Metal Gear Solid V

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Comms and power equipment and gets replaced quickly, I wouldn't bother with that (at least not without a certain weapon). Anti-air radar seems to stay dead forever, so I make it a point to blow all of them up.

Be aware that shooting at equipment counts against your accuracy in missions. It's not a huge amount, but could mean the difference between S and A.
Great advice. Thank you
smile.png
Guessing I haven't seen the replacement of comms and power equipment because I haven't progressed far. I did the first 6 or so missions fairly quickly, then nearly halted progress altogether by just doing side ops and messing about.

S ranks are few and far between so not too worried about that at the moment, but good to know that equipment hits counts as misses.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I really don't understand the critical praise for this game. I'm 10 episodes in and so far it's been nothing but recycled objectives in desert outposts that are almost indistinguishable from one another. Being forced to traverse vast, empty land is the opposite of fun. Worst of all, the story is so weird and nebulous that you don't really know what's going on unless you search every nook and cranny for intel and tapes.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Good morale tip

Whenever a person smokes the phantom cigar in front of the platform it automatically raises morale without having to go around and personally salute your soldiers

spronk

FPS noob
I really don't understand the critical praise for this game. I'm 10 episodes in and so far it's been nothing but recycled objectives in desert outposts that are almost indistinguishable from one another. Being forced to traverse vast, empty land is the opposite of fun. Worst of all, the story is so weird and nebulous that you don't really know what's going on unless you search every nook and cranny for intel and tapes.
all of us have a little weaboo in ourselves, and while we try to hide it with having families, relationships, talking to normal people, and eating regular food it takes the genius of hideo kojima and metal gear solid to truly understand that happiness in life comes from playing video games where giant metal robots are integral to world peace and the best kind of relationships are homo-erotic ones with men you kidnap, and one cannot truly be happy unless you are living on a giant oil rig in the ocean surrounded by men who are really, really into S&M.

now come, let us go watch anime together

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Anyone finish Mission 37? If so PM me how you did it? I am having rage inducing controller throwing issues with that damn mission.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So for Ground zeroes, theres 2 missions that are locked. I gotta S all the other side missions or what? Somewhat disapointed at price $20 for what I played thru in a few hours. If it's mostly a prequel get excited for 5, 10-15 woulda been nice as it's basically a PRE-DLC on the same game/engine/etc.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No, you need to collect all the XOF badges in the 1st mission to unlock those missions.

There are guides all over. The last one you have to get on the ground and roll, its stuck to Snake's pack.

The others are spread around the camp. Its not that tough to do, but prolly best to get a list.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So for Ground zeroes, theres 2 missions that are locked. I gotta S all the other side missions or what? Somewhat disapointed at price $20 for what I played thru in a few hours. If it's mostly a prequel get excited for 5, 10-15 woulda been nice as it's basically a PRE-DLC on the same game/engine/etc.
Most of us probably got it for free through PS+ or XBL. Sorry. Although you should have looked up the length before you put down money on it. There's a speed run for the main mission under 4 minutes.

Sludig

Most of us probably got it for free through PS+ or XBL. Sorry. Although you should have looked up the length before you put down money on it. There's a speed run for the main mission under 4 minutes.
I was going by others in the thread saying it was oh so worth it.

Actually got the XOF badge on you from rolling first. Might go back and do the rest but for now laucnhed into main game.

Finding the hold ups frustrating. Walking up silent with my gun on folk and it doesnt stick them up. Some of the time they are in semi alert state so I get that. But had relaxed dudes and not working just right. Do i have to be in actual iron sights mode or just the right click hold ready?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah I've been playing this, its a good game but over rated. It deserves a ding just for recycling areas and especially buildings. Invasions are retarded, another ding. The missions are anything from filler to LSD induced crazy script and everything in between. I don't mind that as much because I do enjoy the sneaking aspects of the game although the easiest path to S mission is to just rush in as fast as possible do the objective and run out with everyone shooting at you. The time bonus for finishing early is stupid high.

Its ok. I don't regret buying it but 10/10? Fuck no.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I've got to back that sentiment up. Although this game's mechanics are fantastic the story is absolutely terrible and the missions are quiet repetitive. Often I feel I'm playing an MMO that's how basic they seem to be. I'm still enjoying this game but after coming from a game like Witcher 3 that in my opinion is one of the greatest games ever made I'm not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed Witcher III

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its kinda funny that Mad Max got dinged for recycled content, while MGS V didn't, I agree.

One thing to know/remember in regards to this game is that, well, to put it bluntly: Its unfinished. Konami pulled the rug out from under Kojima when his game went over 80 million in the budget. That's a big part of why they had the falling out that they did.

