Mechwarrior Online

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
years ago i would have payed $10 a month to have access to all standard mechs so i didn't have to grind to try new things. i don't get why games like this don't offer a subscription to let people play whatever the fuck they want whenever they want instead of having to grind for it.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well, the current game is so different than what it used to be, that you could make a compelling argument that something like this is in the cards.

Subscription might happen. Bad thing is, no matter what they do, people are going to bitch about it.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Been getting so many shitty PUG teams tonight, but the double arty strike kill after I die was worth a chuckle at least

PGI really fucked up royally on the "Time To Kill" shit, if that was ever really their intent. Been getting so many games where just a few minutes into the game half your team is dead, the failure cascade is in full effect, and I'm like "How? How did you all die that fucking fast?"

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Been getting so many shitty PUG teams tonight, but the double arty strike kill after I die was worth a chuckle at least

PGI really fucked up royally on the "Time To Kill" shit, if that was ever really their intent. Been getting so many games where just a few minutes into the game half your team is dead, the failure cascade is in full effect, and I'm like "How? How did you all die that fucking fast?"

View attachment 215873

Yeah man this sounds way better than painting minis.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The issue is systemic and not something they can fix without drastic changes, so the TTK is gonna be what it is until the game dies.

Mechs/armor/weapons were designed with random hit locations in mind. They then mostly ported all these values in to an FPS game that removes the random hit location part of the math, so of course everything fucking explodes instantly to a chest alpha because none of it was ever balanced for that to happen. A full alpha would hit like Larm, Larm, Rleg,Rtorso,Ctorso and splash all over the place, so it wasn't just getting cored out every time if you got ass-blasted by a big laser boat.

They've tried to bandaid this with laser burn times and gauss screenshake, but it doesn't matter. It's still true to target FPS with weapon damage numbers that will forever be a problem in that system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The issue is systemic and not something they can fix without drastic changes, so the TTK is gonna be what it is until the game dies.

Mechs/armor/weapons were designed with random hit locations in mind. They then mostly ported all these values in to an FPS game that removes the random hit location part of the math, so of course everything fucking explodes instantly to a chest alpha because none of it was ever balanced for that to happen. A full alpha would hit like Larm, Larm, Rleg,Rtorso,Ctorso and splash all over the place, so it wasn't just getting cored out every time if you got ass-blasted by a big laser boat.

They've tried to bandaid this with laser burn times and gauss screenshake, but it doesn't matter. It's still true to target FPS with weapon damage numbers that will forever be a problem in that system.
Yeah, I know. What's funny is that I remember bitching during development about them doubling armor values, thinking it would make lights too powerful. I've had THAT particular bit of egg on my face for years now (probably really early in this thread somewhere). As it stands even armor quirked mechs get stripped fast, and I don't know many folks who don't take survival quirks if they have enough SP for it. That alone should tell PGI something, but with how things are now I don't think PGI is going to change a damn thing, LOL

What I really wanted was a move from 12 mans to 8. I don't think it would 'fix' TTK but maybe it would fix it a little.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yeah, I know. What's funny is that I remember bitching during development about them doubling armor values, thinking it would make lights too powerful. I've had THAT particular bit of egg on my face for years now (probably really early in this thread somewhere). As it stands even armor quirked mechs get stripped fast, and I don't know many folks who don't take survival quirks if they have enough SP for it. That alone should tell PGI something, but with how things are now I don't think PGI is going to change a damn thing, LOL

What I really wanted was a move from 12 mans to 8. I don't think it would 'fix' TTK but maybe it would fix it a little.

I think it would definitely help. Right now in pubs the deathballs put out so much damage that even 100 ton nonsense like the annihilator will lose its entire torso if it peeks the wrong corner and the deathball is looking his way.

The game is basically done with at this point anyway unfortunately. MW5 is gonna make or break them, and MWO is obviously on lifesupport and has been for some time. I still fire it up every now and again cause the parts they did get right (visual/audio design, "punchyness" of a lot of weapons, etc) they got really, really right and it's still a good time to go blast some things for a bit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually a bit worried about MW5. Hopefully they can get it released, and it's good.

MWO matches are so weird sometimes. Played a bunch of brawl maps last night, in Urbies as usual. I couldn't get anything done in a 4 HMG & 2 MPL build on any close range maps; teams just dying too fast for me to slowly roll out my damage. But then I end up on Polar Highlands Conquest. Had to poke with the 2 MPL most of the game before charging in and HMGing people to death.

Best game of the night, the most enjoyable, and it's in an HMG Urbie on a LURM map.

