and I've been wanting to mess with Jags for a while so might as well pick up the c-bill bonus on an omnimech.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'd only got for the Deathstrike if you really want something in that class with a c-bill bonus. It's real good, but I don't think it's all that much better, if at all, than some of the standard variants.

I picked up an IV-FOUR and whatever the fuck the Ebon Jag hero is called. Loves me some MRM spam and the IV-FOUR is basically the king of that, and I've been wanting to mess with Jags for a while so might as well pick up the c-bill bonus on an omnimech.

I didn't end up getting anything. I have at least 100+ mechs that I rarely even play, especially assaults. I probably should have gotten a IV but I'm not really a fan of MRMs unless it's on a chassis with shit for hardpoints and you're just trying to find a minimally viable build.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played in a few months, but MWO is my favorite game to love/hate. Or maybe...hate/love. I'm not even sure on the love part...just the hate part.

I need to put this paintjob on all my Urbies. I thought about swastikas but I think I'd get banned for that.

Think this one now has a LFE and 4 HMGs. Nowhere near the DPS of a PIR, but if your teammates can open the enemy up it's hilariously fun just YOLOing into the middle of the other team and finishing everyone off.

saeHQAh.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Bumping this thread with copy=pasta of what I posted over in the MW5 thread:

I'm surprised that no one has updated this since Dec 2016.

Russ spoke on a Developer Update stream (I haven't seen a recording of it), but the MWO folks were up in arms over some of it. One thing that came out, was that Russ stated MWO itself couldn't fully fund the MW5 development with the current staffing level they have. Some scuttlebutt about making MWO a subscription game instead of FTP, and that all the mechpacks they were trying to sell haven't exactly been paying for themselves. So MWO is looking like it's going to have a lot of it's development cut, MW5 will limp along the best it can...and...who knows.

Ma Boi TTB's take. It has more of an MWO focus because...well...these are the folks that were listening to it:

I haven't listened to Critical Rocket's summary, but will probably listen now:

Sludig

Not qualified to say since I've only farted with it on and off again. But I feel like most mech packs were always too expensive. IE I think a lower price would have gained them more purchases than the loss from the pack itself being cheaper. (Look at stuff like league of legends skin pricing much less new heroes. Little cheaper than MWO would expect to be, but still covers the general idea.)

Mechwarrior seems like the same boat as warhammer 40k. Great IP's hindered/held back by mostly lackluster games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not qualified to say since I've only farted with it on and off again. But I feel like most mech packs were always too expensive. IE I think a lower price would have gained them more purchases than the loss from the pack itself being cheaper. (Look at stuff like league of legends skin pricing much less new heroes. Little cheaper than MWO would expect to be, but still covers the general idea.)

Mechwarrior seems like the same boat as warhammer 40k. Great IP's hindered/held back by mostly lackluster games.
I agree, but I also don't think they have a large enough population to drop the price and just sell more. So they just keep harpooning the whales.

Another problem I think they have, is that the mech-bloat is real. I'm not even a hardcore player, and I have like 100+ mechs. Unless I want to chase whatever the current meta is, I probably have mechs I can use to play just about any theme build I want.

The fact they don't offer overall discounts on higher tier packs probably hurts them too.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Fuck me.

Trying to get back into the groove after not playing for months, and I'm back in T1 getting slamblasted nonstop, LOL.

feels bad, man