You can read all about it all over the internet, there's some big spoilers in there, I posted about them several pages back when I made a post about the ending.

I'm sorry you didn't find GZ to be that entertaining Sludig. I got a solid 25 hours out of it, and paid like 30 bucks or so for it on console, then replayed it on PC when I got a copy for free with my preorder of MGSV. I felt like I got my money's worth out of it, but if you didn't, then that's a bummer.

Sludig

^ Lol.

I'm not creative so creating some of these funny moments might be harder.

Some of my lack of enjoyment probably comes from both not being an S seeking challenge completing completionist. Also somewhat impatient with the sneaking, sometimes get caught on shit that seems dumb or due to movement freaking out. (Ever prone and get stuck trying to move wrong way?) Which when that happens it ends up usually being easier to just rambo it. Suits me better as I'm the one that does do the more Hcore action shooters on hard. From a few things thought 5 was little more heavy on the action shooting than previous. (Who knows could be I'm only on like mission to rescue Zak, while fleeing the meth gas zombie men it crashed.......)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its ok. I don't regret buying it but 10/10? Fuck no.
MGS4 got a shitload of 10's too, and 5 is superior in every way imaginable so they pretty much all had to give it a 10 as well. The ones that gave 4 a 10 and 5 something lower are what I find mind-boggling. Not saying I think it really ought to be a 10, but I am enjoying it at least as much as I did Witcher 3 so far.

As for GZ, I didn't really find it much fun either. It was fine for learning the mechanics, but I didn't like the level design much the first time through, let alone after playing the same map for the 5th+ time. At this point I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just get TPP. The only particularly useful bonus is Kojima, as all the other soldiers suck by the time you get to mission 10 in TPP. Sneaking suit is dumb because all it does is muffle your footsteps; it's actually worse camo than wearing the proper outfit for the area you're in. And the gold arm is just cosmetic.

Going off on a camo tangent, I wish it was less of a guessing game as to which uniform to wear for a mission. I end up wearing 'animal' most of the time in Afghanistan, but I'm not sure if it's also good for Africa or if I should be using 'wetwork'.

Finding the hold ups frustrating. Walking up silent with my gun on folk and it doesnt stick them up. Some of the time they are in semi alert state so I get that. But had relaxed dudes and not working just right. Do i have to be in actual iron sights mode or just the right click hold ready?
You have to walk up behind them with L2 (right mouse for aiming? not sure about PC) held down. You don't need iron sights. The key part is crouching and moving slowly; you can move faster than they move while walking around, but not much more than that. If you wear the sneaking suit or battle dress instead of camo, you can move faster but still not full speed or they will react early. However, if it's raining out, you can move full speed and they won't hear you coming at all.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure the sneaking suit also reduces your visibility to NVG. Could be wrong though.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Still only on mission 3 but I think it's incredible so far. Problem is most of my gaming time has been spent on Disgaea 4 in preparation for 5.

I do find I have less patience at 30 than I did at 15 for flawless stealth runs, and the issue is compounded by the fact that I am MORE obsessive now than then when it comes to optimal completion of objectives in any game. So I'm either gonna have to be more patient, accept that i am gonna get caught, or give up on it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure the sneaking suit also reduces your visibility to NVG. Could be wrong though.
Only in FOB shit. Maybe good for infiltrating, but I would put battle dress on my own guys for defense.

spronk

FPS noob
Still only on mission 3 but I think it's incredible so far. Problem is most of my gaming time has been spent on Disgaea 4 in preparation for 5.

I do find I have less patience at 30 than I did at 15 for flawless stealth runs, and the issue is compounded by the fact that I am MORE obsessive now than then when it comes to optimal completion of objectives in any game. So I'm either gonna have to be more patient, accept that i am gonna get caught, or give up on it.
i've found the best way to approach mgs 5 missions is to do it once in just full on rambo mode, killing shit and giving no fucks. then go back a second time (maybe much later, depending on if you need some gear like better cargo pickups etc) and try and stealth it out. I've done a few missions 3-4 times to get all the objectives completed (still have a few I can't do because my Fulton isn't powerful enough to lift vehicles). Some people will hate doing missions twice and I totally can understand that, but I really enjoy the second time through trying to do it flawlessly and stealth-y. Of course a few missions so far I don't know if I will go back and retry since they tend to be insanely hard, especially any with vehicles or super powerful bad guys.

might come down to a personal preference thing too, I played witcher 3 for 2-3 hours and just couldn't get into it, I don't think I really like dungeons & dragons games that much anymore. But give me this modern or future shit and I lap it up like its cocaine from quiets pussy. I also like to play these kind of games for months, like it took me six months to complete the GTA 5 storyline on PS4, a few hours every week, and I loved all of it.