Men's Fashion

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
I feel like it’s time for me to switch to dress shirts, slacks and shoes. Maybe a blazer too. Shoes I have covered but the rest I want to get while tossing my current shirts(don’t really have any slacks). Price doesn’t matter but the smaller the quality/price ratio is, the better. For shirts I know CT is recommended here often but I would like another’s option or two. Please enlighten.

Also a new suit or five would be nice.

As far as shirts go, I do like CT. I used to have a ton of express shirts, but recently changed over to CT and love them. I prefer their fabric to express. Plus I have short arms and a fat neck. It's nice to get a custom sized shirt right away instead of having them altered. But if you are interested in other brands, I do like banana republic shirts as well.

I can't really give a good opinion on suits as I get really cheap stuff from outlet malls and then get them altered to fit just a bit better. I do hear good things about suit supply if you're in one of those cities.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I haven't shopped at Uniqlo in a long time but I always found their sizes to be really weird. Clothes are meant for tiny Asians.

I'm really close to doing a complete wardrobe overhaul. Just invest two grand in all new shit.

I've shopped a lot at both their Japan shops and the one in NYC. I have to buy large in Japan, and they're tight with slightly short arm length. Medium is the right size for me at the NYC store and are a little looser in the shoulders and chest.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've resided myself to going to Brooks Brothers for work shirts. I'm 6'3", 220, wide shoulders and have long arms, so their man fitted/tailored shirts for old overweight guys fit perfect.

My wife bought me a large shirt at uniqlo when one opened up at Tyson's, thing was like a 3/4 sleeve shirt on me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers are basically the same exact shirts in my experience. Which is why everyone here recommends CT since they have some great sales fairly often. You can get shirts on sale for like $25 each.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I haven't shopped at Uniqlo in a long time but I always found their sizes to be really weird. Clothes are meant for tiny Asians.

I'm really close to doing a complete wardrobe overhaul. Just invest two grand in all new shit.
2k sounds cheap. I was thinking like 4-5k.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
While in Japan a few months ago, I purchased 4 shorts from Uniqlo to replace some of my older ratty shorts. I don't really do anything with them. I treat my clothes nice, but eventually they all fade. The shorts in question are easily 6+ years old (from Old Navy) and were finally going to shit. Small hole in the leg eventually spreads, or you snag your toe in it while putting it on and rip the side open. You know what I mean.

Anyway, the 4 shorts that I bought from Uniqlo fit well (XL size). The leg is a little tigher than I'm used to, but they look good on me. The issue is, wearing the lighter khaki colored ones 3 times have caused them to rip... in multiple places. It started off on the edge where the thicker pocket seam connected to the leg. But suddenly, It developed a 2" tear along the back pocket seam. I'm really annoyed. This happened to both of the khaki styles that I purchased. One is straight khaki, the other is almost like a desert camo style. They're both hunks of shit. I'm really annoyed at this. The darker colors are a lot more rugged. At least they feel that way to the touch. Stiffer material.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been told cargo shorts are out of style, but they aren't in death metal so I need to find a good brand. Mix of camo and regular khaki/black is good.

Last couple pairs I got were thinner material and ripped much like the same way yours ripped. I'm not very rough with my clothes due to my sedentary gaming lifestyle.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also weird question... been growing out my beard.. it's getting pretty big but in the awkward phase still.

What do you guys do if you need to do something important - wedding, interview, etc? Do you hit up the barber and get a little trim, or do you just suck it up, realize it's a beehive, and trim it way down so you don't look like an idiot? I can post a pic later, but it's definitely in the weird phase.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The way to make a starter beard look nice is to shave your cheeks & neck. Having a portion of cheeks that never grow much hair, but still have straggly pieces otherwise makes even a starter beard look more kempt. The same holds for the neck. Shave all of your neck, but leave all of the beard on the underside of your jaw.

This video goes against what I said for cheeks, but it also works.

Khane

His beard looks like shit. Not clean shaving your cheeks makes you look mangy and unkempt. His neck needs cleaning up too.

2/10 would not recommend. Don't know what I was expecting watching a video by "Baxter of California" though.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have very black and very thick facial hair. I clean neck and cheeks and trim using 5 setting on any trimmer (these seem uniform). Keeping that shit unkempt and wild is not a good look.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh you misunderstand. It's been growing for 6 months. I am beyond having a visible neckline. I want to say it's 3-4 inches long

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
IMG_20181003_172143.jpg

This is after a full day work and not after I groom it but you get the idea

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I suggest shaving your entire face to make it look better.

Seriously though, I'd suggest trimming it to half that length or 1/3 for a job interview.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit it's noodle!! What up bruh!!

I'm in a similar situation but mines not long enough to hide "neckbeard" so I still shave my neck and cheeks.

My buddy recommended just using scissors to taper it down from the ear to chin because no trimmer is gonna have a setting on the guard that'll be that long.

That's where I thought maybe I'd just not let it get longer than a 20 , which is the max setting in my guard?

Crone

image.jpg
Full disclosure I'm on my way home from work for the week so haven't done a damn thing to it for a couple days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Believe me Ive thought about just shaving my face. Here's a real pic from earlier. The no maintenance thing is nice but I'm ending up having to use a lot of product and add to my morning routine to keep it tamed

This gives you a better idea. I realize this opens me up to the butt of many jokes and I'm ok with that

IMG_20181002_082618.jpg

Khane

The biggest problem with a beard that long is you have to maintain it the same way you would maintain a head full of hair. You need to groom it and clean it the same way you would your head hair, including using scissors to clean up the length and trim it appropriately. There are no clippers/trimmers for that length and beard hair tends to be more wiry and scraggly than head hair as it gets longer so at that length I'd probably start using beard oils or balms as well to condition it. I don't think it looks bad per se but it is a much bigger maintenance headache than keeping a trimmer length beard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I use oils and balms... and beard shampoo/conditioner... and blow drying. It's.. something. I used to have long hair and then shaved my head one day because I was tired of it. I don't know why I'm growing a full beard. I do trim it sometimes, but it's still in the awkward growing phase where certain parts need to catch up.

Crone

Khane Khane 's right, and it's time for scissors.

Careful with letting it grow, hoping some parts will fill in. I tried that, and would use trimmers at a certain length every few weeks, hoping the rest would fill in, and I don't feel like they did really. At least it let me know that one side of my face just doesn't grow sideburns. Lol