I used to like the brawl maps more, like HPG or Mining Collective. But the big, long range maps do tend to spread people out a LOT, and that I do like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Molten Core Raider
Stop bumping this, you're making me want to play again.

I havent been on this game in probably 2ish years, how tough would it be to get back into?

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I loved MWO during Alpha, and it has only gotten better from what I've experienced. The only... ONLY downside is how hard it is to survive sometimes, and the heavy hitting alphas discourage huge tonnage mechs.

I'm updating it now -_-

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Stop bumping this, you're making me want to play again.

I havent been on this game in probably 2ish years, how tough would it be to get back into?
I guess it depends on what your mechs & builds were. I think you missed the new tech update? Laser vomit still works (their 'fix' didn't seem to change much). LRMs work a little different now, still not meta IMHO. ATMs are OP as hell in the right hands, and MRMs are solid on a lot of builds. Dakka is still dakka. LFE are nice for a lot of mechs. I've always been super pro-AMS, now I'm even more hardcore about almost always taking AMS if I can. There's a metric fuckton of ATM poptarters right now, especially Vapor Eagles, and you can get wrecked really quickly.

Piranhas are OP, I'd say. A ridiculous amount of firepower on a light mech. IS lights can't even come close to their raw DPS, I don't think. If a fresh PIR starts picking off your injured teammates at the end of a match, you're gonna have a bad time.

I almost never play assault mechs, but I will probably get a Fapnir at some point. Those scare me a lot.

Vapor Eagles seem really powerful.

New stealth armor mechanics seem interesting.

Molten Core Raider
I downloaded the game and popped on and had a huuuuuge list of stuff that had been refunded/removed. According to my purchase history, it's been nearly 4 years since I played, so yeah, I'm way out of the loop. I recall the Ebon Jaguar and Timberwolf being the mechs I put a lot of time into toward the end of my last play stint.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Ebon Jags are still solid, I think. I see them fairly often.

Timbies...not so much. First they had all those negative quirks on omnipods for balance, then IIRC they stripped the negative quirks from omnipods and just reduced core stats to the point that the mech itself was nerfed. I also think the engine desync may have hurt it, but I'm not a Timbie pilot so I'm not certain.

Molten Core Raider
That's a shame, I really liked the Timberwolves. I need to hit the MWO forums or reddit or something and find a new player guide cause with all the changes and the length of time since Ive played it is pretty much like Im a new player starting from scratch.

I remember there used to be a reason to own and rank up multiple variants of the same mech type, is that still a thing or can I just pick a chassis type and run with it?

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
this will make life easier. just pick a mech and grind out SP, you should have got some refunds on your existing mechs.

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
Apparently Im sitting on over 2100 global skill points and most of my mech variants have 91 historic ones. I copied that Ebon Jag build from the list there, figure it's as good of a place as any to get started. Im gonna get shot up a lot tonight I expect. Lots of relearning to do.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I remember there used to be a reason to own and rank up multiple variants of the same mech type, is that still a thing or can I just pick a chassis type and run with it?
Nope. The whole Rule of 3 bullshit to be able to master is gone now.

On the flip side, you get the Skill Maze.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's a shame, I really liked the Timberwolves. I need to hit the MWO forums or reddit or something and find a new player guide cause with all the changes and the length of time since Ive played it is pretty much like Im a new player starting from scratch.

Baradul uploaded this today

Molten Core Raider
Nice, I had everything to build that one and gave it a test drive today, it felt good driving the Timberwolf again. Ive spent the last few days getting reacclimated to the game, trying to learn the new maps and just trying not to suck in general. Ive been diggin the Mad Cat, Warhammer, and Ebon Jag, havent been brave enough to try a medium or light yet.

Im not sure the game is playing nice with my ultrawide monitor though, it feels as if Im losing some of the visibility I should have due to the monitor resolution. My field of vision feels very restricted with all the structure and monitors in the cockpit, I don't recall it being so claustrophobic before.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I changed to a larger monitor not long ago, and it fucked with me a bit. My old monitor died otherwise I might have switched back.

Lately I've been going through old mechs, looking for stuff I never played (so many mechs) or mechs that I built terribly. Tonight I decided to roll with a Thanatos (bought the whole pack when it first came out, lost torsos SO EASILY that I never played them). TNS-5S, ECM + 2ea RAC5s, 2 ersmall.

They buffed CT/LT/RT armor a bit since I last played them, but damn this seems like a really nice build. RACs above the cockpit, peaking over hills with ECM and just straight up blinding people with bullet spray. Literally did like 600+ damage in my first match with 0 skill points (MM gave me a really good team, but STILL)

1564364722087.png