Metal Gear Solid V

spronk

FPS noob
ok dumb question if you restart checkpoint does it keep all the resources you gathered before the restart? I'm in mission 1, i spent like an hour just stealthing around every building gathering diamonds and shit. welp, every guy i knocked out ended up waking up as dawn broke (fuck I didn't even realize time was moving forward!!) and i ended up getting spotted and just restarted checkpoint, which put me back before i even entered the area, although all the guards i knocked out were marked now.

i just quit in frustration but when I go back, all the shit I found will be in mother base, right? I kept seeing messages that my stuff was being deposited, which was kinda weird... who snagged it from me and how??? spooky

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Umm... I don't think so. If you restart checkpoint I think you lose all that unless you triggered something that created another checkpoint. Because there are many times in trial and error to A or S a stage I've done that and collected the same resources multiple times.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
In this spoiler is stuff about the ending of the game, don't click it unless you want some shit spoiled, or you've beaten the game

Because of the blowout between Kojima and Konami, MGS V does not have a proper ending. The final boss fight and mission was never completed. A video detailing the events was included on the collector's edition/special edition extra stuff dvd. Here is that video

It explains what the final mission and end of the story was supposed to be.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Umm... I don't think so. If you restart checkpoint I think you lose all that unless you triggered something that created another checkpoint. Because there are many times in trial and error to A or S a stage I've done that and collected the same resources multiple times.
As you said, resources do not save unless you get to a checkpoint. When you do get to a checkpoint / save, you will get a message saying "X resource arrived at base".

What you can do though is somewhat cheese the system. Because all around the mission / town areas, there are save points who for the most part are fixed. So say there is a town, with a center mass of guards and your objective in the middle, but houses and scattered guards around. You sneak, take out individual guards, loot all houses, and you're now left with the much more risky and concentrated hub in the middle. What you can do then is sprint back (usually not that far as save lines are all around each named town/hub) until you trigger a save. Items you have collected will be saved, same with guards you have taken.

That way, if you are trying to do a mission part that requires full sneak, and you get spotted in the end, you can pause, alt tab and close the game, restart, and it will load the save after you ran back and triggered a save. You can then just try the hub again until you find the correct approach.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Hodj how many story missions are there? I am just trying to gauge how far I am into the game. I just finished story mission 22.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Hodj how many story missions are there? I am just trying to gauge how far I am into the game. I just finished story mission 22.
50 from what I understand. I haven't actually beaten the game, and you're probably further than I am. When you beat #50, check out my spoiler post above.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
50 from what I understand. I haven't actually beaten the game, and you're probably further than I am. When you beat #50, check out my spoiler post above.
Okay thanks. I had thought since you posted something about the end you had finished it. The last MGS game I played was 2, but holy fuck this is great. Were 3/4 this good?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Okay thanks. I had thought since you posted something about the end you had finished it. The last MGS game I played was 2, but holy fuck this is great. Were 3/4 this good?
3 was. 4...not so much (in my opinion). But 4's ending is epic and you should probably watch it at some point, its like an hour and a half long. It ties everything up so you understand everything (although 5 retcons some of it, but each new game always retcons some things from previous games because Kojima rikes it). You should definitely play 3 some time.

spronk

FPS noob
i've played 15 hours and only finished 2 missions, went back 3 times to 100% mission 1. i'm never going to finish this game

btw i can confirm what droigan said, you definitely get mats sent back to your base if you run around, pick them all up, run around/away for a bit until you get the yellow save circle and you'll get spammed with "motherbase has received X Y Z", then you can restart checkpoint after that (if you get spotted etc) and all the mats will still be picked up.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
lol, I am right there with you spronk. game rocks but I fucking suck at it.

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm using d-dog alot. He is useful as hell. He just lights up the area with enemy tags and from a descent range too.

edit - The R&D target practice is absolute balls. I tried like 10 times and got sick and tired of just wandering around aimlessly for the last 3-4 targets I had so I said fuck it and just watched a youtube vid.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
He's great until you need to shoot someone with a tranq dart and he's right in the fucking way.

