Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed this game. I one-hundred percented it, something which I never do, and I'm still in game killing orcs. I love how it's just a good power-fantasy, there's nothing to make you feel bad about slaughtering hundreds of orcs, they're all evil sacks of meat and you're doing the free peoples a solid by killing them. Compare that to GTA (a game where free-roam was ruined by old school SJW Jack Thompson) where you have to spend 2 mins evading the cops every time you clip someone on the sidewalk... Bring on Shadow of Mordor 2!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What controls that? I fucking hate when I'm on off fighting a captain and two or three other captains show up out of nowhere when my menu says they should be on the other side of the fucking map. What gives?
If you pay attention to the Sauron's Army screen, you'll have connecting lines from one orc to the other. Whether its a War Chief or a low rank. Level 1's connect to level 2's or lvl 3's, as Im sure you know. Some of them are Body Guards, and if you attack a Body Guard, its a high chance that the higher ranking Orc is in the same vicinity with him and vice versa. So the shit can bubble up real f'n quick. Thats really what you're dealing with. There are Orcs that hunt you down, and Im sure they have the possibility of showing up during a fight - but thats usually not the case. Those generally show up when you're randomly killing an Orc Pack. Anytime it got to ridiculous, I would just cheese the shit out of fights with a Sword Swing, then a flip /rinse /repeat, over and over and over.

-- I just beat the game - didnt 100% it, but I finished off the Bow and the Sword Legendaries and some other stuff that wasnt just a lore item or Glyph. Best game Ive played this year - considering I dont have Consoles anymore and havent had the opportunity, nor means to play Destiny. Worth every penny to play through it once, and then resell the game. Its just a downright amazing game, with an enjoyable story. Just the perfect amount of Assassins Creed without being a straight up copy of it. The controls are annoying at first, but once you've gotten used to them - interrogating and Branding become non-issues.

..And with that lead up to the sequel at the end? Cant wait to play the second one. (If it makes it. /hopes)

Daidraco

you're all sexist bourgeois pigs for liking this game
Kings of Pain: On Gender and Power in Shadow of Mordor |
The Blonde chick was the daughter of a Queen - the Shaman bitch. We already knew that the game borrowed from other games, surprise. What kind of epic story are we really going to come across that hasnt been rehashed to fucking death in some sort of way, anyways? That woman is just looking for something to bitch about, just like people crying over cops killing a Murdering Drug Dealer. At best, she reminds me of one of Fedors Screenshot posts.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So I beat the game and now am trying to finish up a few things, I am no longer able to gain exp and still have one more ability to buy. Anyone have this issue? I can't do one of the missions with out this ability and now I can't see a way to buy it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I beat the game and now am trying to finish up a few things, I am no longer able to gain exp and still have one more ability to buy. Anyone have this issue? I can't do one of the missions with out this ability and now I can't see a way to buy it.
I finished leveling beforehand but I swore I was still getting XP messages long after being finished doing any random thing, including end game.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I had 2 skills left to go after beating it and I was able to get them both without any issue. Are you sure you're still playing the campaign and not one of the trials?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I had 2 skills left to go after beating it and I was able to get them both without any issue. Are you sure you're still playing the campaign and not one of the trials?
Pretty sure, i am still getting the exp message when i get a kill, however it says 0 exp needed to next point and 0 points.

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Someone turns every non-warchief uruk against a warchief in one fight. That seems like more effort than the end result was worth.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone turns every non-warchief uruk against a warchief in one fight. That seems like more effort than the end result was worth.

Should've picked an Combat Master, rapid regen, invuln to melee and invul to ranged Warchief.

Daidraco

Should've picked an Combat Master, rapid regen, invuln to melee and invul to ranged Warchief.
I turned all the warchiefs against one particular warchief because I would end up getting an alarm called on me, get swarmed and die. All because I couldnt jump over him, he had a shield, and I could only get one hit off before he turned around after rolling behind him. Just shoot him? He was immune to range too. As soon as I would get him down low, he would take off like a fucking rocket and then im trying to hop over the horde of shit around me only to not be able to slow him down because hes immune to range. For fucks sake ~ I really had no idea what to do and wasnt going to look up a spoiler.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Even if he's immune to ranged, using the ranged teleport will help to close the gap to a running captain/warchief. Also I think the combat master stuff only works against the Ranger, so using branded orcs to kill seemingly invulnerable orc is a useful tactic.

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
Started playing this tonight, and I must say, I'm underwhelmed. Hopefully it gets better after the first few hours. It's not bad, but (as of now) I definitely disagree with the game of the year talk.

The nemesis system feels gimmicky. I kill a bunch of Chiefs, other Chiefs replace them. Somtimes, Chiefs duel (which consists of a simple animation on the Sauron's Army chess board). Sometimes a chief comes back looking slightly different. That's about it. I guess I'm just not seeing the innovation.

The combat is alright. For some reason it feels even more repetitive than the Batman games. The excitement of chopping off orcs' heads died after the second or third hour.

The graphics are decent, but not very next-gen looking. It doesn't have the same awe-factor as, say, Skyrim. The scenery all looks the same too. I feel like I've spent the whole game in the same 100 square feet.

At this point I'd say 7/10 is pushing it. But I'll keep an open mind. I think I remeber someone else saying it took them a while to actually get into the game.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The game is certainly not going to impress you if you find endlessly killing orcs Arkham style, boring. The Nemesis system gets better when you start to encounter orcs you that kill you. It can take awhile if you avoid the quests and just hunt Captains. Also if you use all of the tools at your disposal it is easy to find ways to cheese the game. The definitely need a hard mode trhat removes or heavily limits stuff like wraith sight, ability points and interrogation.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The combat seems easier than Arkham games as well. At least it seems you have a longer window to counter and can keep your hit streak up easier. I could see it being challenging if they doubled the damage received and removed the counter warnings -- pretty much how Arkham makes the game more difficult as well.

Daidraco

The nemesis wasnt as deep as it sounded when they were making the game - which Im sure some stuff was removed that didnt pan out. The Graphics are insanely better once you use the graphics mod. (When I first saw the Rangers face outside of cinematics - I was terrified. Down Syndrome lvl 9000.)

..and I second the Hard/heroic mode. It has some really truly hard points, but they are few and far between. The Timers you have in the game are insanely long. Leaving a good 30-45 seconds on most timers. I enjoyed the game though, personally. But I also enjoy the Batman series and the Assassins Creed series.

Malkav

French Madman
Got my ass handed to me today by a fucking captain who was invulnerable to melee and ranged. Ah, and his attacks couldn't be parried and he had a shield.
Only thing that damaged him were executions...and of course he had the stupid "call swarms of orcs" trait. He is a gigantic pain in the ass and I can't wait to beat him senseless!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got hammered on Saturday night and wanted to impress everyone with how good I was at this.

At this point I fear logging in I may see all the orcs at P1000+