Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

joz123

Potato del Grande
I don't care about the dlc stuff but the always online shit sucks ass. I'll wait for it to be 5-10 bucks like the last one.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The only way to correct this type of monetization is for the consumers to vote with their wallets. It's our only recourse to combat what I'm sure some executive thought was a great bandwagon to jump on because of the success games like GTA:V online and Overwatch have seen with microtransactions. It's fine for F2P/B2P games where the cosmetic upgrades are innocuous to the overall gameplay, but this shit is just downright retarded in a single player full priced arguably AAA title that's been eagerly awaited by fans of the original. This was a day 1 pre-order for me that has been cancelled for a maybe GOTY (if it gets that far) sale buy on Steam/XBL.

TL;DR - Fuck this cash grab.

Ya in a perfect world. Problem is neckbeards will cry about microtransactions, then buy a 60 dollar game AND the microtransactions.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Guess I'll wait and see how bad the benefits are from the shop, I really enjoyed Mordor, but the always online for a single player game is the most retarded stance you can ever take, as a dev..

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
but the always online for a single player game is the most retarded stance you can ever take, as a dev
I don't think you understand how the technology works.

In order to generate the game the way they do it takes a lot of computing power, a lot. Your console or PC isn't going to handle it well. They offload that on the Azure or AWS servers and just send your client a string of numbers and letters telling it how to actually render it and what attributes to give each orc.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you understand how the technology works.

In order to generate the game the way they do it takes a lot of computing power, a lot. Your console or PC isn't going to handle it well. They offload that on the Azure or AWS servers and just send your client a string of numbers and letters telling it how to actually render it and what attributes to give each orc.
lol

In case you're being serious, what the fuck are you talking about?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
lol

In case you're being serious, what the fuck are you talking about?
So you know how the orcs adjust on the fly with character traits based on how you killed them etc?

All that number crunching is done in the cloud and sent back to the client.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The only way to correct this type of monetization is for the consumers to vote with their wallets. It's our only recourse to combat what I'm sure some executive thought was a great bandwagon to jump on because of the success games like GTA:V online and Overwatch have seen with microtransactions. It's fine for F2P/B2P games where the cosmetic upgrades are innocuous to the overall gameplay, but this shit is just downright retarded in a single player full priced arguably AAA title that's been eagerly awaited by fans of the original. This was a day 1 pre-order for me that has been cancelled for a maybe GOTY (if it gets that far) sale buy on Steam/XBL.

TL;DR - Fuck this cash grab.

Damn tootin.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So you know how the orcs adjust on the fly with character traits based on how you killed them etc?

This isn't the case with this game because you can play offline and only need to be connected to the internet to use the store.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This isn't the case with this game because you can play offline and only need to be connected to the internet to use the store.
Damn I now need to apologize to Tuco Tuco don't make me do that.

Wait are you saying this new one only? I still haven't found the article where I read that they are crunching numbers in the cloud for the first one in order to give a citation.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Damn I now need to apologize to Tuco Tuco don't make me do that.

Wait are you saying this new one only? I still haven't found the article where I read that they are crunching numbers in the cloud for the first one in order to give a citation.

Yeah they have stated (Due to the hoopla surrounding their online store) that you only need to be online to use the store and unlock what you purchase. And that you can play the game offline - which obviously negates the cloud requirement for orc behavior back to the client. I am just going by this:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War’s microtransactions sparks concerns that the game will be always-online

"But the rest of the game can be played offline, as confirmed by Monolith on Discord. The screengrab from NeoGAF reads, “At the moment, you can play offline. And anything [that’s] an online feature will require online.”

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think I have it installed to test 100% but the old one never mentioned online only. And their little "WB Play" or whatever feature never seemed to click on half the time anyway so if that's anything to go by, it'll be lots of fun just not being able to play because their login servers suck.

I'm trying to think if any of the other recent WB games have been online only either... for all the flaws it had, even Arkham Knight didn't require a connection to just mangle Gotham City all day.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Why in God's name would you think any CPU capable of running the graphics engine they use (regardless of GPU) wouldn't be able to process that?

The processing on the CPU for pathing and shadows is orders of magnitude more than whatever simple decision tree they use to calc orc stats.

Anytime you see "We crunch numbers in the cloud, because your computer isn't able to process all that data!" is complete horse shit. They might be able to do something fancy where they can dynamically change how the information is processed (Ex: they find out that spear-chuckers are OP, or they have a global spear-chucking invasion), but it'd be retarded to NOT use the massive processing-center on the user's computer/console for that kind of processing.

I mean, think of it from a server-architecture perspective, what's cheaper, utilizing what is guaranteed to be a fairly beefy CPU (because game engine), or buying/renting/leasing/operating additional server farms to support it?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I remember the shit Maxis shoveled over Sim City having advanced engine features that were only possible through "the cloud". Then we get a map the size of a city block, lol.

• 1Solidarity

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
There is no way there using cloud computing too make adjustments for orcs based on how you kill them, probably using an AI "tree" like what was used for Alien: Isolation, and is pretty much nothing compared to the rest of the games engine run times I bet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I checked out the Nemesis Forge. I only really had one notable nemesis. I killed him midway through the game then fought him again at the end. Is there any way to revive him for Shadow of War, or do I only have the option of bringing back whatever pleb-tier Uruks that are still alive?

Sulrn

Deuces
So I checked out the Nemesis Forge. I only really had one notable nemesis. I killed him midway through the game then fought him again at the end. Is there any way to revive him for Shadow of War, or do I only have the option of bringing back whatever pleb-tier Uruks that are still alive?

Based off the article I read, there is a chance that he will automatically be resurrected.

For allies though, yes they need to be alive.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Someone better stream this day 1 sitting atop a throne of party pizzas.

• 1Worf