Metal Gear Solid V

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
After so many shitty PC ports of triple A games I've become a little gunshy about buying them day 1. I'm a huge MGS fan anyone here have any experience with the PC port? How is it?
I am running on a laptop with a 880GT, and it is rock solid at everything maxed (except shadows at high instead of very high). It looks fantastic, and no signs of slowdowns.

The game has the best prologue of any game ever. Just one hour of crazy awesome. Someone give Kojima access to a director chair in Hollywood please.

As to the Ground Zero additions, you can get a save file from

MEGA

extract the rar file (replace) into

X:\Steam\userdata[Accountnumber]\311340\remote

Make sure cloud saves are enabled, then start GZ and export the save.

It will give you a 100% completion on Ground Zero to import into MGS5, since there are 20ish characters in GZ you can activate into Mother Base. The online servers were down now though, so it wouldn't let me import it yet.

Column_sl

shitlord
This is the first time I'm glad I watched someone stream the game before impulse buying it. Not into the open world witcher/gta gameplay with micro management/quests everywhere.

Also the AI in this game seems really dumb, you can blow up barrels right next to them , and they walk around like nothing happened.

Was hoping for more of the Last of Us/ Resident Evil type story driven narrative not Menu Gear Solid.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After so many shitty PC ports of triple A games I've become a little gunshy about buying them day 1. I'm a huge MGS fan anyone here have any experience with the PC port? How is it?
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain port impressions - PC Gamer

It's PC Gamer.....so take from that what you will.

I haven't seen a TotalBiscuit Port Report or anything more substantial yet.

*edit* LOL, $75 for Phantom Pain in Canada? You can bet that's going to be pirated and played until it goes below $50 on steam during a sale in 6-8 months.

Vorph

It's PC Gamer.....so take from that what you will.
They are usually quite good these days. Unfortunately this one wasn't written by durante (the Dark Souls fix guy), and it's not nearly as in-depth as his reports are, but it covers most things you'd want to know. Biggest issues seem to be UI stuff, like not being able to use the mouse in menus and not being able to rebind keys at all. It's kind of disappointing since people complained about the same issues with Ground Zeroes and Konami apparently didn't give a shit about improving kb/m, but I can't imagine playing a game like this except with a gamepad anyway.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I am running on a laptop with a 880GT, and it is rock solid at everything maxed (except shadows at high instead of very high). It looks fantastic, and no signs of slowdowns.

The game has the best prologue of any game ever. Just one hour of crazy awesome. Someone give Kojima access to a director chair in Hollywood please.

As to the Ground Zero additions, you can get a save file from

MEGA

extract the rar file (replace) into

X:\Steam\userdata[Accountnumber]\311340\remote

Make sure cloud saves are enabled, then start GZ and export the save.

It will give you a 100% completion on Ground Zero to import into MGS5, since there are 20ish characters in GZ you can activate into Mother Base. The online servers were down now though, so it wouldn't let me import it yet.
I can't for the life of me find my GZ save file. One exists because if I launch GZ I can continue back from my last location... so I just created the directory manually and went through the steps. Not sure if it worked though since it says servers are down for me also.

Vorph

Ah, I guess that's what I get for believing what I see on Steam's forums. I went with PS4 myself.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Are rerolled folks liking this? I ask because even though it got amazing reviews a couple of the top streamers did not like it at all.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Those streamers are hella gay.

Its Red Dead Metal Gear. I'm serious.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its the best short hand description I can think of. You run around on a horse, fulton extracting dudes, sheep, mortar cannons, whatever the fuck you can get your hands on, complete missions by infiltrating heavily guarded areas to extract prisoners, complete objectives, build up mother base and basically just Rambo your way across Afghanistan with a goddamn robot arm.

If you liked Ground Zeroes gameplay, but wanted it in a more open arena, this is exactly that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Don't forget the awesome over the top dialogue and acting, hour long cutscenes, 80s music tapes to collect, ridiculous character names... just about everything you could throw in a MGS.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The online shit is annoying, was online by default and once their server DCed me......it loaded me from the last checkpoint while I was in the middle of sneaking into a place

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
just finished the intro and i have no clue what the fuck is going on.
You have to finish the first couple of missions to really get it going. Once you start mother base you can work on getting your next mission complete, then get side missions and get your interpreter. There is some hand holding in the beginning. Over time.

Also you need, absolutely need, to check the guard post areas and look for 80's songs. I just collected a whole bunch of medicine plants while listening to she blinded me with science haha!

I never get sick of knocking dudes out and sending them to the mother base. I'm about four hours in. Finished prologue and two missions. Still showing zero percent complete.

This game is so fucking awesome.

Also take the time to listen to all the tapes. They are good.