If the stay command left him in one place, it would work much better.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
i've played 15 hours and only finished 2 missions, went back 3 times to 100% mission 1. i'm never going to finish this game
14 hours 5 missions.

Noticed something though, that I am not sure if is a coincidence or a "thing".

I just redid mission 3 (forgot the bathroom tape) and got a very quick S rank on it as I just ran there, and sniped the commander and ran away. 1 shot, 100%, only took a few minutes.

Then I ran back to base, killed everyone, got tape. Continued on a killing spree just sniping outposts looking for materials. After about an hour doing this, I got in the helicopter and extracted. I then got the "volunteers added" window that sometimes pops up after missions. Did not extract them myself since I killed everyone I saw this time around.

However, every single one (there were 5) had the "troublemaker" tag. One had "Troublemaker, harassment, causes PTSD" (sjw reference? if so lol), while others had "violence/causes injuries" and "causes team members to get sick".

Previously volunteers have been doctors, diplomats, etc, and usually I go out of my way to not kill people. Do the people who volunteer reflect how you play? I just fired all of them even though some had ok stats.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Awkward moment when you're running to a side-op from the closest drop-off point and run in to a sniper battle unlisted story mission totally unprepared

still ended up with Quiet as my bae now though

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
so why was Kojima fired? did we ever find out?>
Its complicated.

Long story short it was a money/power and conflict of interests thing. He wants to develop games over long time cycles and make them as good as he can, that isn't very profitable, Konami's corporate culture is also pretty fucked up apparently, very paranoid and shit.

I seriously think Konami will be a mostly mobile games company here in a year or two. That seems to be where they're headed to try and make money.

Metal Gear Solid 1-3's composer might know why Kojima and Konami have split up

The main reason for the falling out, at least in her opinion, is that Kojima gets paid a salary, and doesn't make any profit share on the game. He gets paid a certain amount no matter what, and he was spending so much money and delaying the project, and adding all these features and making sure the game was the biggest and best thing it could be, and Konami was unhappy with that because [delaying] has no effect on him. He was spending the budget on this and that and upgrading the Fox Engine and then delaying further because the engine wasn't ready, and Konami wasn't happy with that because he gets his salary and he takes a more traditional "Japanese man" approach by not taking a profit share. So in doing that, he gets a little more than a game creator would but doesn't take bonuses from the game selling well.

In her eyes, Kojima's a fantastic creator, and probably the best creator of his time, but he doesn't have a strong business sense like Konami would like him to have. Where instead of, for example, cutting corners by lowering foliage resolution, he wants to make sure everything looks as good and polished as possible. She said they paid for her to write 30-40 songs that ended up not being used, and he'd tell her to write another one, then another one, then another one, because he settles for what he likes and has a good mind for what people want to see and what people want to hear.

She's worked directly with Kojima for the music before so she does have some insight, and personally believes that the music has suffered in MGSV because she's not a part of it, because they couldn't afford her. So instead of paying her to go to all these people and recruit them for the music, they chose to remove her from the equation and go to the people directly.
There's two ways to look at this. First is the stance that Konami simply didn't want to give Kojima the funds to make the game to the best of his ability because it'd be too expensive. Konami isn't in the best financial position right now, so putting all of their funds into something like Metal Gear Solid V would be a potentially unnecessary risk.

The other way of looking at it is that Kojima was simply pissing away Konami's funds on things they didn't feel were necessary, and he was safe to keep stretching out development for as long as he wanted while still drawing a salary.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Awkward moment when you're running to a side-op from the closest drop-off point and run in to a sniper battle unlisted story mission totally unprepared
Same thing happened to me. Was doing the 'unlucky dog' side op and ran into it. Real bitch trying to complete it with the tranq pistol.