Also make sure to use your binoculars. For everything. Scout bases from high up.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Ha ha didn't read this thread today to go in blind so had no idea about the interpreter. Spent a long time scouting the first town, knocking everyone out, hiding them so I could wake them up one by one and interrogate them safely before knocking them out again only to find out Snake doesn't know Russian. Need to get that interpreter when I get back in town next week and also need to stop traveling when these AAA games comes out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also there is a quick travel system that according to one podcast isn't readily explained. Something to do with grabbing delivery tickets (?) at the outposts near a mail area? I kind of turned it off once they got in to spoiler territory, just remembered that topic.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I can't for the life of me find my GZ save file. One exists because if I launch GZ I can continue back from my last location... so I just created the directory manually and went through the steps. Not sure if it worked though since it says servers are down for me also.
If you have several disks, you also have several steam directories. However, one is considered your primary for save files. I have a steam directory in C, D, E and F. The difference between them is that your primary steam folder is called "Steam" not "Steamapps" which will be the folder name created for steam in secondary drives.

In your primary folder you will see "userdata" then folders with several numbers on them. I think there might be more depending on how many users/accounts share your computer and steam.

However, just enter the numbered folders and look for the folder with tons of numbered folders (each represents a game) then look for the one named 311340.

That is the steam number for GZ. In there, go to the "remote" folder, and it will contain your save file. Replace the ones in there with the ones in the rar.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
just finished the intro and i have no clue what the fuck is going on.
Its a Metal Gear game, this is normal. Especially if you skipped Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes.

Should probably check youtube for some plot videos from both if you really are curious whats going on.

The gist of it is Big Boss dun got blowed up at the end of Ground Zeroes and was in a coma in ahospital in Cyprus for nine years and now he's gonna go all Kill Bill on some bitches

The last spoiler wasnt that spoilery, but this next one you might want to be more cautious with clicking

But Venom Snake may be a ruse, and Kojima may be hard trolling us, hence why you had to make a character at the start of the game

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Keg: Read these helpful tips as well. It's confusing as heck until you complete the first 2 missions, start Mother Base, and then complete the first mission after which opens up Side Ops (Side Ops are missions for quality of life in the game in a lot of cases)

As soon as you notice even the slightest hint of enemy activity, immediately equip the binoculars by pressing R1, and locate your target through the scope. It takes only a few seconds, and once you spot an enemy, they will be permanently tagged. The benefits are significant; once tagged, enemies will be outlined in red, and even if they walk out of view or stand behind obstructions, a silhouette of their position will still be viewable from any angle. Tagged enemies also appear on your iDroid map, giving you a far better understanding of your surroundings.
Be aware of the Side Ops available in the Missions Tab of your iDroid device. (This shows up after completing one mission AFTER you build mother base and go through that tutorial) One of the earliest tasks available is to capture and extract a Russian soldier who also speaks English. Though it is technically an optional side-quest, this should be considered a priority-one operation. Capturing this target alive will give Big Boss and his team a Russian interpreter. Without him on your side, you won't be able to interrogate and extract information from any other Russian soldiers.
With a Russian interpreter on your team, it's time to re-evaluate the rules of engagement. If you spot a lone soldier, exposed and broken from the pack, tranquilising or assassinating them is still a viable option, but even better is capturing them in a choke hold (sneak up from behind, without being detected, and hold R2 when at close range). Here, you can force your victim to talk by holding a blade to their throat. The intel you extract ranges from useful to invaluable, with intimidated guards pointing out persons of interest, or the location of more exotic weapons. Once you have the info, you can choke enemies out, or if you like to indulge in your sadistic side, quietly stick a blade in their heart.
If you are having problems with being spotted all the time in a mission:

Before each main mission begins, MGS5 takes players to a load-out screen where Big Boss can be equipped with primary weapons and hand pistols, as well as other useful items. But perhaps just as important is the time of arrival option, which lets players fly into the Afghanistan map at either 6AM, 6PM, or as soon as possible.

Without a doubt, entering a mission at dusk is the most useful of these times. Granted, it's not the best way to appreciate the game's striking landscape, but in the shade of night, the chances of being spotted decrease significantly. At night, the Russian guards' line of sight is diminished to the extent that Big Boss can sometimes freely sprint across areas he would usually have had trouble sneaking into.
Reflex Mode:

It is inevitable, in every first run-through of a Metal Gear game, that you will be spotted, alert guards, and trigger a manhunt for you. However, both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain offer a tiny grace period to dispatch any guards who spot you. This slow-mo reaction time is called Reflex Mode, and lasts about three seconds. While the amateur instinct is to blast away at enemies during Reflex Mode, panicking like this will not end well. Just stay calm, line your crosshair on the enemy's skull, double-check it's in the right position, and fire once.
Also, the game has a great sound track but you have to find the cassettes. Like I mentioned last night, I ran into (Mistakenly) a guard post and when I was marking solders from my vantage point with my binoculars, I heard they were listening to the song Weird Science. I destroyed the guard post, and then found out I could loot the tape and it was added to my playlist. If you feel like blasting into a mission with some hilarious music playing, this is the way to go about it and why exploration is key. You will find resources for Mother Base, Intel, schematics for weapons, and a TON of Easter Eggs. Not to mention some of the Intel really helps with future missions.

It is a very complex game more so than the others to pick up. Listen to all the cassettes and when scrolling through Side Ops read the descriptions to determine which ones will help you the most going further into the game (Or all of them because they are fun anyway). I am sure there is a TON I have not even come close to figuring out yet on my own. I am just now also learning Plant Harvesting and what I can do with that - poison, medicine, etc. There seems to be about 16 layers of awesome complexity here to this game.